Sub: Bewick

Depth:

Tall defenders: Maguire, Bourke, Wearden
Small defenders:

Ruck: Martin, Michael
Tall forwards: Paine, Lisle, Paparone, Close

Midfielders: Beams, Crisp, Hayes
Small forward/midfielders: Polkinghorne, O'Brien, Banfield

Starting 22 is fairly similar to most of the other poters. The departing players have shattered our depth. Draftees will have an opportunity to get plenty of games in their first year.

I think Lester is a lock for the 22 next year... Seemed to miss a few games earlier in the year when black was playing but when black was out and we needed another contested player he got his chance.

Re: Maguire I agree he had a good year last year but it was only good after a shocking 2012. Merritt can play great in defence, Patful is twice reigning club champ and Clarke is the future. Great to have someone like Maguire in the 2's ready to step up.

Re: Raines I think he plays a role very well but generally taggers are picked if you have no one better to pick. IMO a midfield rotation of R,R,R, Moloney, Mayes, Zorko, Hanley, Lester, beams does',t leave much room for a tagger and those guys are too talented and too good at winning their own ball or linking play to leave out for Raines. Again like Maguire I honk its great to have him in the 2's ready to step up and if he's fit he probably plays nearly 20 games over the season as the first midfielder in should any of the above get injured, suspended, have a form slump.

Of any of the opinions above though I'd be more shocked if west isn,t in the team round 1 as second ruck than if any of my statements above we're not the case. Can't see how west isn't in Leppa,s plans ahead of Martin, and I don,t see leppa relying on bit parters like lisle, Merritt as second ruck

I think Lester is a lock for the 22 next year...

I'm a big fan of Lester's but I don't have him as a lock just yet. The starting point of our on ball division is likely to be Moloney, Rockliff, Redden and Rich. I then have the following players who are best 22 and who will rotate on ball (if 2013 is anything to go by) - Hanley, Mayes, Zorko, Golby.

I put Lester on the next level of likely midfielders - a group which includes Polkinghorne, Raines and Beams as well. I'm not sure we will play all 4 of those guys and we probably need to see how the pre-season pans out before a pecking order is truly established. Beams was probably on a par or ahead of Lester before his injury - he's an unknown factor. Raines would be picked for a specific role. And who really knows what might happen with Polkinghorne.

A little further back are the two most impressive reserves midfielders from late last season - O'Brien and Crisp. O'Brien will be hanging out for an injury free pre-season while Crisp is a similar size and style to Lester.

Plus I am not discounting more midfield time for Green and Harwood under a new coach.

I personally would select Lester as the big bodied midfielder who rotates with Moloney but there are too many unknowns at this point in time for me to be really confident that he'll play round 1.

I'm a big fan of Lester's but I don't have him as a lock just yet. The starting point of our on ball division is likely to be Moloney, Rockliff, Redden and Rich. I then have the following players who are best 22 and who will rotate on ball (if 2013 is anything to go by) - Hanley, Mayes, Zorko, Golby.

I put Lester on the next level of likely midfielders - a group which includes Polkinghorne, Raines and Beams as well. I'm not sure we will play all 4 of those guys and we probably need to see how the pre-season pans out before a pecking order is truly established. Beams was probably on a par or ahead of Lester before his injury - he's an unknown factor. Raines would be picked for a specific role. And who really knows what might happen with Polkinghorne.

A little further back are the two most impressive reserves midfielders from late last season - O'Brien and Crisp. O'Brien will be hanging out for an injury free pre-season while Crisp is a similar size and style to Lester.

Plus I am not discounting more midfield time for Green and Harwood under a new coach.

I personally would select Lester as the big bodied midfielder who rotates with Moloney but there are too many unknowns at this point in time for me to be really confident that he'll play round 1.
Raines, Lester, Beams>>>>>> Polkinghorne
I don't think Hanley, Mayes and Golby will rotate on ball a lot. They'll hold down wing and flank spots but I'd be surprised if they played much in the middle. Lester isn't an absolute lock for round 1, but if I was picking the team today he'd be there. I think he'll spend a fair bit of time rotating on ball next year if his fitness improves. I'd love for Zorko and Green to get more midfield time.
Is Crisp a strong inside midfielder? He certainly hasn't played that way in the seniors yet. It would be exciting if he did, that's for sure.

Raines, Lester, Beams>>>>>> Polkinghorne

Not wanting to defend Polks at all because he had a charmed run at with senior selection but he had 4 consecutive games with 20+ possessions this year. You don't put together games like that unless you have the talent to succeed at senior level.

I don't think Hanley, Mayes and Golby will rotate on ball a lot. They'll hold down wing and flank spots but I'd be surprised if they played much in the middle.

FWIW, all 3 spent time on ball this year. Hanley went to the middle relatively regularly while Golby seemed to do it more as he spent more time upfield. It was quite noticeable that Voss's "change up" was to put someone with a bit of toe/agility into the midfield mix instead of relying on our primary onballers who are quite one-paced. The "change up" player was generally either Hanley or Zorko but others were thrown in there.

I don't think that they'll start games in the midfield but I would be very surprised if they all weren't part of the midfield rotation. Mayes in particular looks like a monty to spend more time in the midfield as he develops physically.

I am interested to see Paparone with a full preseason behind him, with his height and running ability he could be a real plus.

I like the idea if Paps and McGuire in the team but its so hard to push some out. Maybe from my team I'd out Bewick. Has any one got updated info on C.Beams with his knee. I read somewhere on the lions website I think that him brown and merrit will do the whole preseason is that correct?

Not wanting to defend Polks at all because he had a charmed run at with senior selection but he had 4 consecutive games with 20+ possessions this year. You don't put together games like that unless you have the talent to succeed at senior level.

FWIW, all 3 spent time on ball this year. Hanley went to the middle relatively regularly while Golby seemed to do it more as he spent more time upfield. It was quite noticeable that Voss's "change up" was to put someone with a bit of toe/agility into the midfield mix instead of relying on our primary onballers who are quite one-paced. The "change up" player was generally either Hanley or Zorko but others were thrown in there.

I don't think that they'll start games in the midfield but I would be very surprised if they all weren't part of the midfield rotation. Mayes in particular looks like a monty to spend more time in the midfield as he develops physically.

I think Golby will stay as a running back specially now Yeo isn't there. Harwood will take Yeos spot. Hanley and Mayes should be left on the wing. They both have elite endurance and goal kicking abilities. Imagine Mayes in 4 years if he continues to develop the engine and skill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My starting 22 is very similar to everyone's here and believe that side can make finals. Problem is if our recent injury form keeps up our depth has been shot with the departure of the 'go home 5' and that's our major roadblock at the moment and why I unfortunately can't see us improving much on last year

My starting 22 is very similar to everyone's here and believe that side can make finals. Problem is if our recent injury form keeps up our depth has been shot with the departure of the 'go home 5' and that's our major roadblock at the moment and why I unfortunately can't see us improving much on last year

This is a fair point.

However if we have a reasonable run I think the following players could cover this by playing multiple games:
  • Beams - could be anything!
  • West - likely to play more games than Longer might have, with his ability to play forward
  • MaGuone - not on the list yet but likely to be best 22 if he signs. Will hopefully play as a target up forward
  • Lisle / Paine - I dont have them in my best 22 but I think both will have some sort of an impact next year. I have a feeling Leppa may look at putting some development into one of them as a key defender
My starting 22
Adcock Merret Patfull
Harwood Clarke Rich
Hanley Malloney Mayes
Zorko MaGuane* Staker
West Brown Green
Luey Rocky Redden
Lester Beams Raines Sub: McGrath
Leaves blokes like Lisle, Golby, Polks, Moose, Paprone, Bewick and Crisp as cover not to mention those ready to take the next step in Hayes, Paine, O'Brien, Weardo and Michael
Add a couple of high draft picks to the mix and I think our depth is reasonable
I may be slightly biased but aren't we all!!

B: Patful, Merret, Harwood
B: Golby, Clarke, Adcock
C: Hanley, Rich, Mayes
F: Zorko, Brown, Redden
F: Green, Lisle, West
R: Leuy, Moloney, Rockliff
I: Staker, Raines, Lester
S: Crisp
E: Bewick, McGrath, Beams

Actually very hard to do. I love Goose and his heart but we can't have three tall defenders playing along with Patful who swings tall and small especially after the loss of Doc and Yeo - we lack a bit of run and smaller lockdown players. Left out Boonji as well as I believe Green and Zorko + Mayes rotating through midfield and forward line are the small attackers we go with looking to the future. Would love to have him there after some really good performances this year, but hard to see him playing consistently in a healthy team.

Tossed up West but threw him in as we need 2 true key forwards to target, not one and a rotating ruckman. Also tossed up Close and Paparone but haven't seen enough just yet. They could both really push for spots. There's also the Macguane possibility.

Bit of an outsider but I reckon Crisp is going to have a break out year. With less depth in the team he gets a really good chance to step up.

Polkinghorne not up to it. Again, haven't seen enough of Beams but if he's healthy he could make a big push. O'Brien a dark horse as he's having his last crack this year.

I don't think we'll play three tall forwards with poor agility. Our forward pressure was poor last season and that won't improve it. Maybe Staker, Brown and West with a resting mid or maybe McGrath. One of Lisle and Paine (maybe rotate them) could learn to play in defence in the reserves.

what would be funny is if West plays more games than Longer as our rotating ruck, of course if that happens then "touch wood" we may have had some injuries.
I think he will definitely play more than Billy probably would have. I regard West as an upgrade on Longer at this time. In 2 years time that might reverse but Billy has certainly only shown glimpses to date. He was regularly beaten at NEAFL level.

B: Adcock Merrit Patfull
HB: Harwood Clarke Golby
C: Mayes Rich Hanley
HF: Zorko Lisle Beams
F: Green Brown McGrath
R: Leunberger Redden Rockliff
I/C: Moloney, Lester Staker
SUB: Bewick

Thats my personal best 22 starting next year

I'm wondering how much bulk Close can put on this pre season. He already looked like he was in the low 90s during the NEAFL finals... If he can get above 95 kegs with his running power, I think he will get a fair few games this year.

Beams has to start in the team next year for Round 1. No question about it.

he's returning from ACL - expect him to start slow and to get eased back into full game mode. Looking forward to Beams playing through our engine room but round 1 would be too optimistic.

B: Golby Merrett Maguire
HB: Harwood Patfull Adcock
C: Mayes Redden Hanley
HF: Green Brown Zorko
F: Bewick West Staker
R: Leuenberger Moloney Rockliff
IC: Rich McGrath Raines
Sub: Lester

Beams - recovering from injury, not ready to put him straight in just yet. Depends on his preseason and he'd probably come in for Raines if he can still bring that defensive pressure.
Martin - I prefer West over Martin, it's that simple.
Clarke - I'd probably start him over Maguire, but I don't expect the club to do so.
Lisle - Voss liked the three tall forward line. I'm yet to see Leppitsch's plans, but assuming they're similar Lisle got the nod until I realised I needed to fit Staker in somewhere and I don't think Staker's a good sub.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back