Remove this Banner Ad

B: Adcock Merret Patfull
HB: Harwood Clarke Golby
C: Aish Rockliff Rich
HF: Mayes Staker Hanley
FF: Green Brown Zorko
R: Leunberger Redden Moloney
IC: Beams Lester West Taylor

Browny is going to have a good time next year, getting on the end of pin point passes from the likes of Mayes, Aish and Rich. 3 elite ball users rotating through the midfield is going to wreak havoc on oppositions defence

Beams and Aish will be the big pushers next year. With those guys in the mix, there is some serious competition for the mid, wing and flank rotation in our side.

Then there's McGuane and Paine pushing for senior spots in our forward line that already has Ash, Stakes, Brown, Lisle, Bewick et al. all jostling for spots.

Can't see Stef Martin getting a game with West in the mix unless Leuey or West get a bit sore, either.

Interesting selection Thursdays ahead.

The Lions have just added talented youngsters James Aish and Lewis Taylor to their list, on top of that Clay Beams is back next year. I think Aish will play plenty of games next year and looks to be a ready made footballer. The Lions midfield depth in 2014 is arguably it's biggest strength that they have. It's important that when a team goes threw a rebuilding phase that you have a deep midfield to build on and Brisbane have that at their disposal.

As an opposition supporter who likes watching Brisbane play, I can't wait to see how good your midfield will be in 2-3 years time when the majority of your on-ball brigade enter their prime.

more than capable of upsets.

Geelong round 2 sounds about right!

Hawthorn Round 1 sounds even better.

As for the best 22, I would think Aish and Beams would be two automatic inclusions and possibly Clarke if he fits structurally. I have a feeling McGuane is going to be in that swingman type role.

B: Golby Merrett Patfull
HB: Harwood Maguire Adcock
C: Hanley Rockliff Rich
HF: Zorko Paine Mayes
F: Green Brown Staker
R: Leuenberger Redden Moloney

I/C: Aish, Beams, McGuane, McGrath

Given our abudance of talls now it will be interesting to see exactly how we set up. Considering Leppa wants 2 rucks will Close be that 3rd tall that covers the ground and pulls a defender away, he most definitely has the fitness to be a running machine.

We have some serious depth now.

The 2s are going to be looking good with all the competion for seniors.

Luv it.

How about a double three-peat?

I think we probably have a better collection of potential best 22 talent now than this time last year. If two of our draftees can be in the mix regularly for senior selection and at least one of our trade-ins becomes a regular we will be well placed. Hopefully a younger player like Close, Crisp or Weardon can advance significantly. Add in Beams and that is five new best 22 players.

I think that is the point we need to get to. Once there are about 28-30 players of a genuine best 22 standard we have the sort of selection dilemmas we want. We then have the luxury of picking quality across the field and allowing for injuries.

Considering we really lost one and a half best 22 in the Go Homes (Yeo and Docherty) I am hopeful we will enter next season with them well and truly replaced.

B: Adcock Merrit Patfull
HB: Rich Clarke Golby
C: Mayes Hanley Aish
HF: Zorko Lisle Beams
F: Green Brown Taylor
R: Leunberger Redden Rockliff
I/C: Moloney, Lester Staker
SUB: Harwood

Thought I would have another crack now that we have drafted. Basically I reckon Aish and taylor go straight in Hanley goes to the middle and I really liked Rich running of half back as he did in a few games this year. Bewick gone and harwood the sub. I am also expecting Michael Close to show a bit this year and freeman to get a few games and impress. Teams looking good starting to get some real depth and class through the middle now all we need is a good 50+goals a year KPF and we are looking at pushing for Finals.

B: Adcock Merrett Patfull
HB: Harwood Clarke Golby
C: Mayes Hanley Rich
HF: Zorko Brown Staker
F: Green Lisle Taylor
R: Leunberger Moloney Rockliff
I/C: Redden Lester West
SUB: Aish

Probably a bit too tall... really need to find a FF and CHF just don't see Lisle offering much. Hopefully Paine, Close, Freeman are pushing for spots during the year.

I think it is great to see that a lot of you guys rate Taylor so highly that you're already naming in starting 18's, but considering he is 173cm and has never played against men before, surely it is a tad optimistic that he has already jumped ahead of proven AFL players in the likes of somewhat similar smaller forward / mid types McGrath (206 games), Polkinghorne (92), Raines (63), Bewick (47) and even the rookie Banfield (53).

I appreciate some of your teams may not necessarily be round one teams, but if they, I'd hazard to guess that Taylor would be someway behind a few of those guys until he at least can demonstrate that he is strong enough to compete against men.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this has been an interesting off season - I know this is about our best 22 but at the same time looking at other teams around our mark I think they've made great strides as well.

Saints lost 2 best 22 (Dal Santo, McEvoy) and may have gained 7 (Savage, Longer, Delaney, Bruce, Billings, Acres, Dunstan)
Melbourne lost the overrated sylvia but bought in Tyson, Salem, Vince, and will have Hogan in, Clarke back from injury, Dawes fit (not saying dawes is good but he's a handy 3rd forward to Clark/Hogan).
WEst Coast can't possibly be as bad as they were this year?
North got Dal Santo and McDonald
Bulldogs finished the year strong and bought in Crameri
Gold Coast got Kolodjashni and Martin will come in
Adelaide will have Walker back and J-Pod and Betts to help him in the forward line.

For us I think we lost 1 best 22 player and would have West and Aish/Taylor as in's to the best 22. Following on from a couple of the posts above I think we'll need a Close or Paine to really step up and unexpectedly take a starting 22 spot (especially as they are key forwards) to firstly hold our place and move up into finals contention. If all of Green, Beams, Harwood, Golby are still in the team at years end then we probably wouldn't be in finals as its the surprise individual improvers that improve the team overall. need these draftees, Crisp to have an upside surprise and like Yeo last year.

I think Essendon and Port have potential to be sliders this year. Can Port do it again? and Essendon losing Crameri and his logical replacement in Gumbleton will be a big load on Daniher's shoulders for a second year player.

If all of Green, Beams, Harwood, Golby are still in the team at years end then we probably wouldn't be in finals as its the surprise individual improvers that improve the team overall. need these draftees.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more with this statement.

On 2013 form alone, one could make the case about Beams not being there, but IMO, Harwood, Golby and Green are all easily best 18 players and if they're not, then who would be in front of each of them?:confused:
Agree, Dylan. Each are team leaders in their position apart from Beams who we know will fight for it and win it.

I still think Bewick will play a role for some of the year and he does have an ability to pop up in forward space at the right time.

It might be that others go past him but he is useful backup.

Golby I feel will keep improving and become more consistent.

I don't think we have seen the best of Harwood yet but when we do he will be an absolute asset. At worst he is great backup. At best he will be in our top ten at B&F time.

I don't mind having Rich play a bit further back coming forward for parts of games. It gives him a bit more time and space to do damage with the ball in his hands. He also reads the play so well that he frequently cuts off the ball and turns defence into attack. With Rich's elite kick he can pick out a team mate 50 metres away and take two steps and drill it to him.

If Beams breaks out this year he can be very damaging and really helps us structurally with strong two way running

The Lions have just added talented youngsters James Aish and Lewis Taylor to their list, on top of that Clay Beams is back next year. I think Aish will play plenty of games next year and looks to be a ready made footballer. The Lions midfield depth in 2014 is arguably it's biggest strength that they have. It's important that when a team goes threw a rebuilding phase that you have a deep midfield to build on and Brisbane have that at their disposal.

As an opposition supporter who likes watching Brisbane play, I can't wait to see how good your midfield will be in 2-3 years time when the majority of your on-ball brigade enter their prime.
Thanks WWSD - We all know you are a closet brisbane lions fan ;)

B: Harwood, Merrett, Patfull
HB: Golby, Clarke, Adcock
C: Rich, Rockliff, Hanley
HF: Mayes, Brown, Zorko
F: Staker, West, Green
R: Leuenberger, Redden, Moloney
INT: Lester, Bewick, McGuane
SUB: Aish

ON THE CUSP: McGrath, Beams, Paine, Crisp, Polkinghorne, Maguire, Raines, Lisle, Taylor, Close, Paparone, Martin

Probably repeating every BFer's sentiments but I have never really expressed my true opinion of our side to anyone before.

This would be an ideal early season scenario barring injury. Aish, much like Wines would wear the sub vest in the first few games before easing himself in as a best 21 player. If we are to play West then I think McGuane needs to be in the side to give us a bit more mobility in terms of marking targets and I think he, Bewick and Staker can be formidable in that role with West plonking a big grab every now and then and Brown undertaking his decoy duties. Beams, Taylor and Raines will work their way into the side and it will really be interesting to see if one of Lisle or Paine can make a big splash and somehow force their way into a stacked forward line. Martin will play when there's injury and I suspect he will be gone by the end of the year. Will be interesting to see how McGrath fits into the scheme of things.

Looking at this side on paper we could be really up there in the next couple of years and if we can put up a fight this season (cause some upsets and you never know), while getting some precious development into the new blokes then the exodus will be a distant memory and we will be firmly in finals chatter by 2015.

I'd have Raines in my best 22 unless we opt for a different tagger. Someone like Beams springs to mind as he has played a couple of games as a tagger. But I'd prefer to have Beams in a different role as he can be damaging and does have a good goal sense. Feel he could add a lot to our side.

this has been an interesting off season - I know this is about our best 22 but at the same time looking at other teams around our mark I think they've made great strides as well.

Saints lost 2 best 22 (Dal Santo, McEvoy) and may have gained 7 (Savage, Longer, Delaney, Bruce, Billings, Acres, Dunstan)
Melbourne lost the overrated sylvia but bought in Tyson, Salem, Vince, and will have Hogan in, Clarke back from injury, Dawes fit (not saying dawes is good but he's a handy 3rd forward to Clark/Hogan).
WEst Coast can't possibly be as bad as they were this year?
North got Dal Santo and McDonald
Bulldogs finished the year strong and bought in Crameri
Gold Coast got Kolodjashni and Martin will come in
Adelaide will have Walker back and J-Pod and Betts to help him in the forward line.

For us I think we lost 1 best 22 player and would have West and Aish/Taylor as in's to the best 22. Following on from a couple of the posts above I think we'll need a Close or Paine to really step up and unexpectedly take a starting 22 spot (especially as they are key forwards) to firstly hold our place and move up into finals contention. If all of Green, Beams, Harwood, Golby are still in the team at years end then we probably wouldn't be in finals as its the surprise individual improvers that improve the team overall. need these draftees, Crisp to have an upside surprise and like Yeo last year.

I think Essendon and Port have potential to be sliders this year. Can Port do it again? and Essendon losing Crameri and his logical replacement in Gumbleton will be a big load on Daniher's shoulders for a second year player.

If that seven are all best 22 for Saints, it screams volumes about how shit their best 22 must have been before.
Melbourne is similar.

Bulldogs and North and Gold Coast are all about where we are anyway. I don't think they got substantially better by their ins than us.

No one predicted West Coast and Adelaide to have the seasons they had - we're going to see something similar happen to someone. It might be us, but there's an equal or higher chance it could be Carlton or Port or Collingwood that crash and burn because of key injuries and bad form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back