IC: Cox Shuey Selwood Cripps
Sub: some new punk from the draft

Trade Out

Priddis
Waters
Rosa
Pick 1 if we can get a gun

Trade in

One of Griffen, Watson, Rich, Yarran. Offer Griffen and Watson the captaincy.

Midfield Rotation

Griffen/Watson/Rich/Yarran
Wellingham
Shuey
Gaff
Masten
Selwood

Crumber/Lock in small forward
Kerr

Other changes

Play Shepard on wing all year.
Switch Schoey to wing. Can go do a job down back if needed
Play Gaff on the ball
Use Cripps as a shut down player if needed

If Shep can put on a little bit more mass he would be a useful winger. Griffen in the middle... would be nice :p Would you not switch Hill and Le Cras? I know now there is no real 'forward pocket', but I think he does his best forward deeper in the forward line, leading out.

• Banned
Would you not switch Hill and Le Cras? I know now there is no real 'forward pocket', but I think he does his best forward deeper in the forward line, leading out.
Much of a muchness. Got Dabba at FB but he doesn't often play FB. Got Gaff on the HFF but he would be rotating through the midfield.

Brown Glass Wilson
Hurn E.Mac Waters
Gaff Wellingham Rosa
LeCras Kennedy Sheed
Cox Darling Yarran
Foll: NN, Shuey, Masto

I/C: Schofield, S.Sel, Priddis, Sub: Kerr

think sheed should be ready BB.

personally id like to trade out priddis, ash smith and maybe rosa

gain yarran, conca, colyer and maybe jetta/palmer

draft sheed.

free agency: **** it go for franklin or thomas.

wishful thinking.

I like some of the ideas being thrown up.

I think it's important we use Darling as a third tall, so that opens up an opportunity for McGovern to play CHF, if he can handle the running. He also could assist in the ruck: basically playing Lynchy's old role.

I'd like to see Carter persisted with. He's shown poise and good ball distribution already. He's overrun the ball a couple of times, but that can be worked on. He actually looks like he knows how to play football, which puts him ahead of Brennan and Smith.

I'm still in the same mindset as I was last season in relation to Hill. I think he's a very good footballer and don't question his value as a HF, but I'm not sure we can afford the luxury of playing him at the expense of a midfield rotation.

Carter Mackenzie Glass
Hurn Brown Waters
Gaff Wellingham Rosa
Darling McGovern Masten
LeCras Kennedy Cox

NN Shuey Selwood
Schofield Kerr Priddis Sheppard.

JFK or Scooter for the captaincy, doubt they'd saddle it to anyone we acquire (even if it were Griffen) because there's so much ready built
leadership here. Waters seems to have missed his shot despite being a lock for captain for the past 5 years after Glass.

Based solely on current list as is:

FB: Waters Glass Brown
HB: Schofield EMac Hurn
C: Gaff Wellingham Rosa
HF: Masten JK Hill
FF: LeCras Cox Darling
Followers: NN Selwood (c) Shuey

INT: McGinnity, Shep, Cripps
SUB: Raffle it....Kerr maybe? Shep? Whoever we draft?

Trades;
Priddis -> 2nd round
Smith -> a washing machine

Retire: Embley, Selwood, Nicoski
Delist: Newman

Brown Glass Wilson
Hurn E.Mac Waters
Gaff Wellingham Rosa
LeCras Kennedy Sheed
Cox Darling Yarran
Foll: NN, Shuey, Masto

I/C: Schofield, S.Sel, Priddis, Sub: Kerr

A land before time.

I like some of the ideas being thrown up.

I think it's important we use Darling as a third tall, so that opens up an opportunity for McGovern to play CHF, if he can handle the running. He also could assist in the ruck: basically playing Lynchy's old role.
In the vein of doing something different, I'd like to see the MC aim for certain players' strengths rather than forcing them to be something they are not.

B: Carter - Mackenzie - Glass
HB: Hurn - Brown - Waters
C: Schofield - Masten - Gaff
HF: Shuey - Kennedy - Darling
F: Cox - LeCras - Hill
R: Naitanui - S. Selwood - Wellingham

IC: Cripps - Rosa - Priddis - Kerr

In the forward line Mark LeCras had his best seasons playing a lead out FF. On song he's highly accurate, and able to work as a crumbing target as well. He's a hungry player so much more valuable as a goal-kicker than midfielder. LeCras is a hard match up, because he's quicker than most tall defenders and better overhead than most medium/small defenders, who also are generally poor at defending leads. He allows the resting tall to sit in the goal square as a second target rather than needing to lead hard, and also allows Josh Hill to do the sneaky in the background things which he's best at.

Jack Darling isn't the tallest forward going around, but has genuine speed and should benefit from playing a runaway half-forward role rather than a contested tall-forward role. His defensive efforts would also be appreciated further from goal. Moving him further from goal and using his run will generally seem him involved less in 2 on 1 marking contests where his height is a factor, and more likely to be matched up on a running defender. Darling could be the forward tagger who hurts the opposition with a few goals.

Playing Schofield up the ground has been inspired, as it allows him to use his running power whilst allowing Glass to play the 3rd tall. Schoey affects contests more than Gaff, Sheppard, and Rosa and of recent his disposal and decision making have been decent. Having Glass as the third tall gives Mackenzie the confidence to run off his man and make long kicking plays, which is less evident when Glass is the second tall and has to stay with his man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Embers retiring, all i'd like to see is Schoefield virtually a permanent fixture on the wing. His aerial capability and run and carry make him a perfect link up man. He is a natural replacement for Embley and i'd love to see him attacking the forward 50 with his run. Gaff and Rosa can own the other wing, with Gaff getting more time in the guts.

Also, if Kerr's body isn't capable of running out full games next year, don't start him, but leave him as a high impact sub. He is the type who can come on early 3 quarter time and have 10-12 high quality contested possies in 2 quarters and turn the game.

JFK or Scooter for the captaincy, doubt they'd saddle it to anyone we acquire (even if it were Griffen) because there's so much ready built
leadership here. Waters seems to have missed his shot despite being a lock for captain for the past 5 years after Glass.

Getting Griffen is highly unlikely but I'd suggest we'd have to offer him the captaincy role as part of the package. He'll be Dogs captain next year.

Watson is also worth talking to in case he and Dad Tim are really dirty at Essendon over the scandal. Massive massive long shot but the question needs to be asked of his manager if there is any chance.

B: Butler - Mackenzie - Glass
HB: Hurn - Brown - Waters
C: Rosa - Masten - Gaff
HF: Shuey - Kennedy - Darling
F: Cox - LeCras - Hill
R: Naitanui - S. Selwood - Wellingham

IC: Draft pick (mid) - Schofield (wing/utility) - Priddis (IM)
Sub: Kerr (Highly manged season - sub + rest and keep him going for finals hopefully)

Trades: If we got Yarran he would either take the position of Butler or Hill. If we think we can get his defensive side going I'd rather him back. I've gone totally off Conca. Too much high potential in the draft - Conca is relatively safe but his ceiling just doesn't seem that high.

Forward Line: I agree with Agent93 about LeCras. I would say the way to play the forward line would be for Kennedy and LeCras provide the leading options in the fwd 50. Darling and Shuey/whoever play high and look to fast break back. Cox/NN sit in the goal square for when the long ball is on. Hill needs to read the play and crumb off the marking player - need more crumbing goals rather than marks.

I feel we kick to the pockets too often - I image this is for synergy with the press/general defense since it's less likely to be rebounded but I tend to think we have the offensive/defensive balance wrong here since it's also extremely hard to crumb off these contests.

I'm tempted to put McGinnity in as a forward tag but he either has to come in for Hill (lose our crumber) or come off the bench at the expense of a mid so I had to leave him out. If we choose to play a loose man back though someone has to be tagging the oppositions ideal lose man e.g. Birchall since we know teams don't let Hurn run free for us.

Defense: I like this back 6. So much more rebound than we've had this year - particularly if we get Yarran. Even though Smith annoys me I'd put him in next or maybe Wilson. The problem with this team is realistically the defense doesn't have the rotations it needs so Schofield would have to rotate through the defense and only occasionally play wing. I think this is fine since Rosa and Gaff and both limited in their ability to play elsewhere.

Keep in mind there is also a chance we draft a mid who we think should start off as HBF with brief time in the middle - if we do that have more defensive rotations. Bontempelli for instance is not going to be ready to play his eventual position initially.

Midfield: Doesn't this look a hell of a lot better than anything we've fielded this season? There's an argument to try Darling in the middle but without injury I'd say that probably won't happen.

I think it's hard to read the midfield. There's obviously two main conclusions one could come to: either the mids we've played this year just aren't good enough or the set-ups are bad. I'm going to take the easy way out here and say it's a bit of both.

It seems our set ups aren't right because we aren't winning clean ball out of stoppages - tbh I'm not sure why this is but the crux of it is we don't get handball chains going to create space. Consequently we aren't running in ways that allow us to break lines.

Some will blame this on a Priddis focus and I think this has some merit - with some important caveats. Here's some things he does well: Good first touch, strong (can take contact and still dispose of the ball, tackle inside, get his body over the ball), good (but not great) handball efficiency. I.e. he is a competent inside midfielder but he needs to be used right.

To me his strength is winning the ball when it's in a truly neutral position - i.e. In most cases DON'T tap it to him. Tap it to Wellingham and Shuey and occasionally Scooter. Priddis is there for true inside balls because he has the strength to dig it out of contests.

NN
basically does this - he hits to the runners and occasionally will do a quick knock to Priddis which works better because space is created by the threat of the runners. Basically NN is amazing :hearts:

The suggestion though is often to play guys like Selwood and Shuey in Priddis' position since they are more dynamic. They may be but they also fumble the ball way too much atm. Wellingham does have some potential here though and I'm hoping for a tall mid with our first pick to get into the mix as well.

That was some epic procrastination. well done if you read all of that! :rainbow:

Again, why trade out Waters and Rosa now after down years, where their value will almost certainly be lower than usual. I do like the team, but it imply's that we will nail that "big fish" which most likely wont happen, especially when the trade out options you have presented will be at a lull in their value.

Getting Griffen is highly unlikely but I'd suggest we'd have to offer him the captaincy role as part of the package. He'll be Dogs captain next year.

Watson is also worth talking to in case he and Dad Tim are really dirty at Essendon over the scandal. Massive massive long shot but the question needs to be asked of his manager if there is any chance.

Other risk with Watson is him not actually being able to play next year.

Again, why trade out Waters and Rosa now after down years,
They have both had injuries this year. Both would get decent trades.

With Waters it's about getting him out of the team. He's a liability in my books.

With Rosa I think he's at his peak and think we can do better. Will get a decent pick for him (35-40ish).

I do like the team, but it imply's that we will nail that "big fish"
No it doesn't. My team would be the same without a big fish. Just take out Griffen, put Wellingham in the middle, and bring Sheed or whoever it is onto the bench.

The only questionable about the team is it may not have enough grunt/mongrel. Dumping Waters, Priddis, McGinnity, Rosa leaves a bit of a big bodied hole. We'd rely on Scooter and Kerr to provide some grunt and Cripps and Shepard would have to step up.

The team I named could win a flag. This why, however big the longshot (and it's big) we need to approach Griffen, Watson, and Rich. And we need to dispense with Priddis. Delist him if we have to. He just has to go at all cost.

which most likely wont happen, especially when the trade out options you have presented will be at a lull in their value.
To get any of those players I mentioned we'd have to part with our first pick, and another player. Maybe Selwood, maybe Waters, maybe priddis, maybe Rosa. And this assumes the player asks to be traded to us.

Carter will want to live up to the hype he gets here, otherwise you'll all turn against him like he's satan.

The problem people turn on players is average Joes on an internet forum work out when a player is not up to it but it takes the coaching staff 4 extra years to work it out.

Carter for me is an unknown quantity. I have named him in my team because I want to see how he goes. If it doesn't work he can be replaced with Butler or Morton.

Ash Smith isn't up to it and although Brennan provides grunt, I'm not sure his disposal and decision making is up to. Unlike Smith I haven't put a line through but liked the look of Carter and Wilson and want to see if they can be consistent.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Best 22 for 2014 + structures and strategies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back