HB: Tuohy Henderson Stewart
C: Duncan Ablett Kelly
HF: Menegola Menzel Cockatoo
F: Parfitt Hawkins McCarthy
R: Stanley Dangerfield JSelwood
I: Ratugolea SSelwood CGuthrie Henry
E: Abbott Taylor Cunico Fogarty

Tough choice to leave Taylor out, but I have Kolo ahead of him

I reckon Menzel might go. Danger in the middle hurts us too often with his butchering of the ball and no defensive running. It's time to put him permanent forward. I reckon it'll be something like:

B: Stewart Blicavs O'Connor
HB: Henderson Taylor Thuoy
C: Ablett J Selwood Kelly
HF: Parfitt Ratugolea Dahlhaus
F: Dangerfield Hawkins Cockatoo
R: Stanley Duncan Guthrie
I: S Selwood Bews Narkle McCarthy

Menegola will obviously play because he's best 22 and we'll have injuries but I'm still filthy about his performance last night so he's out for now. Ditto Henry although I think he's behind the other talls I've named.

With our defence looking solid Guthrie should play midfield to give us some defensive solidity. He finished the year pretty well.

At the start of the year my smoky to break into the team was O'Connor. I'm going to claim that as a pretty good get. This year my smoky is Parsons. There's a quality player in there waiting to be found. That should generate some discussion...

Guthrie cannot be in our best side.
He offers nothing to the side that others don’t do better. He sits out waiting for the ball to be given to him and when he does get it he butchers the ball

Is McCarthy signed? I cannot see how a forward that rarely been sighted can be best 22.

Ablett plays 70% forward pocket. Huge defensive liability in the middle. Cannot put his arms above his shoulders in a contested situation. Always goes one handed. Also cannot tackle a running player.

Taylor, sorry to say but he's on the precipice. Probably hanging by a toenail.

This mini restructuring doesn't have much more legs. We are wasting the back end of Selwood's and Hawkins' careers.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon Menzel might go. Danger in the middle hurts us too often with his butchering of the ball and no defensive running. It's time to put him permanent forward. I reckon it'll be something like:

B: Stewart Blicavs O'Connor
HB: Henderson Taylor Thuoy
C: Ablett J Selwood Kelly
HF: Parfitt Ratugolea Dahlhaus
F: Dangerfield Hawkins Cockatoo
R: Stanley Duncan Guthrie
I: S Selwood Bews Narkle McCarthy

Menegola will obviously play because he's best 22 and we'll have injuries but I'm still filthy about his performance last night so he's out for now. Ditto Henry although I think he's behind the other talls I've named.

With our defence looking solid Guthrie should play midfield to give us some defensive solidity. He finished the year pretty well.

At the start of the year my smoky to break into the team was O'Connor. I'm going to claim that as a pretty good get. This year my smoky is Parsons. There's a quality player in there waiting to be found. That should generate some discussion...
Agree with all, If Thurlow goes then maybe parsons to do a preseason done back.

B: xxxxx, Blicavs, Tuohy
HB: Stewart, Henry, J.Selwood
C: Kelly, Constable, Cunico
HF: xxxxx , Ratugolea, Parfitt
F: xxxxx , Hawkins, Narkle

Foll: xxxxx , Dangerfield, Duncan

Int: Fogarty, xxxx, xxxxx, xxxxx

That’s it for me. Need to give decent games to our youngsters and bring in more.

I want to see a new boot studder and or boot supplier. I want every ****ing one of them in long studs from day one.

If i see another possession lost to slipping over i'm gonna lose it. Its been ridiculous how many times its happened and it must stop and stop now.

Momentum is hard enough to get in this game and to lose it continuously all year as a result is beyond frustrating

Go Catters

Best 22:
B: Bews Blitz Stewart
HB: Tuohy Kolo Henry
C: Cunico Duncan Kelly
HF: Menegola Ratugolea Narkle
F: Parfitt Hawkins Dahlhaus
R: Stanley Danger Selwood
Int: Fogarty Constable Yablett Cocky

Players to go: Guthrie, Linc, Menz Hendo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best 22:
B: Bews Blitz Stewart
HB: Tuohy Kolo Henry
C: Cunico Duncan Kelly
HF: Menegola Ratugolea Narkle
F: Parfitt Hawkins Dahlhaus
R: Stanley Danger Selwood
Int: Fogarty Constable Yablett Cocky

Players to go: Guthrie, Linc, Menz Hendo
Kolo is too much of a liability, when he is pressured he takes the wrong option too often or fumbles.

Henry and Blitz to be the KPD’s going forward, Stewart to play the third defender role and look for some run and delivery for the other defender positions

Assuming everyone on the playing list is available:

B: Bews Blicavs Kolo

Will do my team including my wish list of trades..

B: tuohy Blicavs K kolo
HB: j selwood Henderson Stewart
C: C Guthrie parfitt Kelly
HF: Ablett Sav cockatoo
F: Dahlhaus Hawkins Henry
R: Stanley P dangerfield Duncan
I: Narkle Fogarty Constable Rohan

Probably left Someone out important.

Assuming everyone on the playing list is available:

B: Bews Blicavs Kolo

That's a bottom four side right there!

Time to start to plan for the future:

B. Bews, Blitz, Kolo
HB. Stewart, Henry, Tuohy
C. Duncan, Menegola, Kelly
HF. Parfitt, Rata, Cockatoo*
F. Dalhaus, Hawkins, Menzel*
R. Stanley, Selwood, Dangerfield
I/C. Narkle, Fogarty, Constable, Cunico*(Cocky will probably tear both hammies after first pre-season session)

Rotation players: Ablett*-only if Menzel is fit, Henderson, S. Selwood, Taylor, Guthrie

Defence: Bews, Blicavs, Tuohy, Kolo, Stewart, Henry, Henderson.
Mids: Stanley, Ablett, Dangerfield, Selwood, Kelly, Duncan, Cunico
Forwards: Hawkins, Parfitt, Menegola, Narkle, Fogarty, Ratugolea.
Up for grabs: Guthrie, Menzel, Thurlow, Scooter, Abbott/Smith, Constable.

That's a bottom four side right there!
Repeating this over and over does not make it true. We will finish nowhere near bottom 4 next season.

That’s it for me. Need to give decent games to our youngsters and bring in more.

I like it and would like to see some of our 2018 draftees in those spots on the i/c but i'd definitely have Henderson in that back pocket. I've changed my mind on O'Connor after the last month so I'd give him a guernsey on i/c. Would like to see Bailey Scott on that half forward flank spot but we'll see which club he chooses after last night's torture session.

Add Bews to the back pocket. I'd like both Narkle and Parfitt as midfielders as I think that's where we will see their strengths. If Stanley continues his good past form then he's a lock. Forward line is still very bare and inexperienced outside of Hawkins. A lot is writing on Sav to become a good solid player. Let's seriously hope we nail this draft.

Add Bews to the back pocket. I'd like both Narkle and Parfitt as midfielders as I think that's where we will see their strengths. If Stanley continues his good past form then he's a lock. Forward line is still very bare and inexperienced outside of Hawkins. A lot is writing on Sav to become a good solid player. Let's seriously hope we nail this draft.

Not sure about Bews. He’s not terrible by any means but I dont have him as a lock if we are to truly restructure our list.

O’connor Blicavs J Kolo
j Selwood Henry Stewart
Dahlhaus Danger Duncan
Cockatoo Hawkins Narkle
Menegola Ratugolea Ablett

R- Stanley, Kelly, parfitt

Inter: Constable, Fogarty, Cunico, H Taylor

Emg: Bews, c Guthrie, Z Guthrie, Jones, Murdoch, Abbott, Buzza, Parsons

VFL player-coaches to see out contracts: Henderson, s Selwood

delist: Thurlow, Z Smith (trade), McCarthy, Menzel, GHS, house, Gardner, Crameri, Hayball,

Last edited:
one thing if we are going to actually win finals next year
the improvement will have to come from the kids and lets hope they don't break down

so to play them I think some of the proven final failures will struggle to get a game, come to mind is Menegola
also like to see who are the worsts performers coming back after the bye out curiosity

Opinion Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back