Opinion Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

FB Henry Blicavs Guthrie
HB Stewart Kolodjashnij Tuohy
C Duncan Kelly Cuncio
HF Cockatoo Hawkins Dahlhaus
FF Dangerfield Ratugolea McCarthy
Fol Stanley Selwood Parfitt
Int Menegola, Small forward(Fogarty), Defender(Bews), Defender(O'Connor)

Is McCarthy signed? I cannot see how a forward that rarely been sighted can be best 22.
There is a bit of talk about McCarthy being courted by the Lions in a bid to lure his best mate to the Brisbane.

BRISBANE has doubled down on its attempts to lure Fremantle's Lachie Neale across the country, targeting his junior teammate and close friend Lincoln McCarthy from Geelong.

see more here http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-07/could-cat-lead-lions-to-gun-docker

B: Tom Stewart (25, 43, 22) - Mark Blicavs (27, 133, 23) - Jed Bews (25, 71, 21)
HB: Zach Tuohy (29, 168, 23) - Lachie Henderson (29, 165, 7) - Jake Kolodjashnij (23, 70, 23)

R: Rhys Stanley (28, 115, 15) - Patrick Dangerfield (28, 224, 22) - Gary Ablett (34, 321, 19)
C: Mitch Duncan (27, 180, 21) - Joel Selwood (30, 272, 23) - Tim Kelly (24, 23, 23)

HF: Sam Menegola (26, 53, 23) - Esava Ratugolea (20, 8, 8) - Brendan Parfitt (20, 34, 19)
F: Dan Menzel (27, 73, 13) - Tom Hawkins (30, 232, 21) - Nakia Cockatoo (22, 34, 2)

I: Cameron Guthrie (26, 141, 13) - Scott Selwood (28, 167, 13) - Luke Dahlhaus (26, 154, 17) - Quintin Narkle (21, 6, 6)

I hope we don't go for a flag next year. We are in an advantageous position where we have players we know aren't up to it when it matters but still have good trade value.
Trade Menegola, Guthrie, Kolo, Duncan, Henderson,Taylor and go to the draft.
For those of you who must stay competitive at any cost, this team even with Menzel, Murdoch, Thurlow, GHS, Gregson, McCarthy goneskies still aint to bad.

Bews, Blitz, 2E
Stewart, Henry, Oconnor
Danger, Selwood, Ablett
Dollhouse, Savrat, Cocky
Narkle, Hawkins, Miers
F: Stanley, Contstable, Kelly
Int: Fog, Cunico, Parfitt, Scooter.
Not saying I disagree with your sentiment but what you suggest would both be the biggest single season clear out of best 22 (non-retiring) players in AFL history, and the least likely scenario to actually happen. Odds on it's probably more likely that none of these in the first list leave than even 1 of them, let alone 6. Ha and then you go on to remove another 6. At least from the latter list a few are likely to go.

Not saying I disagree with your sentiment but what you suggest would both be the biggest single season clear out of best 22 (non-retiring) players in AFL history, and the least likely scenario to actually happen. Odds on it's probably more likely that none of these in the first list leave than even 1 of them, let alone 6. Ha and then you go on to remove another 6. At least from the latter list a few are likely to go.
Yeah i know it'd never ever happen in a million years.
But honestly I think that's what would be best for the club long term

FB Bews Blicavs Stewart
HB Tuohy Henderson J Selwood
C Duncan Parfitt Constable
F Ablett Ratagolea J Jones
R Stanley Dangerfield T Kelly

Int Menegola Narkle S Selwood Cunico

This is what I'd like to see first round next year, Joel to the backline, Garry up forward and the youth (faster) in the middle. But we do not know who else we may recruit so this is subject to change.

Yeah i know it'd never ever happen in a million years.
But honestly I think that's what would be best for the club long term
I wouldn't mind it either. I know it's considered melting to just say clear out half the list but the ones you indicated (besides soon to retire Taylor) just aren't finals performers. I would keep Kolo as he has age on his side and if used properly in a key defensive post still has capability. You also need good backup if Henry or Blitz are injured or required in different roles. I would also keep Thurlow personally as he has upside upon finding continuity and confidence but it appears the club are of the opposite opinion. Sadly Menzel does appear shot, or at the very least what's left of his body can't handle finals. I would give not Gregson but McCarthy one final year as unlike the former he has showed a bit when (which is rare) that he's healthy. He's a real small forward and not a fish out of water midfielder shoe horned up there like Parsons who will otherwise likely take that spot instead.

We have actually uncovered some exciting youth the past couple of years so would really like to see them backed in. No, that doesn't mean tanking and aiming for the bottom. But hold onto our high draft picks, play a good number of 1st-4th yearers with the older guys supporting them, but clear out the mid range floaters who are proven finals non-performers.

Much as I said to your post though, I don't really think much of what I just said will actually happen. I'll settle for Narkle, Parfitt, Henry, Sav and the like, plus some of the even less tried sorts getting a good go with more of a look to 2023 than 2019. I know the stars up the top will have left by then but let's at least get the early 20s bracket to a level where they can take the responsibility our Guthrie's, Duncans etc should have by now in the current team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For Round 1 next year I’d go with:

FB: Bews - Blicavs - Henry
HB: Tuohy - Henderson - Stewart
C: Duncan - Narkle - Ablett
HF: Menegola - Ratugolea - Parfitt
FF: Dahlhaus - Hawkins - Rohan
R: Stanley - Dangerfield - J. Selwood
INT: Jones, O’Connor, Cockatoo, Fogarty.

That’s what I’d go with if I was picking the team myself. Obviously that means I wouldn’t be picking Taylor, C. Guthrie, Kolodjashnij, or S. Selwood in the seniors. Taylor can teach the young defenders coming through in the VFL, and he only comes in to play seniors if there is an injury to a key defender. Meanwhile Kolo, Scooter & C. Guthrie don’t come into the seniors until they are absolutely dominating in the VFL for multiple weeks in a row.

That team is assuming Menzel (to Saints probably) & Kelly (to WA) both leave.

It is also assuming that we get Dahlhaus & Rohan both to the club.

Constable EMG as the next midfielder in line to come in. Narkle gets first crack at more inside midfield time, would also like to give Fogarty some more too.

With Ratugolea back it allows Henry to move down back where he played his best footy, also means he doesn’t have to worry about rucking at all. I prefer Henry over Kolo hence why I’ve given him the spot.

If Dahlhaus or Rohan or both don’t come to the club then guys like Scooter, Miers, or Constable would come into the side.

Won’t happen but we can all dream.

Need a final list, but these are too hard to resist

B Stewart Blicavs Bews
HB Tuohy Hendo Henry
C Duncan Parfitt C.Guthrie
HF Dahlhaus Sav Dangerfield
F Cocky Hawkins Narkle
Foll Stanley Kelly J.Selwood
Int Ablett Fogarty
O'Connor Kolo

Em Taylor, Smith/Abbott, Constable, Cunico, S.Selwood, Jones, Miers and a couple of the new intake

If we can't lock Kelly down and he wants to leave, Menegola stays and probably plays.

Heard Juddy on Ablett, and he's right, Ablett should be playing as a defensive sweeper from midfield at this stage of his career. Same could be said for Joel IMO, but if we go with a younger midfield setup he'll be needed there.

Danger should be 70% forward. Need to see what Parfitt, Narkle, Cocky, Fogarty, Constable can do in the midfield.

Kolo far away from a lock, wouldn't be unhappy if he's not in the team.

Our defence is the least of my concern. Defensive sweepers and midfielders who can run both ways, on the other hand....

Last edited:

That’s what I’d go with if I was picking the team myself. Obviously that means I wouldn’t be picking Taylor, C. Guthrie, Kolodjashnij, or S. Selwood in the seniors. Taylor can teach the young defenders coming through in the VFL, and he only comes in to play seniors if there is an injury to a key defender. Meanwhile Kolo, Scooter & C. Guthrie don’t come into the seniors until they are absolutely dominating in the VFL for multiple weeks in a row.

Constable EMG as the next midfielder in line to come in. Narkle gets first crack at more inside midfield time, would also like to give Fogarty some more too.

With Ratugolea back it allows Henry to move down back where he played his best footy, also means he doesn’t have to worry about rucking at all. I prefer Henry over Kolo hence why I’ve given him the spot.

If Dahlhaus or Rohan or both don’t come to the club then guys like Scooter, Miers, or Constable would come into the side.

Lots too like about that team and what you're saying

B: xxxxx, Blicavs, Tuohy
HB: Stewart, Henry, J.Selwood
C: Kelly, Constable, Cunico
HF: xxxxx , Ratugolea, Parfitt
F: xxxxx , Hawkins, Narkle

Foll: xxxxx , Dangerfield, Duncan

Int: Fogarty, xxxx, xxxxx, xxxxx

That’s it for me. Need to give decent games to our youngsters and bring in more.

Constable is the odd one out but I agree with the general idea.

My hope is that they can conjure a decent number of picks in the first two rounds of the draft and have some better prospects to fill those spots in the 22 with. Playing X number of sub-50 gamers each week is meaningless if they’re no good.

Would much rather finish 12th but look like we’re building towards something than scrape into the finals yet look like we’re on the way down.

The changes I want to see:

- Menzel gone. Never gong to be a team player. Such a bloody shame because he's such a gun. Individual brilliance doesn't take precedence over the common goal, though.
- Danger out of the middle. He's more use in the forward line. Errant kicking is incredibly deflating in key moments. Could even be of use on a wing, given his metres gained. He could be a useful transition player to beat team zones?
- Parsons out of the team permanently. Obvious reasons. Ditto Murdoch. These guys are worst-case-scenario utilities at most. That's all they'll ever be.
- Ablett out of the middle. Next year he'll be older and slower than he is now. Can't expect a 35-yo player to apply genuine defensive pressure in a midfield role. Could wax with Danger up forward.
- Guthrie traded. (Wont happen but a man can dream)
- Nakia getting a consistent string of games, injury-free. Ditto Sav.
- Kelly staying.
- Joel in a different role. His time holding up the midfield is over. Be a supporting midfielder primarily playing out of defense perhaps? Time to let the kids affirm themselves in there.

Could Ablett play a Lewis/Goddard style sweeping defender player? We desperately need another good ball user back there. It's either that or a lot more time up forward. In finals Duncan is a proven bed shitter but through H&A I would also trust him off half back more than say Guthrie. We're screaming out for that kind of player, not just floating off the back of the square at centre bounces, but permanently rebounding off the flank. Someone to help Touhy out in this regard.

We could do with each of the big three playing mostly in a different part of the field (i.e Ablett half back, J Selwood midfield and Dangerfield forward). Give Danger the Menzel role (he actually tackles quite well as a forward as an added bonus).

If we want a more defensive scrapper type in the midfield why not Dahlhaus? Obviously his pressure up forward is required but there's no reason say he and Parfitt couldn't have a 50/50 split on ball.

Duncan on paper looks suited to being an outside player on a wing but in practice his best work has actually been done as an on baller, at the stoppages. We need to shake things up there either way.

Maybe, with rotations in brackets, something like J Selwood (Dangerfield), Dahlhaus (Parfitt), Duncan (Kelly) for the on ball set up.

Forward line if everyone's fit:

Dangerfield-Sav-Narkle
McCarthy-Hawkins-Parfitt

Dangerfield and Parfitt could be interchangeable in that system but at least at half forward he stays out of Hawkins way and we have an extra crumber. Plus Danger can push further up the field and give us a strong metres gained player across half forward.

We need more genuine small forwards (not just midfielders thrown there) so I would back someone like Jones in, Dahlhaus of course rotating with the likes of Parfitt and Narkle on ball.

Edit: forgot Cocky. Once (if) fit it's time to unleash him on the ball too and hope we can be our contested beast who can also break away with pace.

Last edited:
Could Ablett play a Lewis/Goddard style sweeping defender player? We desperately need another good ball user back there. It's either that or a lot more time up forward. In finals Duncan is a proven bed shitter but through H&A I would also trust him off half back more than say Guthrie. We're screaming out for that kind of player, not just floating off the back of the square at centre bounces, but permanently rebounding off the flank. Someone to help Touhy out in this regard.

We could do with each of the big three playing mostly in a different part of the field (i.e Ablett half back, J Selwood midfield and Dangerfield forward). Give Danger the Menzel role (he actually tackles quite well as a forward as an added bonus).

If we want a more defensive scrapper type in the midfield why not Dahlhaus? Obviously his pressure up forward is required but there's no reason say he and Parfitt couldn't have a 50/50 split on ball.

Duncan on paper looks suited to being an outside player on a wing but in practice his best work has actually been done as an on baller, at the stoppages. We need to shake things up there either way.

Maybe, with rotations in brackets, something like J Selwood (Dangerfield), Dahlhaus (Parfitt), Duncan (Kelly) for the on ball set up.

Forward line if everyone's fit:

Dangerfield-Sav-Narkle
McCarthy-Hawkins-Parfitt

Dangerfield and Parfitt could be interchangeable in that system but at least at half forward he stays out of Hawkins way and we have an extra crumber. Plus Danger can push further up the field and give us a strong metres gained player across half forward.

We need more genuine small forwards (not just midfielders thrown there) so I would back someone like Jones in, Dahlhaus of course rotating with the likes of Parfitt and Narkle on ball.
I’d like to see Ablett play predominantly off the wing and some time forward. Selwood off halfback.
Lots of talk of danger mostly forward because he’s kicking is crap but he is our best clearance winner and needs to stay in the middle. We’ve seen how bad we get slaughtered he’s not in there.

FB Henry Blicavs Guthrie
HB Stewart Kolodjashnij Tuohy
C Duncan Kelly Cuncio
FF Dangerfield Ratugolea McCarthy
Fol Stanley Selwood Parfitt
Int Menegola, Small forward(Fogarty), Defender(Bews), Defender(O'Connor)
GAJ surely still best 22?

FB Henry Blicavs Bews
HB Stewart Kolodjashnij Selwood
C Duncan Kelly Tuohy
FF Fogarty Ratugolea Ablett
Fol Stanley Dangerfield Parfitt
Int Menegola, Constable, Jones, O'Connor

FB Henry Blicavs Bews
HB Stewart Kolodjashnij Selwood
C Duncan Kelly Tuohy
FF Fogarty Ratugolea Ablett
Fol Stanley Dangerfield Parfitt
Int Menegola, Constable, Jones, O'Connor
really like the look of that backline. I can see Henry, Bews, and Kolo all going to another level next year and with Selwood back there it adds another dimension.

Your dream is to have a Cats side that includes Gary Rohan? :eek:

Sheesh mate you might like to raise your expectations a tad. :)

B. O'Connor Blicavs Bews
HB Stewart Taylor Tuohy
C Cunico Kelly Duncan
HF Dahlhaus Hawkins Parfitt
F Menzel Dangerfied Cocky
R Stanley Selwood Ablett
McCarthy Ratagolea Henry S.Selwood
Emer Constable Fogarty Narkle
Henderson Kolo Abbott Jones Scott Brownless Pickett zuthrie simpson parsons1st round pick
Trade Table Smith Menegola Thurlow GHS C.Guthrie Buzza Murdoch
Delist Gregson Hayball Gardiner Black Crameri

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back