Ff. Menzel. Esava. Cockatoo
Fol. Stanley. Danger. Kelly
Int. Ablett. Menegola. Narkle. O’Connor

- no taylor or hendo
- no Murdoch or Guthrie (both are rubbish non finals players) Menegola is lucky
- Cunico is first reserve
- still think we need to keep Menzel due to sheer lack of any decent foward
- assumes McCarthy Gregson no longer on the list

The hatred of Guthrie is insane. Every year in finals our midfield gets found out for their kick chasing and lack of defensive game. But the whipping boys are invariably the ones who actually play a team first game like Guthrie who sacrifices his own stats for the good of the team. He was excellent against Melbourne, defensively strong and clean under pressure. He's easily best 22 and rightly so.

Not sure about Bews. He’s not terrible by any means but I dont have him as a lock if we are to truly restructure our list.
WOW.

Now that's a horrible take.

What’s horrible about that?
He doesn't often get beaten by his opponent. Shuts down a quality small forward and is easily our best small defender.
Apart from that you're spot on.

Absolute lock.

The hatred of Guthrie is insane. Every year in finals our midfield gets found out for their kick chasing and lack of defensive game. But the whipping boys are invariably the ones who actually play a team first game like Guthrie who sacrifices his own stats for the good of the team. He was excellent against Melbourne, defensively strong and clean under pressure. He's easily best 22 and rightly so.

O’connor Blicavs J Kolo
j Selwood Henry Stewart
Dahlhaus Danger Duncan
Cockatoo Hawkins Narkle
Menegola Ratugolea Ablett

R- Stanley, Kelly, parfitt

Inter: Constable, Fogarty, Cunico, H Taylor

Emg: Bews, c Guthrie, Z Guthrie, Jones, Murdoch, Abbott, Buzza, Parsons

VFL player-coaches to see out contracts: Henderson, s Selwood

delist: Thurlow, Z Smith (trade), McCarthy, Menzel, GHS, house, Gardner, Crameri, Hayball,

Almost my same 22. I'd have Hendo over Taylor. It's not just this year he's battled. You can't play today if you literally can't pick the ball up off the ground. Hendo with a preseason will be better. Like the idea of Selwood captaining the backs, Gaz captaining the Fwds and putting all the pressure on Dangers ego to be 'the man'. All of a sudden with that structure I could see a role for Jack Steven.

He doesn't often get beaten by his opponent. Shuts down a quality small forward and is easily our best small defender.
Apart from that you're spot on.

Absolute lock.
Ahhh easily best small forward defender. Does his job very well. Sure, does some things you'd want to be done better, but I could say that about every player on our list.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Turns it over too often by foot. Unfortunately as you say our best option in that position at the moment but he’s probably a C-grader. C+ at best.

WOW.

Now that's a horrible take.

My opinion is you over rate Bews. He is one dimensional so needs to be absolutely elite at shutting down his player like a Nick Smith every week. Jed isn't. He's does have wins but he has no competition at the club for his spot.

Last edited:
Defence: Bews, Blicavs, Tuohy, Kolo, Stewart, Henry, Henderson.
Mids: Stanley, Ablett, Dangerfield, Selwood, Kelly, Duncan, Cunico
Forwards: Hawkins, Parfitt, Menegola, Narkle, Fogarty, Ratugolea.
Up for grabs: Guthrie, Menzel, Thurlow, Scooter, Abbott/Smith, Constable.

Repeating this over and over does not make it true. We will finish nowhere near bottom 4 next season.
14th at best

(Log in to remove this ad.)

14th at best
Wanna bet on it? Any higher than 14th and I win.
Make the claim then how about have the stones to stand by it.
Turns it over too often by foot. Unfortunately as you say our best option in that position at the moment but he’s probably a C-grader. C+ at best.
Not unfortunately at all. He's the best because he's worked hard to achieve it.
You're underrating him massively, he's a certainty in the team next season.

I'd go with

FB C Guthrie, Blicavs, O'Connor
HB Stewart, Henry, J Selwood
C Cunico, Duncan, Parfitt
HF Ablett Hawkins Dahlhaus
FF Narkle Sav Miers
R Stanley Danger Kelly (doubt he stays)
I Constable, Tuohy, Fogarty, Menegola

Dont rate Bews, has poor disposal, would switch with Guthrie if he spuds it up. Would play him if there is a genuine lock down role needed but not every week.

I prefer a smaller backline and a more attacking style of play.

Really need someone who can kick(down back) but it's unlikely Thurlow will be here next year, unfortunately we need to develop someone for that spot.

Moving Selwood back to transition more kids into the midfield.

Dont want Menegola in the team but I doubt GHS hangs around.

Ablett plays 3rd tall forward for the year (Dangers spot the year after)

Constable needs to be playing, our midfield is old and cooked desperate for new blood.

Cocky instead of Miers but he'll probably be injured.

Expect us to finish around 12th but ladder position doesn't matter, development does.

B: xxxxx, Blicavs, Tuohy
HB: Stewart, Henry, J.Selwood
C: Kelly, Constable, Cunico
HF: xxxxx , Ratugolea, Parfitt
F: xxxxx , Hawkins, Narkle

Foll: xxxxx , Dangerfield, Duncan

Int: Fogarty, xxxx, xxxxx, xxxxx

That’s it for me. Need to give decent games to our youngsters and bring in more.

This. Maybe Bews stays. Yet to be convinced on Parfitt or Narkle or Fog.

If we filled the XXXXs with a good and resilient ruck and rest with fast,strong bodied, good tacklers, good goal sense (or even 3 out of 4 of these) AND good foot skills (no compromise on this) I would think our best 22 would be GF worthy.

A long way off we are ...

Last edited:
This. Maybe Bews stays. Yet to be convinced on Parfitt or Narkle or Fog.

If we filled the XXXXs with a good and resilient ruck and rest with fast,strong bodied, good tacklers, good goal sense (or even 3 out of 4 of these) AND good foot skills (no compromise on this) I would think our best 22 would be GF worthy.

A long way off we are ...

2016 and 2017 we regularly allowed small forwards to kick bags. Plenty on here wanted that to stop as a priority.

Bews has done that job. He is not the perfect back pocket but his primary job has been done very well.

What’s horrible about that?

Bewsy plays his role. Hard at the ball and the opponent with it. Not flashy and not the most talented player on he list - but you can never question what you will get out of him. Maximum effort and does the team things. Exactly what we need. Much like Stewart and blitz in that regard.

Go Catters

This is laughable. He was terrible. Been a bottom 3 player all year. Never should’ve resigned him.

I hope we don't go for a flag next year. We are in an advantageous position where we have players we know aren't up to it when it matters but still have good trade value.
Trade Menegola, Guthrie, Kolo, Duncan, Henderson,Taylor and go to the draft.
For those of you who must stay competitive at any cost, this team even with Menzel, Murdoch, Thurlow, GHS, Gregson, McCarthy goneskies still aint to bad.

Bews, Blitz, 2E
Stewart, Henry, Oconnor
Danger, Selwood, Ablett
Dollhouse, Savrat, Cocky
Narkle, Hawkins, Miers
F: Stanley, Contstable, Kelly
Int: Fog, Cunico, Parfitt, Scooter.

Bewsy plays his role. Hard at the ball and the opponent with it. Not flashy and not the most talented player on he list - but you can never question what you will get out of him. Maximum effort and does the team things. Exactly what we need. Much like Stewart and blitz in that regard.

Go Catters

I don’t doubt his attitude or intensity. He’s a decent stopper (not brilliant but decent) but it’s his skill level that continues to concern. I know he’ll be there next year and play most of the year if fit. I’m more looking at the future.

What's his form like on small forwards? Surely defensive stats and impact count in your reasoning?

If we just used turnovers as a key measure, Danger would be the last picked.

I know he's got Eddie Betts covered. He's one of the better small forwards going around. He's done well in a lot of other matchups also.

But his kicking is suspect, is that all? Most of the team has suspect kicking.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back