Best 22 Round 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anyone tell us when Round 1 tickets go on sale?.....went on to ticketmaster with no luck....yet you could buy tickets for all of Geelong home games...is it up to the clubs when tickets go on sale?....not the AFL?

Yeah, that’s how I see it round 1 too. I’m not sold on the three talls for the long term though. Unless the talls are causing absolutely havoc for opposition teams, I’d say we bring in the extra small/miss sized fwd, or re jig the mid rotations.

Will be interesting to see how it all pans out. We’ve had Dickson, McLean and Williams all state in the media over the last few weeks that they’re in great shape and are ready for a big seasons. Can’t fit them all in with the numbers we have up fwd and with the plans to play the 3 talls as only leaves 3 spots for others. (I personally don’t see Williams playing up fwd) That’s excluding the resting mid.
Dickson, Lloyd, Dale, McLean, Wallis all fighting for those spots and then the suggestions Greene, Cavarra and Weightman could squeeze in.

I think Bev might reconsider his rotation policy to accommodate certain players in to the side. See how we go I suppose

From his recent club interview, it sounds like Bailey Williams is earmarked for Easton Woods role or at least wants to build his defensive game in a way similar to Wood. Can definitely see Lachie Young and Bailey Williams as the longer term options for Wood and Duryea with both definitely getting their opportunities in those roles this year. Meanwhile I think Cav and Weightman could slot into Lloyd and Dicksons roles. It's honestly easier picking our 2022 team.

Bulldogs best 22 - 2022

Crozier Le Young La Young
Daniel Keath Johanissen
Hunter Macrae Lipinski
English Bont Dunkley
Cavarra Naughton Weightman
Schache Bruce (or JUH) Dale

I/C: McLean, West, Williams, Richards

Does anyone else think that Schache could be an option for the wing? I think the position now calls more for endurance rather than raw speed.
I believe he has a fairly big tank which would allow him to get up and down the field to create options or man up in defense.
It also puts less emphasis on his contested marking which is not one of his strong points.
Also gives us the option of putting him forward if one of our talls goes down or is getting beaten on the day.
It seemed to work pretty well for Matthew Richardson in his latter career.

From his recent club interview, it sounds like Bailey Williams is earmarked for Easton Woods role or at least wants to build his defensive game in a way similar to Wood. Can definitely see Lachie Young and Bailey Williams as the longer term options for Wood and Duryea with both definitely getting their opportunities in those roles this year. Meanwhile I think Cav and Weightman could slot into Lloyd and Dicksons roles. It's honestly easier picking our 2022 team.

Bulldogs best 22 - 2022

Crozier Le Young La Young
Daniel Keath Johanissen
Hunter Macrae Lipinski
English Bont Dunkley
Cavarra Naughton Weightman
Schache Bruce (or JUH) Dale

I/C: McLean, West, Williams, Richards

Needs more Bailey Smith.

Not sure if Astronaught is available for Friday night but I for one would like to see all 3 forward three talls play in a least two pre-season games together to gauge if it is going to work prior to round 1.

So modern footy is purely based on what we want to do and has zero to do with how the opposition structures up and moves the pieces?!

In a perfect world where the other team allows Caleb to drop as the spare and doesn’t man him up he can be effective but he stills turns it over air die to the 1+ in front of him when he is playing as the extra man.

the better coached teams wouldn’t allow him to drop off so he was always accountable and eventually in our fluid back six he will end up in a marking. contest he can never win. And if they did let him drop they created a wall across the 50 knowing he couldn’t get over it.

That is exactly how Carlton and the Suns beat us and teams would have studied that for when they play us.

Some good points made here.
Both teams go into games with their own structures and plans, and if they aren't working there needs to be plan B, plan C etc.

Teams target presumed weaknesses and Daniel may well be a presumed weakness.

However I'm backing Bevo to come up with game plans and structures to challenge our opponents.
To say Carlton and Suns beat us coz they are better coached teams is a stretch I reckon.
We had some poor games during the first half of the season, but got our stuff together.
Daniel will be a key player this year.

KM

Some good points made here.
Both teams go into games with their own structures and plans, and if they aren't working there needs to be plan B, plan C etc.

Teams target presumed weaknesses and Daniel may well be a presumed weakness.

However I'm backing Bevo to come up with game plans and structures to challenge our opponents.
To say Carlton and Suns beat us coz they are better coached teams is a stretch I reckon.
We had some poor games during the first half of the season, but got our stuff together.
Daniel will be a key player this year.

KM

I do believe that on those two occasions Bev was outcoached in the day as well as the whole team having a poor outing.

I dont think Daniel concerns other teams when he had the footy because he rarely breaks lines or gets over the zone with his kicking and he is prone to errors. If he does hit targets they are general very short or sideways so not doing any damage at all.

when he is back they clearly try to isolate him by moving back and forward until he got caught out as the furthest man back(Carlton did this very well). But I don’t think other teams waste any extra time on planning how to stop Caleb Or worrying he will tear them apart.

For the life of me I can’t work out why we wouldn’t play him further up the ground using those skills to hit goal kicking targets instead of constantly having other players having to worry about his match up While doing their own job.

I genuinely think if he is in he back 6 we will not be a contender

I do believe that on those two occasions Bev was outcoached in the day as well as the whole team having a poor outing.

I dont think Daniel concerns other teams when he had the footy because he rarely breaks lines or gets over the zone with his kicking and he is prone to errors. If he does hit targets they are general very short or sideways so not doing any damage at all.

when he is back they clearly try to isolate him by moving back and forward until he got caught out as the furthest man back(Carlton did this very well). But I don’t think other teams waste any extra time on planning how to stop Caleb Or worrying he will tear them apart.

For the life of me I can’t work out why we wouldn’t play him further up the ground using those skills to hit goal kicking targets instead of constantly having other players having to worry about his match up While doing their own job.

Daniel will be picked on the HBF round 1 all day long. The amount of flak he gets is ridiculous he is a very good footballer. Bevo said he was AA before his injury so pencil him in rd 1

Daniel will be picked on the HBF round 1 all day long. The amount of flak he gets is ridiculous he is a very good footballer. Bevo said he was AA before his injury so pencil him in rd 1

I’ve never said he isn’t a good footballer, just think we are a better team with him out of the back 6 and the evidence in the last half of last year shows this.

I’ve never said he isn’t a good footballer, just think we are a better team with him out of the back 6 and the evidence in the last half of last year shows this.
Think that had more to do with things like putting Dunks into the guts again and Timmy, Lippa, Baz improving dramatically than Caleb being out of the back 6

Think that had more to do with things like putting Dunks into the guts again and Timmy, Lippa, Baz improving dramatically than Caleb being out of the back 6

Obviously Caleb out wasn’t the only issue but for mine he isn’t better than Crozier(aerial), Duryea(lock down), JJ(speed). He is a back man that needs another back man to constantly cover for his lack of height.

we should be playing him in the role his brother plays at the plastics and not be stubborn because he hits 20 dinky kick targets a game.

All great factors that can’t be ignore.
We also executed so much better in the second half of the season. We saw these things in the first couple of rounds but the players dropped their bundle for too long a period from those early games.

I’m expecting us to be better drilled from Rd1 this season and we won’t see the as poor performances like the ones we saw at times last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All great factors that can’t be ignore.
We also executed so much better in the second half of the season. We saw these things in the first couple of rounds but the players dropped their bundle for too long a period from those early games.

I’m expecting us to be better drilled from Rd1 this season and we won’t see the as poor performances like the ones we saw at times last year.
Also our goal kicking conversion improved. Couldnt believe how many easy chances we squandered early in the season which killed our momentum. No coincidence that putting Dale and Schache in (our two best kicks at goal) and dropping a few shankers saw our conversion improve and allowed us to get a run on in games and put teams to the sword

Obviously Caleb out wasn’t the only issue but for mine he isn’t better than Crozier(aerial), Duryea(lock down), JJ(speed). He is a back man that needs another back man to constantly cover for his lack of height.

we should be playing him in the role his brother plays at the plastics and not be stubborn because he hits 20 dinky kick targets a game.
Good points and I really like Doc playing on a HBF for us he was excellent last season. The depth we have is very impressive and it is a much better feeling going into this season than last year

Also our goal kicking conversion improved. Couldnt believe how many easy chances we squandered early in the season which killed our momentum. No coincidence that putting Dale and Schache in (our two best kicks at goal) and dropping a few shankers saw our conversion improve and allowed us to get a run on in games and put teams to the sword

True, we forget how bad our goal kicking was for large parts of the season. We ended up having more shots on goal than any other side by seasons end. Can only think we’d have won more games had our conversion rate been better.

My attempt.

FB: Crozier - Keath - Wood
HB: Suckling - Cordy - Johannisen
C: Hunter - Bontempelli - Lipinski
HF: Smith - Naughton - Schache
FF: Lloyd - Bruce - Dale
Foll: English, Macrae, Dunkley
Int: Daniel, Wallis, McLean, Richards

Unlucky: Dickson, Trengove, Weightman, Williams, Young, Young, West, Cavarra

The Roos are going in Friday night without 10-12 of there best players due to injury. Will be interesting to see how strong our side is going to be. I think we will put a near full strength side in so the new players/structure can gel!

The Roos are going in Friday night without 10-12 of there best players due to injury. Will be interesting to see how strong our side is going to be. I think we will put a near full strength side in so the new players/structure can gel!
In the past, we've had a tendency to field players not necessarily in the frame for senior selection. Leads me to believe we may see most of Lewis Young, Rhylee West, Louis Butler, Callum Porter and Jordon Sweet feature in at least one of the games. I'd expect the second game to be more indicative of our Round 1 team

I think Bevo likes rotating players through different positions, so I can see Daniel playing across half back at times.

But like you say he is an effective forward with the ability to hit leading targets as well as kicking goals himself.

We have plenty of half backs to choose from, so if Daniel is in a mismatch, rotate him forward.

I like the selection of him on the bench because he can come on and play a variety of roles.

Think he is best 22.

KM

I think Bevo likes rotating players through different positions, so I can see Daniel playing across half back at times.

But like you say he is an effective forward with the ability to hit leading targets as well as kicking goals himself.

We have plenty of half backs to choose from, so if Daniel is in a mismatch, rotate him forward.

I like the selection of him on the bench because he can come on and play a variety of roles.

Think he is best 22.

KM
I saw an article earlier today around Suckling, specifically that Bevo planned to move him all around the ground. Specifically, it was mentioned that JJ and CD would be occupying the back flanks, which was one of the main reasons that Suckling would be moved around instead of permanently occupying a back flank. So I think it's safe to assume CD's primary role is in defence

I saw an article earlier today around Suckling, specifically that Bevo planned to move him all around the ground. Specifically, it was mentioned that JJ and CD would be occupying the back flanks, which was one of the main reasons that Suckling would be moved around instead of permanently occupying a back flank. So I think it's safe to assume CD's primary role is in defence
This should come as no surprise to anyone but I expect to read a few howls of outrage nonetheless.

Both JJ and Daniel have played their best and most valuable football for us in defence. It's often been suggested that one or the other could provide more value further up-field. That view overlooks the fact that they are able to get more of the ball because they are not normally as tightly marked when they play in defence. Then they use their pace and/or agility and vision to cut up the opposition side and provide drive into attack.

Look at what happened when JJ was closely marked and niggled for a while in defence. He became mostly ineffective. The same is probably true of Daniel but on balance most sides choose not to spend too much energy on it because it costs them in other areas (and possibly because we develop counter strategies to deal with it). That's what could well happen to their game if they are regularly played further forward. It's OK as an occasional surprise tactic but not as a fixed role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best 22 Round 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Back