Best and Worst players - Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Tadhg Kennelly had a strong game.

For the most part though it wasnt individual performances which were the problem but more of the team not playing like we are used too seeing. Though they did improve 1000% in the 2nd half. Im actually suprised the commentators didnt mention the fact that West Coast only scored 12 points in the 2nd half.

Easily Everitt was the worst - However I can sorta expect that with a new team and different sorta pressure - should get better as the year goes on no doubt.
You shouldnt expect any less from a champ.
Based on expectation of course

I thought that O'keefe was BOG for the swans regardless of what the stats say, Kirk and eski were bloody awesome too.

Goodes - you are a dual brownlow medallist you should be able to break the tag of Brent Staker or Stop Judd from polling brownlow votes. One or the other at least pick one.

but I agree that Spida was a bit of a spud tonight.

philips wasn't given a genuine chance and Bolton was played forward for a fair bit of the game.

• Banned
Don't know how many minutes he played but Auskick went missing tonight.

And wtf was wrong with our kicking? The turnovers and missed shots were nauseating.

We just couldn't play with any fluency. When we took it forward our forward line was packed, when they took it forward Lynch had the whole 50m arc to himself.

Don't know how many minutes he played but Auskick went missing tonight.

And wtf was wrong with our kicking? The turnovers and missed shots were nauseating.

We just couldn't play with any fluency. When we took it forward our forward line was packed, when they took it forward Lynch had the whole 50m arc to himself.

Auskick played quite a bit. I had my eye on him most of the match. He just wasn't going for the ball. It was very frustrating. In the last quarter i was sitting down the end we were kicking and god, i haven't sworn that much for a very long time. Auskick was annoying the hell outta me.

They had the better of the flooding war, hence their deserted forward line and our packed forward line.
For the final quarter...
Unfortunately for the first 2 and a half, you guys seemed intent on bombing it in the foward line, which rarely works with the flood going on. Then you guys started handballin and enetering smartly, which is obviously what turned it around. Again, great game. Not a classic with ordinary skills on both sides but a great game none the less.

Kennelly was your BOG for mine. He brought you back into the game in the last half. Kirk and O Keefe were good too. Everitt was woeful. Everything he did tonight was poor really.

Many inspiring players i nthe second half for the Swans, Kirky (as always) and Kenelly. Hall seemed intent on proving himself all game, gave a bit of life in the first half to the Swans. Not a great game but intensely passionate and deserves respect

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best - C.Bolton, Kirk, Kennelly, Malceski
Worst - Jolly, J.Bolton, Davis (admittedly no game time), Goodes (by his high standards)
I thought everitt had a stinker of a first half but was instrumental in the comeback later.

Here's my player by player assessment.

1. Barry Hall - Double and triple teamed all night, and it didn't help that the delivery into the forward line was awful. When he got involved in the action he looked pretty impressive, but let frustration get the better of him a couple of times, slinging players in tackles and giving away a couple of silly free kicks.

2. Nick Davis - When he kicked his first goal I thought he might turn out to be an important factor in the game. Then I didn't sight him again till he kicked his arsey goal in the third quarter. Like Hall, the delivery forward didn't help him at all, but it's frustrating that such a classy finisher goes missing for such long periods.

3. Jarrad McVeigh - Outclassed by Judd in the first half, but then when given free reign in the second half he set up a number of good attacking moves. I'd like to see him used in an attacking role more, he's wasted as a tagger.

4. Ben Mathews - A nothing game from Ben. That is to say he did nothing particularly bad, but nothing particularly good either. He needs to start having an influence in games or he'll be bypassed by the youngsters coming through.

5. Ryan O'Keefe - Started quietly, but became one of the most influential in the second half. It was mostly through his hard work that we got back in the game.

6. Craig Bolton - The ball spent enough time back there that he was bound to get involved often. Provided some good rebound and generally among our best tonight.

9. Nick Malceski - Mostly good, but had a number of quiet patches. Needs to play 4 quarters more often because he certainly has the skills.

10. Peter Everitt - Looked seriously underdone and struggled with the pace. Hopefully can improve his fitness as the season progresses

12. Nic Fosdike - Up and down. When he was switched on he looked great. And then 5 minutes later he'd do something silly. But wasn't too bad.

16. Darren Jolly - Early on it looked as if he was still at home with his wife on Grand Final day, but gradually found his way into the game. Needs to exert more influence around the ground.

17. Tadhg Kennelly - Out of sorts early, bombing it in to nobody in particular in the forward line, but started to hit his targets after half time. Not his best game though.

19. Michael O'Loughlin - Looked sharp early, but seemed to tire as the game went on. The bump on Waters probably took a bit out of him. He'll be better as the year goes on.

20. Luke Ablett - Goes in hard and doesn't shirk the contest, but still prone to silly skill errors at stages. Needs to work on what to do with the ball once he's got it.

21. Leo Barry - Undersized against Lynch, but probably held his own in the end. Stil exasperates with his trying to duck and weave around 6 players at once.

24. Jude Bolton - What's the story here? Was buried in the forward line all night and didn't get a real run in the middle at all. Hardly sighted all night.

25. Ted Richards - Probably the only 4 quarter performer. Teddy will never be a matchwinner, but what he does he does well enough. Mopped up well in defence and presented well as a target. Still prone to the occasional stuff up.

26. Sean Dempster - Generally pretty unobtrusive, I assume he had a negating role and did it well enough, but apart from his ripping goal late in the game I hardly saw him.

31. Brett Kirk - Up there with O'Keefe as one of the players who turned the match around. He was in everything and just never stops trying. Which is exactly what a captain should be doing.

32. Amon Buchanan - generally pretty lively and provided a lot of the run and carry we needed, apart from a brief period in the 2nd, where he was in the rooms getting a cut mouth stitched up.

37. Adam Goodes - Tried too hard to negate Judd and in doing so robbed the team of the creative flair that he's capable of. Struggles when having to be accountable for an opponent, needs to be let loose to do his own thing to have any serious impact on a game.

38. Luke Vogels - A great mark and goal, but that was about his entire night really. Didn't see much of him otherwise. Needs to start having a little more influence if he wants to force his way into the team.

47. Simon Phillips - Like Vogels, apart from his goal he was hardly sighted. Hangs off the packs a bit too much, needs to get his hands a little dirtier. He will have to get more involved in the play if he wants a permanent spot.

I don't know what happened to Davis but he played like 2 minutes in the second quarter and not much in the last quarter either. What annoyed me most was in the last 10 of so minutes he was on the bench.

I don't know what happened to Davis but he played like 2 minutes in the second quarter and not much in the last quarter either. What annoyed me most was in the last 10 of so minutes he was on the bench.
He went off and to the room with one of the trainers for a long time in the 2nd quarter and was only used in very short bursts after that. Each time he came off he had a couple of trainers straight over to him to see how he was. Not sure what happened to him.

Benevolent Ert said:
47. Simon Phillips - Like Vogels, apart from his goal he was hardly sighted. Hangs off the packs a bit too much, needs to get his hands a little dirtier. He will have to get more involved in the play if he wants a permanent spot.

I noticed that too. The ball was on the ground in the forward 50, a lot of scrapping going on because of the crowding - And he just sat back and watched.

If he gets in there then he is bound to cop one high because of his height which means a free-kick and shot on goal.

Here's my player by player assessment.

1. Barry Hall - Double and triple teamed all night, and it didn't help that the delivery into the forward line was awful. When he got involved in the action he looked pretty impressive, but let frustration get the better of him a couple of times, slinging players in tackles and giving away a couple of silly free kicks.

2. Nick Davis - When he kicked his first goal I thought he might turn out to be an important factor in the game. Then I didn't sight him again till he kicked his arsey goal in the third quarter. Like Hall, the delivery forward didn't help him at all, but it's frustrating that such a classy finisher goes missing for such long periods.

3. Jarrad McVeigh - Outclassed by Judd in the first half, but then when given free reign in the second half he set up a number of good attacking moves. I'd like to see him used in an attacking role more, he's wasted as a tagger.

4. Ben Mathews - A nothing game from Ben. That is to say he did nothing particularly bad, but nothing particularly good either. He needs to start having an influence in games or he'll be bypassed by the youngsters coming through.

5. Ryan O'Keefe - Started quietly, but became one of the most influential in the second half. It was mostly through his hard work that we got back in the game.

6. Craig Bolton - The ball spent enough time back there that he was bound to get involved often. Provided some good rebound and generally among our best tonight.

9. Nick Malceski - Mostly good, but had a number of quiet patches. Needs to play 4 quarters more often because he certainly has the skills.

10. Peter Everitt - Looked seriously underdone and struggled with the pace. Hopefully can improve his fitness as the season progresses

12. Nic Fosdike - Up and down. When he was switched on he looked great. And then 5 minutes later he'd do something silly. But wasn't too bad.

16. Darren Jolly - Early on it looked as if he was still at home with his wife on Grand Final day, but gradually found his way into the game. Needs to exert more influence around the ground.

17. Tadhg Kennelly - Out of sorts early, bombing it in to nobody in particular in the forward line, but started to hit his targets after half time. Not his best game though.

19. Michael O'Loughlin - Looked sharp early, but seemed to tire as the game went on. The bump on Waters probably took a bit out of him. He'll be better as the year goes on.

20. Luke Ablett - Goes in hard and doesn't shirk the contest, but still prone to silly skill errors at stages. Needs to work on what to do with the ball once he's got it.

21. Leo Barry - Undersized against Lynch, but probably held his own in the end. Stil exasperates with his trying to duck and weave around 6 players at once.

24. Jude Bolton - What's the story here? Was buried in the forward line all night and didn't get a real run in the middle at all. Hardly sighted all night.

25. Ted Richards - Probably the only 4 quarter performer. Teddy will never be a matchwinner, but what he does he does well enough. Mopped up well in defence and presented well as a target. Still prone to the occasional stuff up.

26. Sean Dempster - Generally pretty unobtrusive, I assume he had a negating role and did it well enough, but apart from his ripping goal late in the game I hardly saw him.

31. Brett Kirk - Up there with O'Keefe as one of the players who turned the match around. He was in everything and just never stops trying. Which is exactly what a captain should be doing.

32. Amon Buchanan - generally pretty lively and provided a lot of the run and carry we needed, apart from a brief period in the 2nd, where he was in the rooms getting a cut mouth stitched up.

37. Adam Goodes - Tried too hard to negate Judd and in doing so robbed the team of the creative flair that he's capable of. Struggles when having to be accountable for an opponent, needs to be let loose to do his own thing to have any serious impact on a game.

38. Luke Vogels - A great mark and goal, but that was about his entire night really. Didn't see much of him otherwise. Needs to start having a little more influence if he wants to force his way into the team.

Pretty good assessment all round. :thumbsu:

On Dempster, Looking at the game again he was actually pretty solid around the ground. Did his job.

Phillips was an interesting one. The way we played it was always going to be hard for him. Although we did bomb it in to the talls, we missed them by 10m+ so many times that there wasn't much ball spilled for him to rove. That clutch goal at the end with 60k people desperate for him not to screw up showed some poise, though. :thumbsu:

I was pretty much dying when i realised he had got the free. McVeigh and him were kinda walking off together and i when McVeigh walked off and it was only Auskick i could have vomitted.

The kick sort of curled in, too. I was terrified for a sec it was going to hit the post!

Ert is right. There are certain elements to work on with his game. But going "missing" against WC is pretty easy. Thought Flipper did some good things in the last qtr. He was involved in that Spida goal as well. Roos will persist with him, for sure.

The kick sort of curled in, too. I was terrified for a sec it was going to hit the post!

Ert is right. There are certain elements to work on with his game. But going "missing" against WC is pretty easy. Thought Flipper did some good things in the last qtr. He was involved in that Spida goal as well. Roos will persist with him, for sure.

Yeah, i thought he was going to screw that aswell but he did well enough to get it to Spida who had enough time to get it on the boot.

I thought Ted Richards put in a really good effort last night. Spida will improve, he is obviously lacking in the fitness department at the moment. Give him a few weeks and he will start to fire - dont write him off after last night's performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best and Worst players - Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back