Best Captain in the last 10 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct me if I'm wrong, but she didn't actually play for the Kangaroos did she??

He was the captain of the side and screwed the vice captain's (and supposedly his best mate's) wife ffs!!! Should the captain not be the player that all the other players look up to, that best represents what the club wants and needs from it's players in all ways??

That is the role of a captain in my mind. On-field, off-field, discipline, lifestyle, everything. As a Carlton supporter, can you imagine if that happened with Kernahan and Jo Bailey???

Let's decipher the facts. Wayne and Mrs. Stevens had a shag.
Who initiated it? We don't know.
If Carey initiated it, did she consent? Yes, otherwise he'd be up for rape/attempted rape.
I acknowledge that he is a tool of the highest order, but you can't be certain that he's all to blame for that fling.

ive got hirds atougraph and he invited all the sports doctors and associates who helped him through his carrer out to a free lunch at his restuarant. tru champion. I think like the brownlow vossy and hird tie for the best captain. U cant put carey in that field because of what he did. A captains duties are not only on the field but off the field aswell eg. ben cousins losing his captaincy over his drug habits. A captain who sleeps with a team mates wife is not a good captain. So my top 3 Hird and Voss tie for 1st, Riccuito second and Buckley 3rd

That is one of the most amazingly inaccurate interpretations of an event I've ever seen.

You define one-eyed mate. All credit to you for your loyalty to the club and it's somewhat disgraced former champion.

Only an outsider would say it ruined the club. How has North gone post Carey? How about 3 finals appearances in 6 years. No wooden spoon which we seem to get picked for every year. No loses to the Bombers.

Are Essendon supporters that jealous or is it sour grapes because Carey tore Essendon more assholes than a gay man at Mardi Gras.

ive got hirds atougraph and he invited all the sports doctors and associates who helped him through his carrer out to a free lunch at his restuarant. tru champion. I think like the brownlow vossy and hird tie for the best captain. U cant put carey in that field because of what he did. A captains duties are not only on the field but off the field aswell eg. ben cousins losing his captaincy over his drug habits. A captain who sleeps with a team mates wife is not a good captain. So my top 3 Hird and Voss tie for 1st, Riccuito second and Buckley 3rd

Honestly how does Carey sleeping with Stevo's wife make him a bad captain? His team mates at the time were old/mature enough have their own idea of what they think is right or wrong. They don't need a captain to be a role-model person, just a role-model footballer and inspirational leader, and Carey was just that.

Let's decipher the facts. Wayne and Mrs. Stevens had a shag.
Who initiated it? We don't know.
If Carey initiated it, did she consent? Yes, otherwise he'd be up for rape/attempted rape.
I acknowledge that he is a tool of the highest order, but you can't be certain that he's all to blame for that fling.
I don't care if she's equally or more to blame for the fling, no Kangaroos player had to look up to her, and nothing she did had any effect on the players (apart from Stevens) or the club, she was irrelevent.

Carey was the one with a responsibility to the club and the players, he was captain, he had to put the club first and demonstrate that always. He didn't act as a captain should.

It makes no difference who initiated, if a law was broken, nor if it was immoral, all I'm concerned with is his impact on the club as it's captain.

Only an outsider would say it ruined the club. How has North gone post Carey? How about 3 finals appearances in 6 years. No wooden spoon which we seem to get picked for every year. No loses to the Bombers.

Are Essendon supporters that jealous or is it sour grapes because Carey tore Essendon more assholes than a gay man at Mardi Gras.
You just keep dreaming about the gay men at mardi gras, winky.

No one said he ruined the club. He disrespected his teammates, almost ruined the life of his vice captain (and 2 best mates) with his actions, and I would say did more damage to the club than anyone in it's history. If that's what you want from a captain, congratulations, you had your man.

I don't care if she's equally or more to blame for the fling, no Kangaroos player had to look up to her, and nothing she did had any effect on the players (apart from Stevens) or the club, she was irrelevent.

Carey was the one with a responsibility to the club and the players, he was captain, he had to put the club first and demonstrate that always. He didn't act as a captain should.

It makes no difference who initiated, if a law was broken, nor if it was immoral, all I'm concerned with is his impact on the club as it's captain.

Honestly mate if you were in a football team and your captain screwed the vice-captain's wife would you think that was a good idea and go around doing it? Carey's teammates were professional footballers and full-grown adults that have their own opinions on things. If you seriously think that these guys need a captain to tell them what is right and wrong then you are crazy. Yes he had an impact on the club whilst he was a captain but that didn't effect his actual reputation as a captain, only his reputation as an individual. Once again I'd like to repeat that his teammates were not 10 year olds that needed their hand held and told what to do in life, just told what to do on the football field/training etc and be shown the way by a leader.

Honestly mate if you were in a football team and your captain screwed the vice-captain's wife would you think that was a good idea and go around doing it? Carey's teammates were professional footballers and full-grown adults that have their own opinions on things. If you seriously think that these guys need a captain to tell them what is right and wrong then you are crazy. Yes he had an impact on the club whilst he was a captain but that didn't effect his actual reputation as a captain, only his reputation as an individual. Once again I'd like to repeat that his teammates were not 10 year olds that needed their hand held and told what to do in life, just told what to do on the football field/training etc and be shown the way by a leader.
No, but that's not the impact.
  • Players had to choose to support their vice captain and other members of the leadership group or their captain.
  • The leadership group had to vote on whether they wanted to keep him at the club.
  • They voted to sack their own captain from the club because of his actions. His own teammates could not tolerate him being at the club!
Is that the list of achievements you want the captain of your club driving?? Let alone the best captain of the last 10 years.

As I said before, for mine the captain must set the standard for the club - On-field, off-field, discipline, lifestyle, everything. A captain must promote the team and team harmony above everything else. Carey certainly didn't. As great a player as he was, as great an on-field leader/inspiration, as great as he lead them on the track, his mistake was too big.

a thug who looked to iron out players off the bounce when they weren't looking. Played 10 games in past 3 seasons yet got his $400K a year.

Hardly the stuff of an inspring captain.

Rubbish, good player, liked to intimidate and was good to watch. How many times was he suspended? since you seem to know your stuff so well.

And do you think he shouldn't have got paid because he was injured? We'd have a lot less players choose football as a career if that was the case and we would see a whole heap more early retirements.

Well if we are gana put carey up there might aswell put cousins cos he won a brownlow didnt he and a rising star lol. Careys actions off the field do affect his job as a good captain. A captain is a leader of a group, gives them direction and has to have the respect of the playing group. DO you think carey had the respect after what he did? Same goes with cousins. Carey was a great player and was a good leader of the club for most of his captaincy but do what he did is why he cant be the best in the past 10 years. Voss lead his team to 3 consecutive premierships, he helped lead a very succseful merger in the end Brisbane Bears to Lions and came back from some pretty bad injuries aswell. Hird inspired his team by standing up when it mattered, talking very well and club functions, being a personal captain and most of inspiring his team mates to succeed as he did from coming back from all his injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, but that's not the impact.
  • Players had to choose to support their vice captain and other members of the leadership group or their captain.
  • The leadership group had to vote on whether they wanted to keep him at the club.
  • They voted to sack their own captain from the club because of his actions. His own teammates could not tolerate him being at the club!
Is that the list of achievements you want the captain of your club driving?? Let alone the best captain of the last 10 years.

As I said before, for mine the captain must set the standard for the club - On-field, off-field, discipline, lifestyle, everything. A captain must promote the team and team harmony above everything else. Carey certainly didn't. As great a player as he was, as great an on-field leader/inspiration, as great as he lead them on the track, his mistake was too big.

Yes there was a massive impact on the playing group but there was no leadership group vote haha, a couple of the players just said they were not playing until he left, so he did.

If your opinion is that the Captain must look good in the public eye, then okay. Personally I believe that looking good in the public eye does not effect the impact he had on the playing group whilst captaining them. I find it strange that you actually need to know about a skipper's personal life before you make a judgment on their standing as a captain.

Kelly - This bloke was absolutely top class as a leader, nothing scared him, put his body on the line, and was simply a classy player and leader

Hird - Lifts the team so much with his presence.

Buckley - Does the thing that lift's the team, always hard at the ball.

Riccuito - Crows seem to be about three foot taller with him on he ground.

Anyone who captained that Brisbane side people would have said was the best captain in the last 10 years. Voss was a great captain but anyone could have captained a powerhouse like Brisbane of the early 00's. If Darryl White had have been the premiership captain people would have said the same thing about him they say about Voss

if you weren't a collingwood supporter, i would have absolutely hammered you for saying something so stupid.:rolleyes:

Hird doesn't like signing autographs and is arrogant so that counts him out. ;)

Hird is the furthest thing from arrogant,

i have brothers who go for Essendon, a few years ago, i went to a training session with my carlton jumper on, he gave me autograph, a picture and a shake. Although he was an Essendon Player, i still lokked up to him, and he's the best player i've ever seen play, that doesn't really mean he's a good captain, but during the training session, he acts like a coach, he speaks to the team about improving during drills and stretches and practise matches, from a mad carlton supporter, he's a star and legend of the game, definately the best captain of past 10 years.

Yes there was a massive impact on the playing group but there was no leadership group vote haha, a couple of the players just said they were not playing until he left, so he did.

If your opinion is that the Captain must look good in the public eye, then okay. Personally I believe that looking good in the public eye does not effect the impact he had on the playing group whilst captaining them. I find it strange that you actually need to know about a skipper's personal life before you make a judgment on their standing as a captain.
Oh yeah, you really got me there... I don't care if he looks good in the public eye, I care that the best players at the Roos said "he's out or we're out" - club champions like Stevens, Archer and Simpson! (and if you think they didn't make up a leadership group, formally or informally...)

Does that symbolise the shinboner spirit - a captain that the best and most senior players want not only no longer as captain but out of the club?? Captains get demoted for breaking curfews, how does this compare?

Hird is the furthest thing from arrogant,

i have brothers who go for Essendon, a few years ago, i went to a training session with my carlton jumper on, he gave me autograph, a picture and a shake. Although he was an Essendon Player, i still lokked up to him, and he's the best player i've ever seen play, that doesn't really mean he's a good captain, but during the training session, he acts like a coach, he speaks to the team about improving during drills and stretches and practise matches, from a mad carlton supporter, he's a star and legend of the game, definately the best captain of past 10 years.
Have to agree with this, Hird and Kelly appear way more apporachable then their kin, Bucks, Roo and Voss, and that was one of the reasons I rate these two ahead of all others. Great media people, especially Hird.

perhaps if the bombers hadnt "underacheived" in 1999 and 2001 then Hird would be the greatest - he was a better player then voss IMO but Vossy pips him on paper

For all who wrote Carey "ARE YOU KIDDING!!". Have you ever played football. Have you ever had a team mate. Have you ever played you GUTS out for those same teammates.

Does what he done at the end of his career take away form what he achieved as a captain. Maybe not, maybe. But it automatically puts him out of contention for "Best Captain in the last 10 years".

Carey, then Hird.

Both put their body on the line for their team numerous times, and stood up when it counted. Add to that great leadership skills.

Oh yeah, you really got me there... I don't care if he looks good in the public eye, I care that the best players at the Roos said "he's out or we're out" - club champions like Stevens, Archer and Simpson! (and if you think they didn't make up a leadership group, formally or informally...)

Does that symbolise the shinboner spirit - a captain that the best and most senior players want not only no longer as captain but out of the club?? Captains get demoted for breaking curfews, how does this compare?

Calm down mate, it was just funny that you made it seem as though you thought there was some formal vote or something.

There were players at the time that wanted to Carey to stay if you knew more about it. If you don't think that he needs to be a role model in the public eye then why does he need to be some amazing individual to make him a good captain? Being a good person and being a good captain are completely separate unless doing something wrong as a person rubs off on to the other team mates, which it didn't. I've told you time and time again that these players are fully grown adults that aren't going to go around having affairs with other people's wives because their captain did it. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I can't make it any simpler for you. If you don't think he needs to look good in the public eye to have a good standing as a captain then it must be to do with the players, but the only impact it has had on a couple players (Arch and Stevo) is that they were angry for a while and now just don't want to be friends with Carey. How does that have anything to do with his captaincy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Captain in the last 10 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back