Best centre square starting four?

Remove this Banner Ad

free at last

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
south of lat 32
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm interested to know which team has the best centre square starting four?

Right at this moment, I reckon Carlton are the best with kreuser,Judd,Murphy and Gibbs.Next I'd have Geelong,Collingwood,west coast,freo and hawthorn.

Carlton need to prove that they are over a period of time and not be rated on potential, so right now you would have to say Collingwood are on top with Geelong just behind. having said that i hope and personally believe that Carlton can take that step this year and cement itself as the best starting four.

Not the absolute best, but Mumford, Jack, Kennedy, Goodes would have to be up there.
Midfield depth is where we fall down compared to the other top teams but you have to admit that starting 4 is hawt.

Kennedy clearance machine. Goodes a freak. Jack can runs both ways. Mumford one of the better ruckman in the league. Good balance.

Not the absolute best, but Mumford, Jack, Kennedy, Goodes would have to be up there.

Not a bad combo. Kennedy is a beast.

The pies take this mantle right now.

The Hawks go alright in the middle. But really need Max Bailey feeding them. Rate his ruck abilities but just has terrible luck.

Not saying we're the best or anything but you do know when the pressure goes on during a game to expect Jolly, Pendles, Swan & Ball. Usually good things happen! With Carlton I reckon their first choice set up with Kruez/Judd/Murph & someone like Carazzo, Robinson or maybe Simpson. Hardly an expert on their setup though so will keep an eye out on Friday night!

It's West Coast and I'll tell you why.

Naitanui, Kerr, Shuey, Priddis.

You've got a bloke with the best leap in the game and this annoyingly good habit of deftly running the ball off his hands into either the space Kerr or Shuey are running two.

If that doesn't pan out Priddis is there to win the contested ball and lock down on opposition mids who may win the knock.

Then Naitanui lands and is pretty handy at winning his own ball or stopping a clean clearance.

Outside that they've got Cox to give the big cat a rest and Selwood to play the Priddis role.

I feel that we have the best 4, Pendles, Swan, Ball and Jolly just to good (no offence to the other teams). West coast, Carlton, Sydney, Geelong and Hawthorn all excel but have a weakness that lets them down, usually is the third midfielder or they dont have a solid ruckman, but their still solid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood for mine Pendles, Swan, Ball and then Jolly thats a good combo.

Ours is also nothing to sneeze at with Nick Nat/Cox, Shuey, Keer and Priddis.

Jolly + Pendlebury + Swan + Ball

or

Kreuzer + Judd + Murphy + Simpson/Robinson/Scotland

Gibbs?? He's proven to his team that he's not a ball winner.. down to half back you go.

Ridiculous comment.

He kills it in the midfield. Absolutely a ball winner in every sense of the word. But his skills are more useful to the team elsewhere. He came 5th in the Brownlow playing midfield in 2009 as a 21 year old. He will gain more midfield time this season with Jamison and Duigan back and will once again show what a class mid he is.

Jolly + Pendlebury + Swan + Ball

or

Kreuzer + Judd + Murphy + Simpson/Robinson/Scotland

Ridiculous comment.

He kills it in the midfield. Absolutely a ball winner in every sense of the word. But his skills are more useful to the team elsewhere. He came 5th in the Brownlow playing midfield in 2009 as a 21 year old. He will gain more midfield time this season with Jamison and Duigan back and will once again show what a class mid he is.

Gibbs isn't a ball winner, he's a ball receiver. In a pack situation, it's not likely he'll be the won that wins it out to his team-mates, it's simply not his go. his lack of clearances and uncontested possession rate being nearly two-thirds of his touches show that.

He was top 30 in the league for average disposals last year - and was barely top 100 in the league for contested possessions.

To give you an example - he had something like 25% less contested possessions than Nic naitanui.

Guys like Angus Monfries and Matthew Stokes averaged more contested possessions.

That doesn't mean he isn't a useful player, his kicking skills off half back is considerable - but he's just not a ball-winner

Gibbs isn't a ball winner, he's a ball receiver. In a pack situation, it's not likely he'll be the won that wins it out to his team-mates, it's simply not his go. his lack of clearances and uncontested possession rate being nearly two-thirds of his touches show that.

He was top 30 in the league for average disposals last year - and was barely top 100 in the league for contested possessions.

To give you an example - he had something like 25% less contested possessions than Nic naitanui.

Guys like Angus Monfries and Matthew Stokes averaged more contested possessions.

That doesn't mean he isn't a useful player, his kicking skills off half back is considerable - but he's just not a ball-winner

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...11&type=A&fid1=P&fopt1=2009&fid2=P&fopt2=2009

You were saying?

Of course his numbers overall aren't as good in the contested area as many other players. He's playing at half-back, the supreme position for cheap stats. When he plays midfield his contested numbers and tackling is very good...certainly above average.

I'd back Gibbs in the middle over 9/10 midfielders.

Carlton just ahead of Collingwood and I feel they will get stronger with Garlett starting to roll through there.

Hawthorn would be right up there as well, If they had Hodge and Cyril playing nearly all of their football in there along side Mitchell.

Carlton just ahead of Collingwood and I feel they will get stronger with Garlett starting to roll through there.

Hawthorn would be right up there as well, If they had Hodge and Cyril playing nearly all of their football in there along side Mitchell.

Fair points overall but in the spirit of the thread I don't think Garlett and Rioli can really rate a mention given we're talking about the starting four.

Freo are sneaking under the radar. They haven't been able to get them all together for a while, but Sandilands, Mundy, Barlow and Fyfe is more than handy. Add Hill and Morabito on the wings and you've got a very nice mix. Might take them a while to gel, but it's getting there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best centre square starting four?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back