Best centre square starting four?

Remove this Banner Ad

Since everyone else is nominating their team, I'll say; Leuey, Rockliff, Redden and Rich is a good one for the future.

Rocky & Rich are very similar at stoppages. I'd go for Banfield over Rich (Rich is a gun, but wouldn't start him in the centre square with Rocky too often) and also hope that Polec, Beams and Bartlett (if his knee ever comes good) develop nicely.

Which is why you are top 4. Plenty of quality right there.

Its that tight. You could throw a blanket over so many teams.

Il have a go at naming the next four for each side.

COL- Thomas, Sidebottom, Wellingham, Beams. (Toovey, Blair)

ESS- Melksham, Heppel, Hocking, Myers. (Howlett, Lonergan)

Interesting at how the quality falls away.

A lot has been said about the bummers lack of quality and depth in the middle but this clearly shows how weak they are in this area. That starting 4 is comparable to a bottom 4 side. I note the Watson omission but even included, this wouldly flatter teams like Port and Brisbane.

Tazaa is right on the money here, our midfield is the best both in quality and depth and our starting 4 blitz even the second best quartet (Geelong for mine) by quite some distance. Pendlebury, Swan, Thomas, Ball, Sidebottom, Beams, Wellingham, Blair and quite a few others just show the elite midfield we possess :thumbsu:

A lot has been said about the bummers lack of quality and depth in the middle but this clearly shows how weak they are in this area. That starting 4 is comparable to a bottom 4 side. I note the Watson omission but even included, this wouldly flatter teams like Port and Brisbane.

Tazaa is right on the money here, our midfield is the best both in quality and depth and our starting 4 blitz even the second best quartet (Geelong for mine) by quite some distance. Pendlebury, Swan, Thomas, Ball, Sidebottom, Beams, Wellingham, Blair and quite a few others just show the elite midfield we possess :thumbsu:

Surely you are not that stupid?:eek:

That is not the Essendon starting four. That is our 7th-12th midfielders.

I'm still not sure if you are serious.

Not much in it between the best teams

West, Selwood, Bartel, Kelly matches up pretty well against all others

Surely you are not that stupid?:eek:

That is not the Essendon starting four. That is our 7th-12th midfielders.

I'm still not sure if you are serious.

Curious to see who you would rate in your top 1-6 then. Surely plodders like Stanton, Monfries, Myers, Howlett and Lonergan aren't considered in your top 6 midfielders :eek:

Also, not that a team experiencing lean times (like the bummers) would know but generally, its a good idea to name your best and strongest midfield at the start of a game to ensure you don't get blown away early - guess things are done differently down at Windy Hill :rolleyes:

Curious to see who you would rate in your top 1-6 then. Surely plodders like Stanton, Monfries, Myers, Howlett and Lonergan aren't considered in your top 6 midfielders :eek:

Also, not that a team experiencing lean times (like the bummers) would know but generally, its a good idea to name your best and strongest midfield at the start of a game to ensure you don't get blown away early - guess things are done differently down at Windy Hill :rolleyes:

Considering your comprehension skills are so poor that you thought that list of second tier mids was the clubs starting four, I won't be wasting much time trying to convince you of anything.

Also, love the fact that 3 of the players you list above, were actually on the previous list. You really are one sharp pencil.:eek:

With a fit Daniel Kerr, WCE can take anybody. Cox, Natanui, Priddis, Kerr, Shuey.

Week to week it's Collingwood, WCE then equal Carlton/Swans.

I really dont rate Hawthorn as an excellent midfield. Its serviceable and better than average ones.

Probably Pies then Blues

So... Hawthorn have a servicable midfield that's just above average, a shit backline, & terrible rucks according to the plebs on this site. Rioli is also the most overrated player in the history of the game and Ryan Schoenmakers is the worst player on an AFL list, despite getting a regular game at a club who is almost a cert to make the top 4.

Since all this is obviously true, can someone please explain to me the following:

1. How were we 3 points within a Grand Final last year.

2. How did we go 18-4 last year, whilst copping major injuries to three KP players.

3. How are we premiership favourites.

I mean, with an average midfield, a shit backline and terrible rucks, we should count ourselves lucky if we can beat Melbourne.

Have to agree that Gibbs is no good in the center. I think Kreuzer is a unique ruckman as there are a number of flashy ruckmen who can give an outside option and play from behind the play and rack up possessions but no other side has a ruckman that gives their side a good quality hard nut clearance winner. Judd and murphy are as good as you get and speak for themselves. I wouldn't count Gibbs in Carlton's best onball group.
That would be Kreuzer - Murphy Judd Carrazzo. What makes Carlton so good is that Curnow, Robinson, Scotland are very good players who play the third best onballer role very well and offer plenty. Ellard and Mclean will be in reserve for this spot. One day Yarran will absolutly carve up in the center square, just wait for it.

For mine Geelong have Bartel, Selwood and Chappy
The Hawks have Sewell, Mitchell, Hodge
Collingwood have Jolly, Swann and Pendlebury and Ball plays his role.

All very good starting roles and to pick a best 3 would be hard. All the top midfield's have something different about them.

So... Hawthorn have a servicable midfield that's just above average, a shit backline, & terrible rucks according to the plebs on this site. Rioli is also the most overrated player in the history of the game and Ryan Schoenmakers is the worst player on an AFL list, despite getting a regular game at a club who is almost a cert to make the top 4.

Since all this is obviously true, can someone please explain to me the following:

2. How did we go 18-4 last year, whilst copping major injuries to three KP players.

I mean, with an average midfield, a shit backline and terrible rucks, we should count ourselves lucky if we can beat Melbourne.

No matter if your first or last, teams will always get criticized. No one can be perfect. Last will get judged on everything, a team on the cusp of the 8 will get judged on personel, a team outside the 4 will get judged on their defence or forward line, and a team challenging for the flag will have its bottom 3-4 players critiqued.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to agree that Gibbs is no good in the center. I think Kreuzer is a unique ruckman as there are a number of flashy ruckmen who can give an outside option and play from behind the play and rack up possessions but no other side has a ruckman that gives their side a good quality hard nut clearance winner. Judd and murphy are as good as you get and speak for themselves. I wouldn't count Gibbs in Carlton's best onball group.

No not at all.....

I mean Sandilands is just a wimp at clearances....

Kreuzer is reasonable at clearances and reasonable at ruckwork - but what he brings rather uniquely is his genuine ability to play forward and work around the ground. He is far from being the best clearance ruckman in the league

Considering your comprehension skills are so poor that you thought that list of second tier mids was the clubs starting four, I won't be wasting much time trying to convince you of anything.

Nice deflect, you're good at dodging questions - you should be a politician ;)

So you rate Melksham, Heppel, Hocking, Myers. (Howlett, Lonergan) as your "7th-12th midfielders"

Let's have a look at your top 12 midfielders then:
1. Watson (good but not elite)
2.?
3.?
4.?
5.?
6.?
7. Melksham (LOL)
8. Heppell (Half back flanker - needs a hair cut)
9. Hocking (averages 18 touches a game, probably a better VFL player)
10. Myers (really? Pretty sure he is an average defender)
11. Howlett (oh no...)
12. Lonergan (dear me...)

Which players does that leave for the mighty bombers to fill out the top 6 in your irrelevant opinion? As I said previously, curious to see who these guns are? How could I have not realised the red and black have an elite midfield? :eek:

I'm gunna be *that* guy and fix it for you.
Ryder & Hocking are in our starting 4.

1) Ryder/Watson/Stanton/Hocking
2) Hille/Melksham/Howlett/Zaharakis.

I'm gonna be that guy and show you how reasonable our depth is.

3) Bellchambers, Heppell, Lonergan, Jetta.

So... Hawthorn have a servicable midfield that's just above average
The midfield is not as good as the Pies, Blues, Cats.

Sewell, Mitchell, Shiels and Hodge are all similar paced.

Guys like Burgoyne and Rioli are better elsewhere.

It is a good midfield, but lacks the balance that the top few teams have.
a shit backline
You dont have a shit backline, but you have sh1t KPD.

Birchall, Burgoyne are quality HBFs.

terrible rucks according to the plebs on this site.
Yep, you have Bailey who is the most injury prone bloke on an AFL list...and isn't that good from what he has actually shown when playing.

Then it is a couple of KPFs in Hale and Roughy who will help fill in, plus a rookie listed bloke in McCauley.

Rioli is also the most overrated player in the history of the game and
Yep.

Rioli is a good small forward, like most good small forwards he will do a couple of flashy things in a game and then go missing for the majority of it.

Guys like Milne, Betts, Garlett kick way more goals than Cyril....yet people talk about Cyril as if he is a top 20 player in the league.

People tend to rate Cyril as better than S.Johnson and LeCras who are the elite players in his position. Tis laughable.

Ryan Schoenmakers is the worst player on an AFL list, despite getting a regular game at a club who is almost a cert to make the top 4.
He gets a game due to the complete lack of KPD at Hawthorn.

Collingwood had hit the wall, West Coast also pushed the pies in the QF.

Your injuries were massively over-rated.
Buddy and Cyril, Hawthorn are always rated favorably at the start of every season.

At the beginning of 2011 Hawthorn were the 3rd favs....ahead of St.Kilda who had just played in back to back GFs.

At the beginning of 2010 Hawthorn were 4th favs, ahead of Collingwood despite not even making the finals in 2009.

Hawthorn are always spruiked in the off-season, and it is the Buddy and Cyril factor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best centre square starting four?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back