Best centre square starting four?

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...11&type=A&fid1=P&fopt1=2009&fid2=P&fopt2=2009

You were saying?

Of course his numbers overall aren't as good in the contested area as many other players. He's playing at half-back, the supreme position for cheap stats.

I'd back Gibbs in the middle over 9/10 midfielders.

So your assertion that 3 years ago Gibbs averaged more possessions than Pendlebury makes him a ball winner?

Guess what - even in that year Pendlebury averaged more contested possessions and clearances. Gibbs was about 50th in the league for contested possession that year. Pendles was also the 6th best clearance player in the league that year.

Not only that - Pendelbury has subsequently increased his contested possession rate over 40%.

I don't see how it can be argued. Gibbs is a quality kick and knows where to go to get his team-mates to get him the ball. If he was an elite ball winner he'd be part of the centre-midfield rotation.

If you think a player being relegated to half back is a good thing you are mistaken. no doubt players can perform at half-back - but the greats of the game play in the middle, not half back. People revere Greg Williams, not Mil Hanna.

Would be interesting to know if the OP was talking in relation to the clearance work from the centre bounces, or simply the best 4 ruck/midfielders put together by a side.

I still think Collingwood would be the best in either scenario - albeit I think Thomas is a better footballer than Ball, but for centre square work I'd choose Ball.

I think this would definitely be between carlton and collingwood seeing as both hawthorne and geelong lack a quality ruckman at this present time. And based on performances from this year (though not trully enough time) carlton are ahead.
The third midfielder in the centre (whether that be carrazzo simpson or robinson) is just playing better footy in the centre then ball for collingwood (or sidebottom, thomas or beams for that matter).

Though we will have a better understanding of this on friday night. But at the moment its very hard to argue against the blues to have the best starting 4 - Kreuzer, Judd, Murphy, Carrazzo

How many times exactly do you think that group have lined up together in the centre? Couldn't have been too many.

Well injuries have played a big part in that, this weekend will see them line up like that however and hopefully it stays that way for a while yet. With Hill and also Morabito to come in as a pretty good wing combo, it's certainly not our weakness anymore (the midfield).

Agreed that Carlton probably has the best at the moment.

Very unlikely it's even that many tbh, Barlow was injured in Rnd 13 2010 and the games Fyfe had played at that point were not as part of the full-time midfield rotation. We've never seen them as a proper cohesive unit before which is what makes it so exciting.

Yeah absolutely. I might be wrong though but I think Ross will lean towards having at least one slightly more defensively minded player among the preferred starting group. Will be very interesting to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Naitanui Priddis Kerr Scott Selwood

All Time? Can't go past Cox Judd Cousins Kerr - all at their absolute peak.

You know what would be a better thread.
Who are your 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th midfielders.
Every team is going to have a gun starting quartet.

Il even have a go at naming each clubs.

COL- Jolly, Pendlebury, Swan, Ball.
CAR- Kreuzer, Judd, Murphy, Gibbs.
GEE- West, Selwood, Bartel, Kelly.
HAW- Bailey, Mitchell, Hodge, Sewell.
WCE- Cox, Kerr, Priddis, Schuey.
NTH- Goldstein, Swallow, Wells, Ziebell.
SYD- Mumford, Goodes, Jack, Kennedy.
ESS- Hille, Watson, Stanton, Zaharakis.
FRE- Sandilands, Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow.
STK- McEvoy, DalSanto, Hayes, Goddard.
RIC- Maric, Cotchin, Martin, Deledio.
ADE- Jacobs, Van Berlo, Thompson, Vince.
WST- Minson, Boyd, Cooney, Griffen.
MEL- Jamar, Trengove, Moloney, Magner.
GCS- Smith, Ablett, Swallow, Rischitelli.
BRI- Leuenberger, Black, Rockliff, Rich.
POR- Redden, Cassisi, Cornes, Boak.
GWS- Giles, Scully, Ward, Palmer.

Il even have a go at naming each clubs.

HAW- Bailey, Mitchell, Lewis, Sewell.
WCE- Cox, Kerr, Priddis, Schuey.
NTH- Goldstein, Swallow, Wells, Ziebell.
SYD- Mumford, Goodes, Jack, Kennedy.
ESS- Hille, Watson, Stanton, Zaharakis.
FRE- Sandilands, Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow.
STK- McEvoy, DalSanto, Hayes, Montagna.
RIC- Maric, Cotchin, Martin, Deledio.
ADE- Jacobs, Van Berlo, Thompson, Vince.
WST- Minson, Boyd, Cooney, Griffen.
MEL- Jamar, Trengove, Moloney, Magner.
GCS- Smith, Ablett, Swallow, Rischitelli.
BRI- Leuenberger, Black, Rockliff, Rich.
POR- Redden, Cassisi, Cornes, Boak.
GWS- Giles, Scully, Ward, Palmer.

Our next 4 is probably Thomas, Wellingham, Sidebottom & Beams which isn't too shabby.

Fair points overall but in the spirit of the thread I don't think Garlett and Rioli can really rate a mention given we're talking about the starting four.

True, I do think they will eventually round out the starting 4's though.

So far this year its Kreuzer, Judd, Murphy, Carrazzo, over Jolly, Pendlebury, Swan, Ball.

True, I do think they will eventually round out the starting 4's though.

So far this year its Kreuzer, Judd, Murphy, Carrazzo, over Jolly, Pendlebury, Swan, Ball.

I doubt Garlett will ever have the frame to be anything more than a burst midfielder..

HAW- Bailey, Mitchell, Lewis, Sewell.
etc...

Agreed, This is starting to look really even, probably 11-12 teams could make an argument for the top 8.

Would be interesting to know if the OP was talking in relation to the clearance work from the centre bounces, or simply the best 4 ruck/midfielders put together by a side.

I still think Collingwood would be the best in either scenario - albeit I think Thomas is a better footballer than Ball, but for centre square work I'd choose Ball.

Yep, I mean ruckmen wins tap down to your ruck- rover ,centreman or rover and gets a nice clean clearance into the forward 50.Or , your mids shark the hitout and still win the clearance into the forward 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best centre square starting four?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back