Best football school in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

AP70 said:
Lets bring some names into the debate, just not numbers. Not a bad team with Madden in the ruck and Lloyd at full forward... Always very hard to compare eras and unless the schools play each other who knows. Goes in cycles too.

FOOTBALL AFL/VFL - St Bernard's - 50 Players.
NAME CLUB GAMES GOALS
Bentick, Adam CARLTON 14 2
Berry, Bill ESSENDON 14 4
FOOTSCRAY 43 15
NORTH MELBOURNE 12 0
Bolton, Jude SYDNEY SWANS 139 69
Calthorpe, David ESSENDON 92 45
BRISBANE 9 2
NORTH MELBOURNE 13 10
Cartledge, Tristan ESSENDON 4 1
Collins, David ESSENDON 14 6
Cook, James CARLTON 25 35
FOOTSCRAY 49 96
MELBOURNE 3 8
Cross, Daniel WESTERN BULLDOGS 46 4
Darcy, David FOOTSCRAY 133 48
Davis, Michael ESSENDON 4 1
SYDNEY SWANS 1 1
Doran, Paul ESSENDON 82 34
Egan, Kevin ESSENDON 54 13
Fanning, John ESSENDON 6 1
Filandia, Peter ESSENDON 13 15
SYDNEY SWANS 70 38
Foulds, Garry ESSENDON 300 140
Grbac, Anton ESSENDON 2 0
Hamilton, Paul ESSENDON 102 6
Hampson, Roger ESSENDON 10 1
Iacobucci, Adam COLLINGWOOD 3 0
Johnston, Andrew FITZROY 9 3
Johnston, David ESSENDON 41 6
FITZROY 25 1
Keane, Gavin ESSENDON 29 18
BRISBANE 7 0
Lalor, Ray ESSENDON 6 2
Lloyd, Brad HAWTHORN 11 3
Lloyd, Matthew ESSENDON 209 754
Lucas, Scott ESSENDON 203 303
McAllester, Jim ESSENDON 2 0
FOOTSCRAY 24 4
COLLINGWOOD 10 18
McKenzie, Don FOOTSCRAY 138 128
McKernan, Noel NORTH MELBOURNE 11 0
McLean, Ricky CARLTON 19 35
RICHMOND 39 103
Madden, Justin ESSENDON 45 20
CARLTON 287 170
Madden, Simon ESSENDON 378 575
Mitchell, Nick FITZROY 9 2
Morgan, Daniel ESSENDON 16 2
O’Dwyer, Steven MELBOURNE 84 45
RICHMOND 5 0
O’Halloran, Jack ESSENDON 10 3
NORTH MELBOURNE 75 56
FOOTSCRAY 17 13
Pagan, Ryan NORTH MELBOURNE 3 0
Paine, Brian ESSENDON 1 0
Prest, Warren ESSENDON 3 0
Reynolds, Joel ESSENDON 27 7
Sholl, Brad NORTH MELBOURNE 2 0
GEELONG 169 46
Sholl, Brett CARLTON 35 9
Stubbs, Justin ESSENDON 3 5
Swan, Dane COLLINGWOOD 30 5
Trusler, Alan FOOTSCRAY 16 30
Trusler, Wally FOOTSCRAY 1 0
Tuckey, Brent COLLINGWOOD 18 8
WEST COAST EAGLES 3
Tudor, Leigh NORTH MELBOURNE 8 6
GEELONG 60 53
Welsh, John ESSENDON 9 0
Welsh, Rohan CARLTON 42 59

I think you will find the majority of these blokes on went there after they were drafted from elsewhere as 17 year olds (therefore only saw the school in year 11 and/or 12). Why do footy clubs stick there young players into this particular school - Stick dumb blokes in with other dumb blokes. Cheap fees too- you get what you pay for!

kingfooty said:
only 50 players.....Assumption have had over 130 players play AFL/VFL. No questions about it...Assumption is the best of all time

49 players buddy, Tristan Carledge is a St pats boy, he only went to Melbourne when he got Drafted at the end of yr 11 as a 17 year old and he needed somewhere to goto school in Melbourne for year 12. So dont even try and clame him

footyfanatic007 said:
You'd be surprised, theres still a fair amount of interest from boarders. Around 20-30 per year level on average. And still the boarders dominate the sporting culture.

That's a huge drop in numbers. Used be 300+ boarders when i was there.

dunno if anyone else knows about this stat but Essendon Keilor College has had 11 players drafted out of the past 6 years. does any other school have better numbers? im not big on the school football side of things but i read this in a newsletter and wandered what some fo the big schools have had in the same time.

some of the names from EKC include Andrew Welsh, Brent Reilly, Ryan Crowley, Brad Murphy, Brock McLean, David Fanning, Jake Edwards, Dunn at The Dees taken pick 14 in 2004 draft i think.

bush_tucker77 said:
dunno if anyone else knows about this stat but Essendon Keilor College has had 11 players drafted out of the past 6 years. does any other school have better numbers? im not big on the school football side of things but i read this in a newsletter and wandered what some fo the big schools have had in the same time.

some of the names from EKC include Andrew Welsh, Brent Reilly, Ryan Crowley, Brad Murphy, Brock McLean, David Fanning, Jake Edwards, Dunn at The Dees taken pick 14 in 2004 draft i think.

They never do any good as a team. They havent gone far in the Herald Sun Sheild.

Divado said:
They never do any good as a team. They havent gone far in the Herald Sun Sheild.
i completely agree with divado never perform no matter how good there team is individualy as a team they never have successful TILTS kinda like a bunch of other blokes i know assumption easily da best no argumants ya punk asses

Flying Joey said:
pretty sure it did.. i played against them in 2004 and we played their side vs our whole squad of 28.. and we won by 5 goals.. still SHC prob a long way off knocking off some of the previously mentioned VIC schools.. wats WA footy like atm?

I played in that game for BCC and until we took off our best players and put on our seconds group we were in front all day. It was not a Ballarat rep side.at all.

People in Melborne and Adelaide undervalue the Ballarat Schools Competition.

I also played for the Rebels and the quality of the local competition was very good.

The Grand Final against SPC which we lost was one of the best games I have played in.

sheppos boys said:
I played in that game for BCC and until we took off our best players and put on our seconds group we were in front all day. It was not a Ballarat rep side.at all.

People in Melborne and Adelaide undervalue the Ballarat Schools Competition.

you guys led almost all day because we played the day before and rested our leadership group as well as the 3 players who are now playing afl.. we had 3rds players playing..

and secondly, adelaide ppl dont care about ballarat footy.. they actually dont care too much for melbourne footy apart from the colleges that partake in exchanges..

At the end of the day just about every school whether they are APS / AGS / ACC or from wherever can lay claim to champion players that have gone on to VFL/AFL careers but ask just about anyone who follows the game and Assumption College is always recognised as the premier football nursery . The APS competition is a good one but lacks the physicality of the ACC and the AGS and definately local football leagues , the only reason its talked about amongst the private school fraternity is because it has some prestige due to its long history.

daveyboy3 said:
You can't claim cartledge mate, he was a st pats boy till yr 11 when he was drafted as a 17 year old and needed a school to go to in melbourne.

Fair enough, I was only copy/pasting what is on the school website: Don't know the kid...

http://www.sbc.melb.catholic.edu.au/groups/oc/wof.php

It's just a list of kids who went to the school and then played VFL/AFL. Not trying to bag any other school or 'steal' players. Was simply looking for some stats rather than all the subjective chatter.

FWIW Assumption in Vic and Sacred Heart in SA have always been the 2 schools considered the best - IMHO. Just trying to make things interesting...

Still waiting for someone to post a list of Assumption players. Would be keen to see a full list...

This year will be a walkover for st pats in both their comps which they participate in- BPSA or whatever its called and Herald sun shield. Theyv'e kept more than half their players from last year and have recruited well with players like Tyler Saunders,Tyson Lovett-Murray and Matt rice. Rice who untill this year attended BCC will be another added force yo the colleges already dominant midfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we will never be able to publish a list of assumption boys who went on ta play at the highest level theres to many well over 130 n to say st.pats will b a walk up in the herald shield is utter stupidy be real m8 fair enough they may b a big realistic chance but say that not a walk up your sying that st.pats will dominate the hrdest comp in victoria dont be so one sided

the_pill said:
This year will be a walkover for st pats in both their comps which they participate in- BPSA or whatever its called and Herald sun shield. Theyv'e kept more than half their players from last year and have recruited well with players like Tyler Saunders,Tyson Lovett-Murray and Matt rice. Rice who untill this year attended BCC will be another added force yo the colleges already dominant midfield
is the tyler saunders u are talking about originally a south australian country boy by any chance?

Dont think anyone could argue with Xaviers dominance of the 90's... Haileyburys dominance of today.

But over the history of the game it would have to be St Kevins and Assumption... and as some assumption guy keeps saying they have had 130+ play AFL/VFL, St Kevins have had 165... with one in each of the last 4 or 5 premiership sides.

curtains said:
School footy is overrated why don't you kids learn something at school

Curtains do you have some sort of mental deficiency as this is school football thread, therefore school football is the discussion, how about you get some sort of intellect before typing something so ******ed.

Whispers said:
St. Joseph's Geelong is looking solid also! I think 11 players on the Geelong Falcons list are attending ST. Joseph's this year. Current AFL players from St. Joseph's are Cameron Ling, James Bartel, Matthew Scarlett, Nick Maxwell, Joel Renoylds, Danny Stanley, Shaun Higgins.

You can throw Matt Maguire in their as well, I think.

Formers inlcude Leo Turner, Mick Woolnough, Brian Brushfield, Barry Stoneham, Mick Mansfield, Mark Neeld, the Bourke Brothers'.

There are a few more...not the best, but certainly been a consistent supplier of talent to VFL/AFL clubs, despite no co-ordinated football program other than ACC/Herald-Sun Shield competition!!!!

SouthSwans said:
St. Marys (Northern Territory)
Xavier played a combined team from Northen T which had top players froma number of teams including quite a few from St Marys and xavier mauled them last year and they wern't very strong then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best football school in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back