Best games and moments from the decade, 2000-2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 23, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
Seeing as the AFL has seemingly shunned the concept of a decade highlight's dvd.

Be them obvious, or obscure.

will list the following to start off with:

-some truly classic finals matches. the 2001 semi-final between hawthorn and port, the essendon-hawthorn prelim the week later, and then some beauties in 2002 - collingwood vs port adelaide (qualifying final), melbourne vs adelaide (semi), in one of the most underrated and unappreciated matches of all time, with the lead swinging from one side to another all day, the collingwood-brisbane grand final in the wet. that's for starters.

-some ripper marks. matthew robbins' grab over chris johnson is oft-overlooked, but it was one of the greats. had a great spot in the crowd to view that, too. burton's mark (similar-ish seats, which was handy), tarrant twice, and of course leaping leo barry. but the greatest mark, ever to be taken? gary moorcroft in r14, 2001 vs the bulldogs. he could do no wrong that night.

-some great days out for certain players. moorcroft as mentioned above, david king's seven goals in the '00 qualifying final, matthew croft's five goals in his final match vs the kangaroos in r20, 2004, richo's many marks and nine goals in r21, 2006 vs richmond, milne with 11 in r22 2005 vs brisbane (marked the end of the lions great era), nathan buckley's 46-possessions and two goals vs freo in r2, 2001, james hird's final term vs wce r3 2004, brodie holland's eight goals vs wce, r2 2002, when the pies got up by a point, jeff farmer's seven-second half goals vs the pies, r13 2000, when he was only brought on the ground after ben beams broke his wrist.

-seeing some of the greatest players of all time. a truly great batch of players, including (no order):
buckley
hird
voss
r.harvey
king carey
koutofidies
richardson
crawford
akermanis
grant
cousins
s.black
lloyd
ricciuto
mcleod
west
brad johnson
neitz

then the mid-2000s to 2009 batch of stars - judd, riewoldt, fevola, tredrea (2004 his peak), kerr, cox, hall, kirk, ablett, bartel, s.johnson, hodge, franklin, pavlich and many others. blessed to see such talent.

-some of the greatest matches:
2002 grand final pies-lions
r8 2002 pies-lions
r22 2002 port-brisbane
2002 semi final dees-crows
2005 and 2006 grand finals swans-eagles
cats-saints r14 and grand final 2009
dees-dockers r6 2005 (underrated this one, one of the best i've been to, neitz, holland, robertson, farmer, pavlich and mcpharlin all with five or more)
saints-bulldogs r18 2007 (draw)
2009 semi final pies-crows
2007 prelim pies-cats (something truly special, even though we lost)
2004 prelim power-saints (what a finish)
bulldogs-cats r4 2006 (one-point the diff)
bombers-bulldogs r21 2000 (from a tactical/tension standpoint)
pies-bulldogs r5 2000 (very tense match)
pies-crows r7 2003 (crows led by 5-6 goals at different stages, pies fought back each time, tarrant after siren)
2007 semi final pies-eagles (need i say more?)
bombers-eagles r12 2007 (hird at his best, fletcher saved dons on the last line with his spoil)
saints-eagles r21 2007 (really enjoyed this one, terrific finish with cousins inspiring the final goal to lecras (?))

i'm sure there are many more you can list, apologies for the many i've missed. would be handy to have a fixture when i list these.

the best goals? here are a few:
-brad johnson in 2005, vs brisbane, out of midair
-dale thomas' non-goal of the year vs stk, r14, 2007. truly magnificent. did what we all do in the backyard.
-leon davis' best, imo, is a three-way tie between r3 2007 vs richmond (off balance, no daylight to speak of, banana, goal, r17 2009 vs carlton (broke the tackle, toepoke, snap, goal), and his four-effort goal vs freo, r22 2008
-didak's two crunch goals in the 2003 qualifying final vs brisbane. that marks a star, performing under pressure like that
-corey jones' match winner vs sydney in about r19 2004, snapping from the pocket. what a kick. 'jones! jones has goaled!'
-there's this one by hird i remember very well which sums him up to me. r20, 2004 vs collingwood. just took the ball so calmly amaid the chaos, and just stood there, as the pack stormed past/around him, before casually snapping the goal.

what more can be added?

Rama's cancer battles, comeback, injury, comeback again, then retirement will stick with me for a while. He coulda been a really great player going off his first couple of years.

Nick Davis destroying the cats (twice?) in last quarters were memorable too. Stewie Dewie's 3rd quarter actually reminded me of Dean Rioli, pity we never saw the best of him.

Adam-Goodes-brownlow.jpg

Goodes becoming a dominant player capped off with two Brownlows.

site_30_rand_1483605483_o_loughlin_306.jpg

The rivalry with West Coast. Love that photo.

Barry.jpg

Hall v Staker (v Wakelin, v Rutten, v Simpson, v Corey, v Maguire, v Vozzo)

leobarry-5686215.jpg

The mark.

sydneyswans_wideweb__430x303.jpg

The premiership win after 72 years.

They would be my 5 Swans memories from the decade. Retirements were big as well. The night when Kelly and Dunkley retired, and the night when O'Loughlin, Barry and Crouch retired were emotional.

Other moments:

McCartney returning and retiring in the same game. Amazing comeback
Carey playing against North for the first time after the incident. Carey v Archer.
Brown and Riewoldt taking those unbelievable marks running back with the flight of the ball.

one of he biggest and most anticipated moments from the decade would have to be Wayne Carey in a crows jumper lining up against the Kangas. The build up to that game was huge.

Hawks v Cats 2009, second game. Cats by a point after being 5 goals down.

-some ripper marks. matthew robbins' grab over chris johnson is oft-overlooked, but it was one of the greats. had a great spot in the crowd to view that, too. burton's mark (similar-ish seats, which was handy), tarrant twice, and of course leaping leo barry. but the greatest mark, ever to be taken? gary moorcroft in r14, 2001 vs the bulldogs. he could do no wrong that night.
Moorcroft's was indeed special and definitely in my top two of the 2000s, probably at number 1.

However this one gets overlooked time and time again, an absolute classic that ticks every box.

hawkansf07030.jpg

Huge height, huge fall and taken overhead. If you have those three nailed then you've taken one of the all time great grabs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jason McCartney
Rob Harvey St K record breaking game
James Hird last quarter
Stewart Loewe farewell game
Allen Jakovitch purple patch

One of my favourite moments of the decade was watching Judd absolutely smash Brisbane in 2003 with 4/5 awesome goals that really got peple noticing him. I remember the commentators like Dermie were speechless after his goals.

My other favourite moments was watching Cox Judd Cousins & Kerr play together in the middle. They are the greatest midfield combo the game will ever see. I wish they were still together as they would have become even better.

Gary Moorcroft's 2nd quarter vs St Kilda in 2001 including the mark of the decade.
Nick Davis's final quarter vs Geelong in 2005 including the match winning goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best games and moments from the decade, 2000-2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Back