Opinion Best GF entertainment in history

Remove this Banner Ad

She’s a poor choice, and they couldn’t have struck more when the iron was cold.

People thinking this is a modern pop choice when her peak was 10-15 years ago. The reality is she’s been surpassed by contemporaries like Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, Rihanna etc, let alone those who’ve followed. It’d be like getting Roxette in 2004 and saying they appealed to the kids.

Anyway, whatever, it’s basically a grace note on the day, but it’s amusing this has dropped just as she’s been making headlines for how washed up her career is now.
The target audience are the corporate boxes, filled with people my age who 15 years ago could still pretend to themselves they were (we weren't, but could still delude ourselves so) and Katy Perry is about as modern as music knowledge goes for many. Then they have to pick somebody reasonably mainstream or risk alienating too much of that audience.

Plus, she has done the MCG for a quick set before and after a major event before without "Loafing it" (yes, that's a term). Not my thing, but a solid enough choice given the big-ticket target audience is corporate box, middle aged (and older), theatre goers demanding a recognisable name, rather than sub-30 year old football fans who are mostly locked out on the day anyway - and certainly not paying thousands a head for their chance at bribing a client or two.
Plus the Grand Final is a place careers go to die anyway.

Rihanna did the superbowl literally last year. You're kidding me if you think Perry's in the same stratosphere of relevance as her.

Sounds like Perry has splashed some of Orlando's money on some bots.
Lol mate youre dreaming if you think the afl can get an a grade star at their peak let alone rihanna fresh off a superbowl.

I actually don't mind some of her songs off Teenage Dream. I'm sure she will play a couple of those because that album was big. Her new single is very ordinary though.

I was reminded that it could be worse when I saw someone suggest that Birds of Tokyo should play again instead. FMD.

She’s a poor choice, and they couldn’t have struck more when the iron was cold.

People thinking this is a modern pop choice when her peak was 10-15 years ago. The reality is she’s been surpassed by contemporaries like Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, Rihanna etc, let alone those who’ve followed. It’d be like getting Roxette in 2004 and saying they appealed to the kids.

Anyway, whatever, it’s basically a grace note on the day, but it’s amusing this has dropped just as she’s been making headlines for how washed up her career is now.
You really are clueless if you think Lady Gaga and Rihanna are still churning out hits. Regardless, any of those female pop stars that peaked circa 2010, including Katy Perry, would fit the bill as they primarily appeal to women in their 30s--a demographic in which the AFL slaughters rugby league, cricket, and soccer, and they intend to keep it that way.

giphy.gif

I don't know, might just work

1721902923045.png

Also up for a bit of diversity as well, if she wants to kiss a hot girl.

I hope she opens with her Menu Log song.

Honestly I’d be pissed if I payed $1000 for a ticket to see my team play a granny and I had to sit through Katie Perry in the middle of it.

I hope she opens with her Menu Log song.

Honestly I’d be pissed if I payed $1000 for a ticket to see my team play a granny and I had to sit through Katie Perry in the middle of it.
Well you’re in luck. It’s been pregame for many years now

Lotta talk that she is 'past her peak'.

Same type of comments last yeat when KISS was anounced, but most praised their show afterwards.

Don't have to be at the height of popularity to put on a good display.

One of Australia’s biggest musical exports are playing in Melbourne in Grand Final week. Surely they can just just stick around an extra couple of days?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Killers were coming off their 5th #1 charting album when they played.
It was their 2nd no.1 album in Australia (first since 2004), and didn't get there until after the GF.

Ed Sheeran is the only one to perform in the midst of truly crushing album sales (as in 10x platinum, not just no.1), and hardly anybody remembers it.

It was their 2nd no.1 album in Australia (first since 2004), and didn't get there until after the GF.

Ed Sheeran is the only one to perform in the midst of truly crushing album sales (as in 10x platinum, not just no.1), and hardly anybody remembers it.

The world is bigger than Australia.

It was #1 in the US and the UK.

They are also widely considered to be the best half time entertainment at a GF of all time.

The world is bigger than Australia.

It was #1 in the US and the UK.

They are also widely considered to be the best half time entertainment at a GF of all time.
Sold something like 100k in the US compared to 4 million for their debut, and the AFL were being shit on for picking another "washed up" act.

So yeah, maybe 10-15 years experience of performing in front of big crowds is more important for this gig than simply having the latest chart-topper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Best GF entertainment in history

Remove this Banner Ad

Back