Best Grounds of Each Section 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

There is more to a good "ground" than just the playing surface including the various amenities and facilities at and nearby the ground. The truly best grounds must tick most of these boxes.

1 - Great playing surface
2 - Comfortable change rooms
3 - Good viewing from a) grandstand b) social rooms c) car parking around the boundary line
4 - Good value, high quality canteen facilities staffed by "friendly" locals
5 - Decent entertainment facilities within walking distance if the quality of the match heads South, ie. pub, TAB, strippers nearby.
6 - Protection from the prevailing and unpredictable Melbourne weather.
7 - Proximity to public transport

Grounds I'd like to nominate that tick most of these boxes - Junction Oval (OM's), Central Reserve (Mazenod), Toorak Park (Old Xavs/Prahran), W.T Peterson - although definitely not for the surface (Fitzroy), Keysborough Playing Fields (Old Mentonians) and any ground on Bulleen Road (Old Trinity, Old Carey, Marcellin and throw in Manningham around the corner).

Old Carey just nudging Old Trinity just nudging OMs then daylight for the rest of the comp let alone B Grade

Daylight??

I dont think you saw Marcellin's ground this year! I am not being biast but the 3 best grounds I have played on are ours, Trinity, Carey and Junction.
I have not seen Manningham so I cannot comment.
Having Old Trinity and OM's back in A Grade is fantastic in regards to grounds because A Grade has some of the worst decks going around!

Daylight??

I dont think you saw Marcellin's ground this year! I am not being biast but the 3 best grounds I have played on are ours, Trinity, Carey and Junction.
Having Old Trinity and OM's back in A Grade is fantastic in regards to grounds because A Grade has some of the worst decks going around!

Have to agree Dan - Remember last year Rack Heppell's magnificent call when coaching the Ressies against Marcellin liking your ground to Miranda Kerr! Gold!

Daylight??

Sorry - missing Marcellin was an oversight. Add it to the other three, then daylight

There is more to a good "ground" than just the playing surface including the various amenities and facilities at and nearby the ground. The truly best grounds must tick most of these boxes.

1 - Great playing surface
2 - Comfortable change rooms
3 - Good viewing from a) grandstand b) social rooms c) car parking around the boundary line
4 - Good value, high quality canteen facilities staffed by "friendly" locals
5 - Decent entertainment facilities within walking distance if the quality of the match heads South, ie. pub, TAB, strippers nearby.
6 - Protection from the prevailing and unpredictable Melbourne weather.
7 - Proximity to public transport

Grounds I'd like to nominate that tick most of these boxes - Junction Oval (OM's), Central Reserve (Mazenod), Toorak Park (Old Xavs/Prahran), W.T Peterson - although definitely not for the surface (Fitzroy), Keysborough Playing Fields (Old Mentonians) and any ground on Bulleen Road (Old Trinity, Old Carey, Marcellin and throw in Manningham around the corner).

Harper...
Surley with this range of criteria you must also include the following venues and the host of several VAFA Finals weeks:
1. Allex Gillon Oval, Pearson St. (North Old Boys)
2. St. Bernard's College (St. Bernards)
3. Trevor Barker Oval (known to us all)
4. Even, yes, dare I say it....Elsternwick Park....which is actually the home of the VAFA whether we like it or not
The world is a big place, Harper my friend, and sometimes we ahave to accept whatever comes....we are only amatuers remember!

Daylight??

Dan,

Um - that'd be four ground you've nominted, not 3. ;)
Agree these 4 are the best I've played on too. Big wrap for the OMs ground at Keysborough too, so the AGSV crew have it by a nose.

Trevor Barker Oval was great prior to the dry spells, now it's dropped a bit, and the wind there was always annoying. Toorak Park used to be a bog before the drought resistant turf was laid, and it was great in 2008, but deteriorated sugnificantly this season.

Basically, if you want a good surface, here's hoping your folks were shelling out $20K a year for your education prior to you starting your VAFA career, and your old boys club shares its groud with the school kids.

Frase

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harper...
Surley with this range of criteria you must also include the following venues and the host of several VAFA Finals weeks:
1. Allex Gillon Oval, Pearson St. (North Old Boys)
2. St. Bernard's College (St. Bernards)
3. Trevor Barker Oval (known to us all)
4. Even, yes, dare I say it....Elsternwick Park....which is actually the home of the VAFA whether we like it or not
The world is a big place, Harper my friend, and sometimes we ahave to accept whatever comes....we are only amatuers remember!

RM, Good call on The Gillon, however I must have wiped it from memory after multiple losses to Nobs and others during finals that amount to a for and against of about 1,000,000 (them) to 60(us).

Never played at St Bernard's. Trevor Barker is another good call, don't rate Sportscover unless I get an invite to lunch and I'd like to add Bentleigh Rec Reserve even though I haven't seen the surface for a while.

Alec Gillon is possibly the worst ground that I have ever played on. Disgrace that the VAFA has played finals on it.. only reason they played finals there was so they can charge people when they come in coz it is closed off. terrible playing surface, terrible stand, terrible change rooms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Grounds of Each Section 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Back