Best NSW born and bred player of all time.

Remove this Banner Ad

bloodsbigot

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 17, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I just wanted everyones opinion on who they think the best born and bred NSW Aussie Rules player of all time would be.

I'm not really that knowledgeable in regards to NSW born and bred players, so I was hoping someone could shed a little light on the subject.

At first I thought players like Wayne Carey were there, but upon further research it appears he moved to Adelaide with his brother early in his life after Wagga Wagga. I'm not really sure if this counts as 'born and bred.' Nick Davis also popped into my mind but he was born in Melbourne. Longmire and Paul Kelly would have to be up there.

Lenny Hayes
Pennant Hills Demons boy!
What a gun club and a gun player... Played all my junior footy there!

Others from Penno... Kieran Jack, Ray Hall, Stefan Carey and you may remember Nick Potter on the swannies rookie list a few years ago, his brother jackson has a scholarship with the swans and is a gun as well. 16 atm

Craig Bird i reckon will be up there with one of those future stars in a few years

Others from Penno... Kieran Jack, Ray Hall, Stefan Carey and you may remember Nick Potter on the swannies rookie list a few years ago, his brother jackson has a scholarship with the swans and is a gun as well. 16 atm

Ray Hall learnt his footy at Woy Woy Swans on the NSW Central Coast. He is not a Penno boy, despite what the club may have you believe.

Similarly the Mcveighs are Killarney Vale boys and Scott Reed (Collingwood Rookie) is from The Enterance

Oh and to answer the OP's question, the answer is Paul Kelly without a doubt

While Carey was born in NSW he went to high school at the heights school in adelaide - so he was not NSW bred.
If the op had of asked ACT/NSW I could say James Hird. But since we are only talking NSW I have to go with paul kelly as well.

While Carey was born in NSW he went to high school at the heights school in adelaide - so he was not NSW bred.
If the op had of asked ACT/NSW I could say James Hird. But since we are only talking NSW I have to go with paul kelly as well.

Man, I've been following AFL for the 25 years I have been on this Earth and I had no idea James Hird was born and bred in Canberra. Just when you think you know everything... this comes along.

I don't consider Carey a candidate because he was bred in Adelaide, yes. Also agree with Bedford's sentiments in regards to his personality.

It's actually very, very surprising for me to know that the ACT produced a better player than the whole of NSW. Unless someone can mention someone better than Hird.

I know I'm going to cop A LOT of abuse for this one, I love Paul Kelly as much as the next bloke, but if he's the best NSW has ever produced, I'm actually a little disappointed. Yes, he was a Brownlow medallist and a multiple best and fairest award winner, but he isn't regarded that highly among the greats of the game. Ask any neutral supporter and they will always say that Hird is better. Don't get me wrong, Kelly was originally my favourite player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he's born in NSW but he's not bred there ?

Ray Hall learnt his footy at Woy Woy Swans on the NSW Central Coast. He is not a Penno boy, despite what the club may have you believe.

Similarly the Mcveighs are Killarney Vale boys and Scott Reed (Collingwood Rookie) is from The Enterance

Oh and to answer the OP's question, the answer is Paul Kelly without a doubt

Umm your knowledge of junior footy is clearly limited
Mark McVeigh
http://www.bombersfc.com.au/players.../senior/season/2009/selected/bio/default.aspx
Recruited from: Pennant Hills/NSW-ACT U18

Jarrad McVeigh
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/playe.../senior/season/2009/selected/bio/default.aspx
Recruited from: Pennant Hills NSW/ACT U18

I even have the U11 best and fairest trophy which has their name on it as previous winners

Forgive for what i said about Ray Hall, I am mistaken. But Lenny Hayes is definitely a Penno boy.

Umm your knowledge of junior footy is clearly limited
Mark McVeigh
http://www.bombersfc.com.au/players.../senior/season/2009/selected/bio/default.aspx

Jarrad McVeigh
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/playe.../senior/season/2009/selected/bio/default.aspx

I even have the U11 best and fairest trophy which has their name on it as previous winners

Forgive for what i said about Ray Hall, I am mistaken. But Lenny Hayes is definitely a Penno boy.

Both the McVeigh's started at Kilarney Vale on the central coast.

J McVeigh actually played for the Sydney under 16's team in the Sydney under 18 competition for at least a season.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/mcveigh-my-dark-days/2009/08/07/1249350685999.html
Not even his teammates knew that he had been banished temporarily from Windy Hill, let alone turned up to train at his old junior club.
http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/mcveigh-my-dark-days/2009/08/07/1249350685999.html

I also thought your comments about Northern_Swan's knowledge being limited being a bit harsh, especially since you are wrong....

Both players did end up playing for Pennant Hills, but not before starting at Kilarney Vale.

Brownlow Medal winner Ivor Warne-Smith was born in Sydney
Jock McHale was born in Botany Bay
Haydn Bunton, Sr. was born and bred in Albury as was another Brownlow Medalist Dinny Ryan
Bill Mohr was from Wagga Wagga and Gordon Strang from Albury

Cheers Mase, wouldn't have posted it unless i was 100% Perhaps not as limited knowledge as some would seem!

When my club, Cardiff played Killarney Vale a few years back in the GF, the Mcveigh boys actually turned up for the game and watched with their dad which was quite a good thing to do I thought.

Back on topic, I think Wayne Carey would be considered a NSW boy for the purposes of this discussion.

It seems some of the slow learners at the back of class don't know the difference between 'bred' and 'breed'.

Now bred means grew up in a certain place, in the case of Mr.Carey did he grow up in NSW? No he didnt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best NSW born and bred player of all time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back