Best NSW born and bred player of all time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry.

I guess it really does depend on your definition of 'bred.'

According to most NRL supporters, someone is not NSW 'bred' unless they stay in that particular state until they start playing professional footy. Other people see 'bred' as something different. I should have specified my opinion more clearly.

The reason for my opinion, is that RL trolls on other boards in general reject the idea that someone is 'from NSW' if they:

A) Are not born in that state (Nick Davis was not born in NSW, therefore, is not from NSW).
B) Are not 'culturally' a New South Welshman if they moved out of the state at the age of nine.

Now, I think these definitions are unfair, but that's what you get when you discuss the codes with such closed minded RL fanatics. They're basically grasping at straws to prove that AFL 'will never produce good players from NSW or Qld.'

Still, I'm interested to see just how many AFL players are from NSW according to 'their' definition, but feel free to name players only 'associated' with NSW anyway!

I'm also interested to see if NSW could field a team of the century side worthy of competing with the Vics, SA's and WA's.

(Btw, I'm not having a go at NRL supporters in general or the game itself)

It seems some of the slow learners at the back of class don't know the difference between 'bred' and 'breed'.

Now bred means grew up in a certain place, in the case of Mr.Carey did he grow up in NSW? No he didnt.

"Bred" is the past tense and past participle of "breed". I "breed" dogs in NSW. I "bred" dogs in NSW ten years ago.

While "born and bred" does in fact mean "born and raised", that is somewhat of an oddity, as "bred" on its own does not mean raised.

I was merely, being in somewhat of a nerdy mood, implicitly drawing attention to that point. But it seems some of the slow learners at the back of the class didn't catch it.

I have always rated Paul Kelly 'as the best N.S.W born and bred' best player of all time.His hard nosed and professionalism personifies the Sydney die hard approach.
He was the captains captain, someone everyone wanted to play under. :thumbsu:

Umm your knowledge of junior footy is clearly limited
Mark McVeigh
Jarrad McVeigh

I even have the U11 best and fairest trophy which has their name on it as previous winners

Forgive for what i said about Ray Hall, I am mistaken. But Lenny Hayes is definitely a Penno boy.[/COLOR]

U11 trophy from where?

The McVeigh's played their junior football at Killarney Vale. The bar at the Club in Killarney Vale has a photo of Jarrad. No photo's of Mark though. I was at the Club on Biggest Morning Tea Saturday as my son was playing the KV Bombers. The KV Bomber have the best facilities in aussie rules on the Central Coast.

It is common for the better Central Coast boys to travel down to Pennant Hills to play. It is the closest geographical Club to the Central Coast Clubs. They get drafted to AFL from there.

So they were at KV before Pennant Hills.

Scott Reed is from Terrigal. He went/goes to Terrigal High School.

Ray Hall from Woy Woy Peninsular Swans.

It seems some of the slow learners at the back of class don't know the difference between 'bred' and 'breed'.
QUOTE]

Bred or inbred?

I would have thought in this thread, it would have meant that the player was:

1. Born in NSW; and

2. Played the majority of his junior football in NSW as well. It's where they were recruited from.

It is the second point that immediately knocks out Carey and Crawford.

2. Played the majority of his junior football in NSW as well. It's where they were recruited from.

It is the second point that immediately knocks out Carey and Crawford.

And Bunton Snr that would knock them out eventually anyway. Try telling anyone from Albury that it's not NSW.

Ray Hall from Woy Woy Peninsular Swans.

He managed to get games in all over the place, even played for my team once or twice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While Carey was born in NSW he went to high school at the heights school in adelaide - so he was not NSW bred.
If the op had of asked ACT/NSW I could say James Hird. But since we are only talking NSW I have to go with paul kelly as well.
Carey was so NSW he played state of orgin footy for South Australia in 1992 - don't get much more NSW then that.:cool:

Carey only moved to Adelaide at 16/17 to play with North Adelaide at junior level.

He also only played for SA in 1992 because of the old eligibility rules, which counted where your first official club registration was in one of the big three states (hence Dunstall was eligible for Victoria at the time despite being from Coorparoo, Qld).

Once the eligibility rules were changed in 1993 - the state you resided most between the ages of 10 and 17 - he was designated a NSWelshman.

Shane Crawford

Born in Mt. Barker, SA.

As I said b4 carey moved to SA when he was 12/13 and played all his footy there until he was picked up by the roos when he was 17/18 (fact).
State of orgin wise carey actually played for NSW in 1990, but in 1992 he played for SA - so if what you said about the criteria changing after 1993 was true carey would of played for SA in 90 and 92 but he didnt. Bottom line carey has strong link to both SA and NSW and both areas have claims to developing his footy skills - so I will leave it to others to deside if he is clearly NSW born and bred or not.

As I said b4 carey moved to SA when he was 12/13 and played all his footy there until he was picked up by the roos when he was 17/18 (fact).
State of orgin wise carey actually played for NSW in 1990, but in 1992 he played for SA - so if what you said about the criteria changing after 1993 was true carey would of played for SA in 90 and 92 but he didnt. Bottom line carey has strong link to both SA and NSW and both areas have claims to developing his footy skills - so I will leave it to others to deside if he is clearly NSW born and bred or not.

He is a born and bred Wagga boy.

dyertribe said:
Born in Mt. Barker, SA.

Again Crawford is a proud product of Finley, and spent 5 years of boarding school at the famous footy school, Assumption College, Kilmore, Vic.

scott reed- lived at forresters beach, pretty much terrigal, played for bateau bay blues till roughly u/16's then went to penno played the 18's and first grade...

mark and jazz mcveigh- killarney vale juniors both went to penno both boys have their picture in the club house, mark also won the b&f in the comp 2 years running in the 11's or 13's when he was 2 years younger then every one else. and mark does go train with the seniors there at least once a year which i think is a massive effort

ray hall definetly woy woy

craig bird will be a star from nelsons bay
and surely luffy would have to be up there also from nelsons bay

The criteria I described was true - it only applied to the major states (again, since Dunstall played for Vic before the 1993 change).

SA also didn't play SOO in 1990 as a result of the Port Adelaide rogue bid backlash.

Again Crawford is a proud product of Finley, and spent 5 years of boarding school at the famous footy school, Assumption College, Kilmore, Vic.

Sure is, but the thread says born and bred. Just pointing out Crawf doesn't satisfy the former component.

scott reed- lived at forresters beach, pretty much terrigal, played for bateau bay blues till roughly u/16's then went to penno played the 18's and first grade...

mark and jazz mcveigh- killarney vale juniors both went to penno both boys have their picture in the club house, mark also won the b&f in the comp 2 years running in the 11's or 13's when he was 2 years younger then every one else. and mark does go train with the seniors there at least once a year which i think is a massive effort

ray hall definetly woy woy

craig bird will be a star from nelsons bay
and surely luffy would have to be up there also from nelsons bay

Luffy didn't move to Nelson Bay until he was 17, otherwise spot on :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Best NSW born and bred player of all time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back