Best season by an individual you have seen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Hudson was a sensation especially in 1970 and 71. 146 and 150 goals respectively.

His career was cut shory but when you look at ti he is statistically the greatest FF of all

1967 was his 1st season and a 21 yo, kicked 57 goals then went

1968 125 goals
1969 120 goals
1970 146 goals
1971 150 goals

1972 8 goals (didan ACL in 2nd Q of 1st game of the season, had already kicked 8 )

1977 Came back to Hawks fo 1 season and kicked 100 after essentially five season out of VFL and 31 years of age. Might of topped the 100 10 x if not injured in 72

Freak

This.
Bloke was the best set shot for goal i`ve seen, used his body beautifully and a great reader of the play, was as tough as nails too even though he looked like a sook. I was there the day he equaled the record.

I started watching games each week in 1993 and to this day I still rate Ablett's efforts that year to be the best individual season by a player that I have watched.

Another season I rate quite highly (not number 2 but up there) is Crawford's 1999.

What is the best season by an individual that you have seen? What are some other individual's seasons that you rate very highly?
Graham Teasdale.

Another vote for Peter Hudson from an opposition supporter

Could have topped the hundred ten years in a row but for injury

Deadly accurate with the notoriously unreliable flat punt kick

Trivia - Hudson and Leigh Matthews kicked 200 goals between them in 1977 for Hawthorn

Unbelievably the Hawks failed to reach the GF that year

Stynes had a good year the year he won, Kouta had a mad year one year

Stynes was amazing his Brownlow year, but Kouta 2000 takes the cake for me. Have never seen anyone that dominant over a whole season.

Best way to describe it was like a mix of Adam Goodes, Chris Judd and Wayne Carey.

Kouta in 2000 was ridiculous. Carlton were just a good/average team that were getting carried by this man mountain. He was dominating everything, had he not been injured Carlton would've gone mighty close to winning the flag.

Bernie Quinlan had some amazing seasons with Fitzroy in the early 80's. He won the Brownlow in 1981, then the Coleman's in 1983-84. Considering Fitzroy were a mix of battlers and fading stars, his feats deserve a mention.

If Buddy had've kicked accurately in 2008, he could've gone close to the 150 goal mark. Let's not forget that despite kicking 113.88 for the season, he also recorded 59 other shots at goal that failed to score!! It was certainly his best season in the AFL.

Kouta in 2000 was ridiculous. Carlton were just a good/average team that were getting carried by this man mountain. He was dominating everything, had he not been injured Carlton would've gone mighty close to winning the flag.

Bernie Quinlan had some amazing seasons with Fitzroy in the early 80's. He won the Brownlow in 1981, then the Coleman's in 1983-84. Considering Fitzroy were a mix of battlers and fading stars, his feats deserve a mention.

If Buddy had've kicked accurately in 2008, he could've gone close to the 150 goal mark. Let's not forget that despite kicking 113.88 for the season, he also recorded 59 other shots at goal that failed to score!! It was certainly his best season in the AFL.
It's what makes Hudson so impressive. He had a year like Buddy's 2008 every year he played bar his 1st season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another vote for Peter Hudson from an opposition supporter

Could have topped the hundred ten years in a row but for injury

Deadly accurate with the notoriously unreliable flat punt kick

Trivia - Hudson and Leigh Matthews kicked 200 goals between them in 1977 for Hawthorn

Unbelievably the Hawks failed to reach the GF that year

I would have liked to have seen Hudson. But how do you have an accurate yet unreliable kick??

This.
Bloke was the best set shot for goal i`ve seen, used his body beautifully and a great reader of the play, was as tough as nails too even though he looked like a sook. I was there the day he equaled the record.

Exactly. Didn't need to use the hands for an advantage, just positioned his body to perfection. Yet another skill the contemporary footballer is not taught.

The flat punt kick was notoriously unreliable as a choice for kicking goals, for every player but Hudson.

The three gun FFs of the late 60s-early 70s period each favoured a different kick

Peter McKenna the drop-punt, Hudson the flat punt and Doug Wade the torpedo (occasionally the drop)

Sadly the flat punt, drop and torp have been largely lost to the game

Bernie was an absolute superstar in the early 80's. I'm glad others remember.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best season by an individual you have seen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back