Best Stadium?

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the Telstra Dome, it has all the moderrn comforts, and the atmosphere is just fantastic with the right crowd.
I've been to other events there, and its the same thing - comfortable enough so your energy is high, and yet still enough of a footy ground so you can make your noise.
The G will always be the home of footy, it is as iconic for Melburnians as the Eiffel Tower is for Parisians or the Colleseum is for the citizens of Rome.
I will not return to Kardinia Park if it will remain in pretty much its present state, having a glassed in and roofed room stand empty while small children stand in freezing wind and rain is enough to put me off going there.
Atmospherically, Princes Park and Vic Park were titans of terror for the opposition, but I only experienced Vic Park in tour mode, and there is hardly peals of victory bells ringing from the Optus Oval now, so I can't really comment there. Princes Park is fine, I'm sure, unless you barrack for someone other than Carlton, where you are rewarded by being forced to sit at what feels like 5 meters less than ground level, above a stinking baked potato van.
Moorabbin, The Junction Oval, the Lakeside Oval and Glenferrie I've all been to, but not for AFL games. All are the same, though, dinosaurs of a past era that I can barely imagine hosting games with my new century mind at old century stadiums.

The MCG isn't as good as it once was, but with the rebuilding going on its going to take over once again as the best stadium in this country.

Telstra Stadium is a great venue and when we played Brisbane in the Prelim Final, once we got on a roll in the third quarter the noise was unlike anything I have heard before. The SCG however was a disappointment when I showed up.

Footy Park is a great stadium, good viewing ground and with the bucket seats its going to be even better. What makes Footy Park so good is the BBQ in the Car Parks before the match.

Optus Oval is a ****hole, but the last 2 years when the Swans have played there we have had great days out and both times our fans made the ground seem like a home ground, such was the quietness of the Carlton fans.

The Dome is a great venue

MCG at night.

Telstra Dome when full and roof shut.

Skilled Stadium when Geelong's winning... and with the re-development it will be even better! :D

MCG or Telstra Dome can't really decide see the MCG for traditional Footy but the Telstra Dome for more modern facilities and the roars, heart stopping moments ect...

I love Jess Sinclair #9

The SCG is $#!^house! The seats, the people (let's not get into that shall we) but worst of all was the food. First my meat pie was still cold so I sent it back to be heated. I got it back and it was STILL COLD. So I threw it out and ordered a Hot Dog. Guess what, THAT WAS COLD TOO! I threw that out. My brother had a pie that was reletively warm. He missed the last half of the match cos guess what, he was throwing up. Food Poisoning!

The best ground is the Gabba. But then again, I'm in the trust!

Originally posted by maccas_no1
Thats only when Adelaide play;)
Not so!
Football Park half full with Port supporters make more noise and show more colour than it being full when the crows are playing.
How many times have I heard KG and co have a go at the crows crowd for being so quiet. And remember when the video scoreboard had all the sets of hands trying to get crow supporters to clap and cheer, they are a joke
Even your own supporters flood the radio stations saying that most of you would be better off at the golf or the movies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can't beat the MCG for atmosphere. The viewing in most of the Southern Stand is pretty good.

Of the new grounds IMO the GABBA is the best. Great viewing from just about anywhere. For us smokers there's the added benefit of not having to walk down three levels if on the top level (not sure this'll last).

Docklands is crap. The access to and from the ground is ****-poor. Better than when first opened, but still not up to scratch. No grass to kick footy's which ****es off the kids. I think you expect this when going to the footy in Melb. Like most of the new stadiums, the viewing is good if not propped on a light tower.

Footy Park is also a top stadium. They learnt from the f/u's of the VFL building Waverly and is a great stadium. The best thing the SANFL ever done.

Both Perth grounds are the same in terms of viewing. Get a good seat and it's great. Get a bad one and it's shocking. For this reason Freo games are more comfortable.

Originally posted by JeffDunne

Both Perth grounds are the same in terms of viewing. Get a good seat and it's great. Get a bad one and it's shocking.

Both Perth grounds? What's the other one? If you're referring to the WACA, it was the biggest dump ever built.

My 2c on Subiaco: reasonably well designed ground, although the bonehead that was in charge of building the southern stand should be strung up by the balls. The best position to watch a game, and they build a stand where there are the lowest number of seats! And that 2nd level is a joke, it's just corporate boxes. It might have been nice if they extended the roof out a bit more on the whole ground as well to provide some shelter from the rain for the lower level seats. I've never been to Football Park, but from the looks of it the designers never took rain into account when building it, 90% of the seats are in the open. Which seems strange, as every 2nd game I see from Adelaide it's p*ssing down.

Originally posted by la47
I'd agree with this actually, MCG night games are awesome

I remember being at the ground in the 1997 Friday (or Saturday I forget) night match between Brisbane and North Melbourne. Fireworks were their and they were pretty cool. Although it wasn't a big fireworks display but it lifted the atmosphere a whole lot!

Originally posted by Rob
I've never been to Football Park, but from the looks of it the designers never took rain into account when building it, 90% of the seats are in the open. Which seems strange, as every 2nd game I see from Adelaide it's p*ssing down.
People in Adelaide think it only rains in Melbourne. ;)

Have only been to the WACA once and that was from the members. Looked ok from there.

i'll admit im commenting from limited experience here (as the only major grounds i've been to are footy park and subiaco)....so most of my opinions will be of what i've seen on tv

MCG when full has an awsome atmosphere..eg bris Vs coll

i really like footy park and it will be better with the bucket seats.. it is great in the new stand...great atmosphere at showdowns

i enjoyed subiaco behind the goals in the 3 tier stand

im assuming it is different when your there but i found on tv, the SCG and GABBA lack atmosphere. the SCG is hardly ever full, and imo the GABBA needs to increase its capacity from 37000 to 50000.

not sure on optus and skilled stadium...it will be good to see skilled upgraded imo...optus just needs big crowds

Telstra Dome by a mile. I've almost forgotten what the G is like the Dogs get to play there so rarely now.

Skilled Stadium is truly awful if you don't have a seat. The opposition supporters are corralled deep in a couple of pockets and well back from the boundary. Really not good enough.

Well I'm guessing the major stadiums are all pretty good and your memories are going to be the thing that puts one above the other.
100+ visits to Adelaide's Footy Park/AAMI Stadium have left me with many more good than bad memories, and the pre match BBQs etc are a good feature with day games.
In Melbourne I've been to Waverley (once), the MCG and Telstra Dome. The Dome is superb, both to watch at and to get to. The MCG is of course something special but you need a decent crowd to feel the magic.
In the end the MCG because it is both a fabulous stadium and the holy grail.

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
...& like you have credibility on SA venues! :rolleyes:

Next you will be telling us Adelaide Oval is the worst cricket ground in the world...:rolleyes:
Same old story Kane, you know how it is. In the eyes of those inbreds east of Bordertown, the world ends at Kaniva, Albury and Port Phillip Heads. I think it's called myopia.

Originally posted by Fullarton Power
Same old story Kane, you know how it is. In the eyes of those inbreds east of Bordertown, the world ends at Kaniva, Albury and Port Phillip Heads. I think it's called myopia.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all live in the fishbowl known as Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Stadium?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back