Best Stadium?

Remove this Banner Ad

Last crows game I went to was when swans won by 49 and I can't say they were much better... Telstra Stadium sh1ts allover footypark.

Originally posted by Shrapnel
The only port home game i've been to..qualifying final this year....woah were port loud...swans supporters were outnumbered 100/1 and were making more noise...

I was at the game myself and was sitting (per normal) with the Cheer Squad and despite being out numbered (I would say there was just on 1000 Swans fans in the ground) we made ourselves heard. Having said that the Port fans themselves weren't quiet and did make their fair share of noise, but I guess witnessing what they did in the 2nd term, you couldn't blame them for being quiet. In the first term and late in the match they blew us away with their noise. One thing Port fans have that many clubs don't is a real passion for their club.

Look that was my first visit to Footy Park (not a bad game to pick to go to) and everything about the day was good. The BBQ with the powerfromport guys, the weather, the game and the venue wasn't half bad. It is showing its age a bit, but its still got plenty of room and the view from behind the goal in the front row was as good as any ground I've been to.

Originally posted by kirky
The "G' is a great ground but you have the audacity to call AAMI cold. Have you ever been there? Oh and what about when its 10C in Melbourne on a Saturday arvo (this rarely if ever occurs in Adelaide) - the wind blows right thru you.

Expensive food - it may well be in Adelaide but for gods sake the "G" ain't no "Cheap as Chips". Blinkers are definitely on!!!!

Each of the following have their points for and against

MCG, Telstra Dome and AAMI.

Me thinks its just another Vic who hasn't crossed the border.

You seem to be the idiot, i live in Adelaide!

MCG by a country mile, the reason is how many players from another state say that their favourite ground is Footy Park or any other stadium in Australia, whereas you hear most players say it's the G.

Originally posted by The Iron Sock
I Love Adelaide Oval So Much I Wish They Could Play AFL There

I agree it's a shame they cannot play at Adelaide Oval because AAMI is the pits - very unpleasant ground to watch football if you're a Victorian - the queues for food and drink are appalling.

I love the MCG - love my reserved seat in M15, but hate going to Telstra.

I used to love going to the Whitten Oval

Originally posted by Demonheart
MCG by a country mile, the reason is how many players from another state say that their favourite ground is Footy Park or any other stadium in Australia, whereas you hear most players say it's the G.

I'm sure that the MCG would be the best to play at because it's the biggest. But players don't have to:
a) feel comfortable in the seats
b) buy the food
c) try and stay out of the rain, and
d) watch the game in general comfort.

I think 'best stadium' was from a spectators point of view, not the players. And the middle of the ground probably isn't the best place to judge spectator comfort.

Originally posted by riccardo
I believe so, why? Is this specially kept for Ford bigwigs or something - commoners not allowed to be dry and take the load off thier feet, are they?
My personal experience of this place is negative, I don't hold tickets on myself or anything, but I do believe a $10 entry should entitle me to a seat and some protection from the elements. I'm sorry if you find that unreasonable. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

For 10 bucks? What year do you think this is, 1982?

You should travel over to Subiaco some time. 10 bucks will get you precisely d*ck, except possibly a few people at the ticket window laughing at you when you put $10 on the table and tell them to give you a ticket.

There is no contest, the Gabba wins hands down. Not only does it look highly impressive (even Sourav Ganguly thought so) but it holds in the atmosphere, being so confined. Even the seats high up in the stands are great view-wise. There is ample standing room on the wings, and the walk to food and drink outlets is the shortest in the league. Often you just walk straight up and get served.

The only downer is the Gabba Trust's enforcement of 1m flag limits. Hence the place looks very sterile as a result.

For security, Football Park hands down. But I still think the Gabba is by far the best stadium in Australia.

JF

Originally posted by Paralowiepower
Not so!
Football Park half full with Port supporters make more noise and show more colour than it being full when the crows are playing.
How many times have I heard KG and co have a go at the crows crowd for being so quiet. And remember when the video scoreboard had all the sets of hands trying to get crow supporters to clap and cheer, they are a joke
Even your own supporters flood the radio stations saying that most of you would be better off at the golf or the movies.

Not so fast Shane,
Sure it was raining when we played you in July but the sheer weight of numbers, especially in the new stand, makes the atmosphere far better than at a Port match. At Port matches that stand remains 50% empty, hence there is no chanting coming out of it.

Still the Crows fans up in the stand only started chanting because us Swans were getting our lot going and were stirring them into action themselves.

But you are right, the Port supporters in the qualifying final were awesome, even getting chants going around the ground at 3/4 time. Port seem to have the most flags around the ground of all the clubs. The outer wing is normally a sea of blue when they score.

Sydney, well what do you expect. When we are winning, the atmosphere cannot be beaten anywhere (Brisbane final). But when we start losing the crowd not only goes deathly silent, but often just gets up and leaves. Very most of the "sing when you're winning" mould I'm afraid.

Still the Brisbane semi during the third quarter was the loudest I've heard a AFL crowd anywhere. When Schneids kicks a goal you can even see the camera shudder a bit because of the rumbling of the ground.

I'm warming to Stadium Australia. But there must be 50000+ to get an atmosphere.

JF

Originally posted by luthor
I'm convinced it's a no-neck's plot to make the atmosphere at the Gabba on the TV appear non-existant.

In real life, the crowd is fully into it and the atmosphere electric.

On the box, it often sounds as though there are two spectators kicking an empty tin can to each other.

Beats me how for years, the tellie broadcasts have failed abysmally to pick up any skerick of the true naure of the crowd involvement at the Gabba:(

I agree mate. I bought a tape of the Lions-Swans classic from 2003. The crowd was going off everywhere. There is even a dude up in the grandstand on the half forward line getting the chants going up there.Yet on the tv you couldn't here anything.

There were thousands of Swans fans up at the match. Yet when we kicked a goal it sounded like the old days in WA where you'd hear a couple of claps and that's all.

Maybe the TV channels need to think about where they put their sound mikes. I was at a game back in 2001 where everyone in the grandstands was belting out the "Bris-bane!!!" chant. And nobody left because it was raining. I was suitably impressed.

Seriously though, I notice a huge difference in the culture between Melbourne and interstate crowds. In Victoria it seem that only the cheer squads get up and get the chants going after goals, with most people just yelling out individual comments or heckling the umpires. At Swans away matches against both Richmond and Collingwood it took until the 3/4 quarter for both sets of fans to start chanting in unison.

In other states, especially in the northern states where cheer squads are less established and smaller, chants are started by everyone around the ground. Has anyone else noticed this?

JF

Originally posted by JF_Bay_22_SCG
......... Yet when we kicked a goal it sounded like the old days in WA where you'd hear a couple of claps and that's all.
Maybe the TV channels need to think about where they put their sound mikes.......
I reckon it may be deliberate as some of the comments and chants are not for the delicate. Yes a lot of atmosphere is lost, but Ethel of Burnside watching the Crows won't choke on the cucumber sandwiches as the opposition give it to Carey.
When Port beat Collingwood at AAMI Stadium during the 2003 Home and Away season many of us there got up a chant of 'Eddie's a *anker' (sorry Collingwood fans, it was juvenile but enormous fun at the time). I was very disappointed to play the tape of the game and realise Channel 9 had sanitised the sound for transmission.
The other thing is when you do drag your average TV watching supporter to a live game they invariably comment favourably on the atmosphere and the chance to barrack. Which is good, because frankly it is cheaper and often more comfortable to watch the game on the box.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AAMI is crap. You're either freezing or getting sunburnt, your arse is falling asleep, crap atmosphere, food is, honestly, crap.

Best ground that isn't used is Adelaide Oval. Good viewing no matter where you are, aside from the seats near the picket fences, it's covered ... and the scoreboard is old school.

And remember when the video scoreboard had all the sets of hands trying to get crow supporters to clap and cheer, they are a joke.

Wow, you're a fool. Showdown, Port's home game, Port scores their first goal, and what's on the screen? "POWER", flashing five times.

Originally posted by GoalsFrom50Out
AAMI is crap. You're either freezing or getting sunburnt, your arse is falling asleep, crap atmosphere, food is, honestly, crap.

Best ground that isn't used is Adelaide Oval. Good viewing no matter where you are, aside from the seats near the picket fences, it's covered ... and the scoreboard is old school.
Try going there for an AFL game, not an SANFL game ;)

Never been there, but I like square goalposts and "discs" in the middle of the centre square.;)

I do. AAMI is crap for SANFL and AFL. Sooner it's knocked down the better.
What rubbish, I have been to most sporting venues around Australia, and Im not going to say its the best, but to say it should be knocked down :rolleyes:
As for Adelaide Oval, I love Adelaide Oval, but unfortunately it is not fit for AFL football, stick to the SANFL.

Originally posted by Paralowiepower
What rubbish, I have been to most sporting venues around Australia, and Im not going to say its the best, but to say it should be knocked down :rolleyes:

It's crap. Terrible ground that was obviously designed by an idiot. What the hell kind of ground has no cover aside from a Member's Stand a newly built stand? Horrid planning.

As for Adelaide Oval, I love Adelaide Oval, but unfortunately it is not fit for AFL football, stick to the SANFL.

Meh. I'd rather Adelaide Oval over the dump in West Lakes.

The top deck of the MCG Southern Stand is garbage, as was the same deck of the Northern Stand.

Other than the old South Melbourne Ground, closely followed by the Junction Oval, the best place I've ever seen footy is at the Docklands Stadium. I refuse to call it by its sponsor's name, whomever it may be this season.

At Docklands, you are part of the action and the roof actually contains the noise if there is a half-way good game on. Every seat is the best in the house.

Outside of Melbourne, I spent a season watching at Subiaco, but it's a different ground to the one I visited 30 years ago. Then, it was O.K.

Have also been to Manuka Oval, and wasn't particularly impressed.

Bellerive Oval could be a great footy ground, if the state government had the foresight to spend some money on it, though I've never seen a game there.

I haven't been to Adelaide or Brisbane to watch footy. I value my tyres too much to visit Adelaide, but I'm definitely going to see a game at the Gabba before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

Originally posted by Rob
For 10 bucks? What year do you think this is, 1982?

You should travel over to Subiaco some time. 10 bucks will get you precisely d*ck, except possibly a few people at the ticket window laughing at you when you put $10 on the table and tell them to give you a ticket.

I am a student, and it is $10 concession. If I remember correctly, my brothers ticket was about $16. It costs me less to get into the G or Dome on my card, and it is only a buck less than to get into the movies.
I'm living in the new millenim, but going to Kardinia is like travelling back to 1982, only with less reasonable prices.

Originally posted by masai
Both Perth grounds, that would be Subiaco and .................... ?
I think we covered this in earlier posts, wacker ;)

Sorry, but it wasn't that long ago. I'll ensure better acurracy in future.

I really don't think there is a worst ground nowadays (well not since they got rid of the suburban hellholes like Vic. Park, Moorabbin etc.) The few times I have ventured to the drab city I have enjoyed both the MCG, Optus Oval and even Waverley (why did they knock it down?).

The MCG is the best ground in Aust. by a mile. The food was awful tho.
Optus was ok but very cramped on the Optus stand side.
I enjoyed Waverley, cause you could always get a good seat in the middle of the ground. Shame about the wind.

Looking forward to Telstra Dome this year.

AAMI is a great ground especially now the benches are out. The scoreboard is great and yes the Port crowd is definately louder than the Crows supporters who all just sit there like stunned mullets and whinge (unless of course they are 10 goals up).

MCG by a mile, and many many miles once the new stand is completed. People talk of the "outdated" facilities at the G, but all the stands will be less than 15 years old by the time the new one is finished. :confused:

In terms of atmosphere MCG still beats Docklands easily for mine.

The MCG has atmosphere if there isn't a single person in it - there are few grounds (and no others in Australia) I can say that for. It's a special place.

Docklands is tolerable, but still has a feeling of a McStadium to me. Getting out is a pain (that walkway is a joke of a design). As someone else said, some of the design flaws are absolutely appalling for a "world best" stadium. Things like the sun coming in, seats with limited view, no general admin seats on Level 1 etc.

Princes Park is OK if you get in, but the actual getting there and buying a ticket is a nightmare. Kardinia Park is sadly heading the same way for the away fan.

York Park is a nice day out but lacks atmosphere big time. Partly due to the theatre goers in the crowd and partly due to the open terraces (which has been fixed).

Football Park is simply budget Waverley.

Gabba is very good, parking probably the only real problem.

SCG has good atmosphere but any stadium that refuses to let people stand ("This is Sydney, not Melbourne") is not a real footy ground in my eyes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Stadium?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back