Best team not to win the flag in the last 25 years?

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast 1993.

Really they were the best team in the league for four years running. How they allowed two vastly inferior sides to play off in the GF ahead of them that year is one of those Twilight Zone type mysteries.

West Coast 1993.

Really they were the best team in the league for four years running. How they allowed two vastly inferior sides to play off in the GF ahead of them that year is one of those Twilight Zone type mysteries.

Are you serious? West Coast scraped through to the Finals on % and Essendon beat them 2 out of 3 times that year.

Are you serious? West Coast scraped through to the Finals on % and Essendon beat them 2 out of 3 times that year.

Yes, I'm serious.

Talking more broadly about who the best team in the league was throughout that time as opposed to that season in particular, which was a very even one with the joint top sides only winning 13 matches (Carlton missed the finals the previous season with 14 wins).

Obviously not making the GF indicates that they lost to teams above them, but the thread is about what really should have happened, not what did.

The events of the years before and after '93 would indicate that this was one that got away for them - big time.

LOL collingwood supporters claiming 2011 the best team not wot in it the last 25 years.
they were the worst 2 loss team in that time and were never going to win it with geelong there, not to mention they scraped into that granny and should have gone down to the hawks.

although I really enjoyed Geelong loosing that 2008 granny they were the best team of that year by a long long way.

Yes, I'm serious.

Talking more broadly about who the best team in the league was throughout that time as opposed to that season in particular, which was a very even one with the joint top sides only winning 13 matches (Carlton missed the finals the previous season with 14 wins).

Obviously not making the GF indicates that they lost to teams above them, but the thread is about what really should have happened, not what did.

The events of the years before and after '93 would indicate that this was one that got away for them - big time.

Very hard to win back to back and they couldn't do it, they obviously were the best team over that 4 or 5 year period but not sure you can say thats ''one that got away'' for them, if they had made the GF or even the Prelim and lost a close one then maybe but finishing 6th and bowing out in the second week hardly constitutes ''one that got away'' in my opinion.

Whilst Collingwood in 2011 were a brilliant side, the one thing that holds them lower than '08 Geelong and '09 St. Kilda in my eyes is that they had a clear bogey side and that bogey side was their main contender. In '08 Geelong lost one game up to the Grand Final and it was a proven abberation. St. Kilda, likewise, lost one or two meaningless matches while accounting for all other true competitors throughout the season.

LOL collingwood supporters claiming 2011 the best team not wot in it the last 25 years.
they were the worst 2 loss team in that time and were never going to win it with geelong there, not to mention they scraped into that granny and should have gone down to the hawks.

although I really enjoyed Geelong loosing that 2008 granny they were the best team of that year by a long long way.

Umm, did you see how dominant the Pies were during the H&A season that year? It's not like the losses to Geelong were big ones either, and the Pies had pumped them by 16 goals in the Prelim in 2010 as well, so it's not like they held any clear dominance over Collingwood at the time.

Umm, did you see how dominant the Pies were during the H&A season that year? It's not like the losses to Geelong were big ones either, and the Pies had pumped them by 16 goals in the Prelim in 2010 as well, so it's not like they held any clear dominance over Collingwood at the time.
I agree that Collingwood in 2011 were an unbelievable side prior to Round 24, but let's not get carried away. Collingwood won the 2010 Prelim by seven goals, not 16.

Essendon were very lucky in 1993 considering Geelong got them in the last game they played and considering how the side was worked out and formed considering it was illegally done.

Pretty sure the last game Essendon played that year was this one

Attachments

• upload_2014-6-12_10-59-32.jpeg
    upload_2014-6-12_10-59-32.jpeg
    11.8 KB · Views: 10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very hard to win back to back and they couldn't do it, they obviously were the best team over that 4 or 5 year period but not sure you can say thats ''one that got away'' for them, if they had made the GF or even the Prelim and lost a close one then maybe but finishing 6th and bowing out in the second week hardly constitutes ''one that got away'' in my opinion.

Every team listed failed to win the flag or we wouldn't be talking about them. Whether that failure came in the GF, preliminary final or semi is irrelevant. At some point they failed to do what they should have.

North of 1997 could be spoken about in the same breath.

Every team listed failed to win the flag or we wouldn't be talking about them. Whether that failure came in the GF, preliminary final or semi is irrelevant. At some point they failed to do what they should have.

North of 1997 could be spoken about in the same breath.

I just cant agree with you sorry, West Coast were never going to win it in 93, 92 and 94 are pretty much irrelevant, just as Geelong were never going to win it in 2010 but won it in 09 and 11.

Says the collingwood supporter, and still didnt get your facts straight

I just cant agree with you sorry, West Coast were never going to win it in 93, 92 and 94 are pretty much irrelevant, just as Geelong were never going to win it in 2010 but won it in 09 and 11.

Geelong were well beaten by a better team in 2010, a team that continued that dominance the following season. It wasn't a one-off shock. Geelong's 2011 flag was all the more meritorious due to the fact that they were on the slide and Collingwood on the up.

You'll never convince me that Carlton or Essendon of '93 were better than the Eagles. WCE were at their zenith and failed to fully capitalise on their talents (this isn't a new concept, many agree that two flags with that list was not enough). A wasted year by any definition.

Geelong were well beaten by a better team in 2010, a team that continued that dominance the following season. It wasn't a one-off shock. Geelong's 2011 flag was all the more meritorious due to the fact that they were on the slide and Collingwood on the up.

You'll never convince me that Carlton or Essendon of '93 were better than the Eagles. WCE were at their zenith and failed to fully capitalise on their talents (this isn't a new concept, many agree that two flags with that list was not enough). A wasted year by any definition.

I still can't agree, for the year 1993 Essendon had there measure and Carlton also beat them over in the West.

I still can't agree, for the year 1993 Essendon had there measure and Carlton also beat them over in the West.

I think we just have a very different idea of the meaning of the thread.

If WCE had lost to Essendon in the prelim instead of the semi (in the same manner that Adelaide did), you'd probably agree with me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best team not to win the flag in the last 25 years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back