Best thing to come out of the Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

It was only Goldspink's feeble attempt to deflect the attention back onto himself. The game was becoming so interesting, they weren't even noticing the umpiring.

One thing I would like the club to take note of was Darren Jolly's poor performance in the GF. If we get into a GF in future, we cannot afford to play anyone who isn't 100% focussed on the job that needs to be done.

Whether we agree with a player missing a GF because his wife was in labour is a separate issue. The facts remain, here was a player seriously thinking of not playing in the match because his attention was elsewhere.

Even when he arrived in Melbourne on Friday, all he wanted to talk to the media about was the birth, it was almost as though it hadn't even occured to him he was about to play in the biggest game of his career.

After watching today's game I am totally convinced you need 22 players totally committed to the task at hand or you will get beaten. Just something for us to remember, and a lesson as to what level we need to achieve to be successful.

Adelaide Hawk said:
It was only Goldspink's feeble attempt to deflect the attention back onto himself. The game was becoming so interesting, they weren't even noticing the umpiring.

One thing I would like the club to take note of was Darren Jolly's poor performance in the GF. If we get into a GF in future, we cannot afford to play anyone who isn't 100% focussed on the job that needs to be done.

Whether we agree with a player missing a GF because his wife was in labour is a separate issue. The facts remain, here was a player seriously thinking of not playing in the match because his attention was elsewhere.

Even when he arrived in Melbourne on Friday, all he wanted to talk to the media about was the birth, it was almost as though it hadn't even occured to him he was about to play in the biggest game of his career.

After watching today's game I am totally convinced you need 22 players totally committed to the task at hand or you will get beaten. Just something for us to remember, and a lesson as to what level we need to achieve to be successful.

I did wonder if Jolly would have sad, or beenallowed to say the same thing last year (the first shot at a flag) - Perhaps it shows a slight lack of Hunger

Look at Goldstink's dial, it's got that are the cameras on me expression. Maybe I'm mistaken, rather it could be, hopefully: "I'm getting too old for this game, I'd better give it away, I'll announce my retirement after the game". :).

Whilst on the GF I have a thought for Stevie Armstrong.

I admire young Steven tremendously. Being delisted last year by Melbourne, after playing 43 games for the club, would be traumatic for any aspiring footballer.

The fact no other club came in for Steve, and he was forced to retreat back to the Eagles’ rookie list in a bid to reignite his career would be, in any other situation, a potentially shattering blow.

But the fact Armstrong has battled back from a lot worse — namely serious injuries suffered in the 2002 Bali bombings — makes his story one of the more remarkable of the AFL season.

After being elevated from the Eagles’ rookie list in June, Armstrong broke into the senior side in round 13 against the Bulldogs.

Enjoy your part in an AFL premiership team Steven. You are a fine and courageous young man.

Gary.

002ArmstrongStevenMelbreturningfrom.jpg

Funny, but not the best thing. The best thing was that that game was undoubtedly the best advertisement for our awesome sport that you could possibly get. Showed yet again that Footy leaves everything else in the cold.....

Mr. Goldspink imposed himself on the game with two dubious 50's and one unnecessary free kick in the first ten minutes. There was absolutely no need for sudden heightened enforcement early in yesterday's game, yet Umpire Goldspink felt the need to do it.

It may be true that Goldspink is one of the more able umpires when it comes to siezing control - but he goes too far too often. Equally, I agree with the AFL that it's OK for umpires to show a bit of character, and that it can be good for umpires to impose the law - but only when necessary.

While his best may be very, very good (and I think it is), he influences too many passages of play - and too many games - for no good reason whatsoever. It's not about the umpires, and it shouldn't be. When Umpire Goldspink asserts control unnecessarily he diverts energy from the game to himself.

The fact that the AFL umpiring department thinks that Goldspink's judgment is better than other umpires (hence his place in the GF) is a matter of serious concern for those interested in the health of the game.

Roddy said:
Funny, but not the best thing. The best thing was that that game was undoubtedly the best advertisement for our awesome sport that you could possibly get. Showed yet again that Footy leaves everything else in the cold.....
Is it just me ?
I want to see more goals and more mongrel
The Eagles had 2 players with dodgy shoulders who where not driven into the ground to test them out.Brisbane,Hawks and Bombers would have done this in previous Grand Finals and the result may have changed.

Gary Shadforth said:
Whilst on the GF I have a thought for Stevie Armstrong.

I admire young Steven tremendously. Being delisted last year by Melbourne, after playing 43 games for the club, would be traumatic for any aspiring footballer.

The fact no other club came in for Steve, and he was forced to retreat back to the Eagles’ rookie list in a bid to reignite his career would be, in any other situation, a potentially shattering blow.

But the fact Armstrong has battled back from a lot worse — namely serious injuries suffered in the 2002 Bali bombings — makes his story one of the more remarkable of the AFL season.

After being elevated from the Eagles’ rookie list in June, Armstrong broke into the senior side in round 13 against the Bulldogs.

Enjoy your part in an AFL premiership team Steven. You are a fine and courageous young man.

Gary.
Great post, Gary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

philhawk said:
You know, i've always wondered.

If Goldspink looked like this, would we still hate him so?

Yes even more, phil. Mrs Goldstink obviously barracks for Collingwood :) .

No one better couldve fallen over, was hoping he wouldve gone down again. The other great thing was Sydney getting towelled up in the ruck showing their need for a mature tap ruckman.

Hawk Dork said:
The Eagles had 2 players with dodgy shoulders who where not driven into the ground to test them out.Brisbane,Hawks and Bombers would have done this in previous Grand Finals and the result may have changed.
Could not agree more. When Judd was nursing that shoulder I couldn't believe no-one tested it out.

This guy would've done it:

luke_hodge.jpg

So would this guy:

campbell_brown.jpg

But this guy would've enjoyed it the most:

jordan_lewis.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Best thing to come out of the Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back