Streaming Better Call Saul - ** Contains Spoliers! **

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Binged the whole show over the past month and a bit.

Fantastic show, with so many good characters. A slow burn but consistent high quality.

Rhea take a bow, loved you as Kim Wexler. Not a happy ever after finish but at least you didn't die! That ending shot at the prison was a sad 'what could have been' moment.

Loved Nacho's storyline, how he went out on his own terms and kept his dad safe.

Luco was a great character, felt like his ending was slightly anti-climatic. But when he went to Jimmy's apartment that last time... jeesus!

Mike stole the show so many times where as I thought it took Jimmy abit to warm up after a strong few episodes at the very beginning. By the end though every scene with Jimmy was gold, getting caught in a garbage bin, how the mighty had fallen. Glad he looked after Kim in the end.

I've also just binged the entire show over the last few months. I'd have to say Howard's death hit me harder than any screen death since Wallace in The Wire. I was still thinking about it days later.

In fact I'm feeling a general sense of melancholy after finishing the show, which is a sign of how well crafted it was and how much of an imprint it left on me.

I'm one of the rare people who watched this without watching BB first so that will be next on my agenda. I've watched the first season before and have a general idea of how things turn out, but I'll have to go back and watch from S2 onwards now.

I've also just binged the entire show over the last few months. I'd have to say Howard's death hit me harder than any screen death since Wallace in The Wire. I was still thinking about it days later.

In fact I'm feeling a general sense of melancholy after finishing the show, which is a sign of how well crafted it was and how much of an imprint it left on me.

I'm one of the rare people who watched this without watching BB first so that will be next on my agenda. I've watched the first season before and have a general idea of how things turn out, but I'll have to go back and watch from S2 onwards now.
I've often wondered how it would be for someone that instead watched them in the story's chronological order instead of when they were made. There's loads of great and clever little bits wound in referencing to future events that you wouldn't have got without seeing BB first.

The attention to detail they went in linking the 2 was pretty amazing.

So I've started watching BB and the first thing I notice is that Saul now wears a collar bar with his tie like Howard used to.

He never wore that in BCS did he?

Edit:

euyc1agcj9051.jpg

Last edited:

Do you know which characters from BSC are in BB?

And if so, do you know what happens to them in the end?

Do you know which characters from BSC are in BB?

And if so, do you know what happens to them in the end?

I have a fair idea for most of them yep (roughly speaking, not details though). Probably won't be as impactful if I was going in blind but I'm still enjoying it so far.

I have a fair idea for most of them yep (roughly speaking, not details though). Probably won't be as impactful if I was going in blind but I'm still enjoying it so far.

If you got shaken by the demise of Howard….alert…alert…you are in for a very rough ride with BB and I am not talking about the likely types.

Rewatching BB.

Watching Mike, particularly with Lydia, and he's ice cold. A big change from BCS.

Wondering if the comments from Nacho's father helped Mike to realise that he is a gangster and nothing else.

Rewatching BB has made BCS more impressive. Raising these types of questions about a series that was already finished.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I've finished binging Breaking Bad now.

Although BB held my attention more consistently (BCS had moments in eps where my attention would wander a bit, especially in the earlier seasons) I'd have to say I think BCS is overall the better show.

Even though they're both set in the same physical environment, it's somehow much more vibrant and poignant in BCS. In BB the environment was just... there, but in BCS it really felt like it played a big part in the character and mood of the show.

And speaking of characters, they're generally far more interesting and engaging in BCS. Other than Saul, the only two I really vibed with in BB were Gus and Mike, who are both obviously also in BCS anyway. And no death in BB hit me anywhere near as hard as Howard in BCS. The way they built up to him being an innocent victim of a senseless murder was superb.

Most of all, when I finished BB I just sat back and thought 'yeah that was pretty cool', but when I finished BCS I had this poignant sense of longing that I was leaving a world I'd become very invested in behind. Not many shows make me feel like that.

I'm on to the Sopranos now, since it seems to regularly be brought up by people on here who seem to have good taste in tv. Figured I better finally watch it before it ages out too much.

I've seen a shitload of shows, hundreds. Howard's death is up there for impact, but no death of a tv character has ever hit me more than
Gordon Clark
. Particularly when they are cleaning out his house after he died. So emotional, couldn't sleep. Depressingly brilliant.

I'm on to the Sopranos now, since it seems to regularly be brought up by people on here who seem to have good taste in tv. Figured I better finally watch it before it ages out too much.
Not to over hype it, but it's the best show I've seen, and easily the show that I've re-watched start to finish more than any other.

When you get through it, check out some of the Talking Sopranos eps on YouTube, there are some crackers there with the other actors.

So I've finished binging Breaking Bad now.

Although BB held my attention more consistently (BCS had moments in eps where my attention would wander a bit, especially in the earlier seasons) I'd have to say I think BCS is overall the better show.

Even though they're both set in the same physical environment, it's somehow much more vibrant and poignant in BCS. In BB the environment was just... there, but in BCS it really felt like it played a big part in the character and mood of the show.

And speaking of characters, they're generally far more interesting and engaging in BCS. Other than Saul, the only two I really vibed with in BB were Gus and Mike, who are both obviously also in BCS anyway. And no death in BB hit me anywhere near as hard as Howard in BCS. The way they built up to him being an innocent victim of a senseless murder was superb.

Most of all, when I finished BB I just sat back and thought 'yeah that was pretty cool', but when I finished BCS I had this poignant sense of longing that I was leaving a world I'd become very invested in behind. Not many shows make me feel like that.

Something I wanted to ask you earlier, but didn't want to spoil; did you know what happened to the likes of Mike, and lesser extent Gus and Hank, before watching BB?

Given that Mike in particular just vanished from the last few episodes of BCS with the time jump, I had wondered how that would've looked to someone that hadn't seen BB.

Something I wanted to ask you earlier, but didn't want to spoil; did you know what happened to the likes of Mike, and lesser extent Gus and Hank, before watching BB?

Given that Mike in particular just vanished from the last few episodes of BCS with the time jump, I had wondered how that would've looked to someone that hadn't seen BB.

I pretty much knew, minus any specific details.

I was coming in to this thread after each ep of BCS to simulate the shared experience of watching it live, so I had a fair guess at what happened to Mike by reading between the lines of some comments on here.

Maree gave away that Hank died when she was speaking to Saul in one of the final eps of BCS, and I'd seen that famous gif of half-face Gus years ago.

Actually there's probably a fair argument that my rating of BB would have been higher if I'd gone in not knowing any of that in advance. Probably diluted the impact of some of the key moments a bit.

I pretty much knew, minus any specific details.

I was coming in to this thread after each ep of BCS to simulate the shared experience of watching it live, so I had a fair guess at what happened to Mike by reading between the lines of some comments on here.

Maree gave away that Hank died when she was speaking to Saul in one of the final eps of BCS, and I'd seen that famous gif of half-face Gus years ago.

Actually there's probably a fair argument that my rating of BB would have been higher if I'd gone in not knowing any of that in advance. Probably diluted the impact of some of the key moments a bit.
So you would finally fully get this now hahaha.

stophelping.png

Last edited:
Howards death was certainly unexpected and hit hard, but sometimes you just don't expect a show to proceed with a death like Hanks. When I first saw that, I think it was even before I'd watched GoT and gotten used to the notion that important characters could actually be killed (lol).. Hanks death hit very hard.

Having watched both series "live" week to week at the time, this is a really good point.

Waiting weekly to watch those Season 5 episodes of Breaking Bad was unbearable and significantly added to the anticipation.

Knowing that Gus and Hank die already would also lessen the impact of their arcs.

Both series' phenomenal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Streaming Better Call Saul - ** Contains Spoliers! **

Remove this Banner Ad

Back