Big Fish ?...Hawthorn trade news and targets thread(not for trade hypotheticals)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
its happening

AFL trades: Rory Sloane, Tom Lynch, Luke Dahlhaus top 2018 free agency pool

JAY CLARK, Herald Sun

October 9, 2017 11:58am

RORY Sloane has the chance to make a stand for his footy club.

For all the contract issues bubbling along, the big decision facing Adelaide’s ultra-courageous ball-winner right now is the most intriguing in the game.

Out of contract at the end of next year, the tough midfielder headlines a bumper 2018 free agency pool along with Gold Coast spearhead Tom Lynch and West Coast running machine Andrew Gaff.

Lynch already has clubs queuing up out the door for him and could attract the biggest offer in the game’s history to return home to Victoria.

The goalkicker desperately wants to help revive the Suns’ fortunes, but if they can’t get their act together under new coach Stuart Dew, it will be adios amigo.

Western Bulldogs’ free agents Luke Dahlhaus and Tom Liberatore won’t be in a rush to sign new deals either after down years, like many of their teammates at the kennel, in 2017.

But Sloane, 27, Lynch, 25, and Gaff, 25, are the big money men.

And unlike Patrick Dangerfield’s situation two years ago, perhaps the biggest worry for Adelaide is that Sloane is an unrestricted free agent.

It means Adelaide won’t be able to match any deals from rival clubs. The Eastern Ranges product can go straight to wherever he wants, including back home to Victoria, without the argy bargy of a trade.

The Crows would be desperate for Sloane to recommit for the long term and stop the rot after a series of gun player departures.

MOST WANTED: TOP 10 2018 FREE AGENCY TARGETS

1. Tom Lynch (GC)

Hawthorn, Richmond and Collingwood lead the chase. Big job for Stuart Dew to lift Suns off the canvas.

2. Rory Sloane (Adel)
Ultra-courageous (Victorian) midfielder faces a big decision. Adelaide has to act now.

3. Andrew Gaff (WC)
Has long been linked to a move home to Victoria. Elite wingman would be cream on the cake at a number of clubs.

4. Marc Murphy (Carl)
Embedded at the Blues, we expect the skipper to re-sign. But compensation pick could be early first-round if he did leave.

5. Jeremy McGovern (WC)
Should stay in the west but Fremantle could make a play after missing out on his brother, Mitch.

6. Luke Dahlhaus (WB)
The midfield-forward wasn’t at his best in 2017 and will try and re-establish his contract value early next year.

7. Tom Liberatore (WB)
Like Dahlhaus, Liberatore’s status as an elite midfielder was challenged this season. Dogs want to see elite standards.

8. Ben Reid (Coll)
Don’t see him leaving after regaining full faith in his body. Pies light on for key position players as it is.

9. Tom McDonald (Mel)
Took his time re-signing last year and is still a key pillar for the Dees. Can play anywhere these days.

10. Shaun Atley (NM)
The Roos will have to be creative and open-minded as they try and rebuild the list as quickly as possible. Atley has speed.

OUTSIDE TOP 10

Alex Fasolo (Coll), Cameron Guthrie (Geel), Dylan Grimes (Rich), Jordan Roughead (WB)

Continued at .... http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...l/news-story/6e236084ae257e2d0779138b68f00623

Any chance we could get him this year....what would it take?

GC won't be playing finals next year so he'd be itching to leave now and would if he could you'd think.

Early prediction: Most of those players will re-sign during the year, their managers will stall as long as possible despite knowing their player has no intention of leaving, purely to make clubs sweat & force their offers up.

Adelaide should give Sloane the captaincy to ensure he stays, it worked for Fyfe. Tex is a pathetic leader as we saw in the GF. Lynch will probably leave if GC has another bad season although the AFL will just as likely pay him outside the cap to stay. McGovern if coaxed to leave would be an superb acquisition for a number of clubs, shame we aren't in Premiership contention or he could be Brian Lake MKII.

AFL trades: Rory Sloane, Tom Lynch, Luke Dahlhaus top 2018 free agency pool

JAY CLARK, Herald Sun

October 9, 2017 11:58am

RORY Sloane has the chance to make a stand for his footy club.

For all the contract issues bubbling along, the big decision facing Adelaide’s ultra-courageous ball-winner right now is the most intriguing in the game.

Out of contract at the end of next year, the tough midfielder headlines a bumper 2018 free agency pool along with Gold Coast spearhead Tom Lynch and West Coast running machine Andrew Gaff.

Lynch already has clubs queuing up out the door for him and could attract the biggest offer in the game’s history to return home to Victoria.

The goalkicker desperately wants to help revive the Suns’ fortunes, but if they can’t get their act together under new coach Stuart Dew, it will be adios amigo.

Western Bulldogs’ free agents Luke Dahlhaus and Tom Liberatore won’t be in a rush to sign new deals either after down years, like many of their teammates at the kennel, in 2017.

But Sloane, 27, Lynch, 25, and Gaff, 25, are the big money men.

And unlike Patrick Dangerfield’s situation two years ago, perhaps the biggest worry for Adelaide is that Sloane is an unrestricted free agent.

It means Adelaide won’t be able to match any deals from rival clubs. The Eastern Ranges product can go straight to wherever he wants, including back home to Victoria, without the argy bargy of a trade.

The Crows would be desperate for Sloane to recommit for the long term and stop the rot after a series of gun player departures.

MOST WANTED: TOP 10 2018 FREE AGENCY TARGETS

1. Tom Lynch (GC)

Hawthorn, Richmond and Collingwood lead the chase. Big job for Stuart Dew to lift Suns off the canvas.

2. Rory Sloane (Adel)
Ultra-courageous (Victorian) midfielder faces a big decision. Adelaide has to act now.

3. Andrew Gaff (WC)
Has long been linked to a move home to Victoria. Elite wingman would be cream on the cake at a number of clubs.

4. Marc Murphy (Carl)
Embedded at the Blues, we expect the skipper to re-sign. But compensation pick could be early first-round if he did leave.

5. Jeremy McGovern (WC)
Should stay in the west but Fremantle could make a play after missing out on his brother, Mitch.

6. Luke Dahlhaus (WB)
The midfield-forward wasn’t at his best in 2017 and will try and re-establish his contract value early next year.

7. Tom Liberatore (WB)
Like Dahlhaus, Liberatore’s status as an elite midfielder was challenged this season. Dogs want to see elite standards.

8. Ben Reid (Coll)
Don’t see him leaving after regaining full faith in his body. Pies light on for key position players as it is.

9. Tom McDonald (Mel)
Took his time re-signing last year and is still a key pillar for the Dees. Can play anywhere these days.

10. Shaun Atley (NM)
The Roos will have to be creative and open-minded as they try and rebuild the list as quickly as possible. Atley has speed.

OUTSIDE TOP 10

Alex Fasolo (Coll), Cameron Guthrie (Geel), Dylan Grimes (Rich), Jordan Roughead (WB)

Continued at .... http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...l/news-story/6e236084ae257e2d0779138b68f00623
Thanks champ.

I also initially thought that Impey's stats looked pretty poor until I realised that they were very similar to those of the Hawks back-pocket in Blake Hardwick. And I'd certainly give up pick 32 for Dimma.
While I'm still not sold on Impey's output, he is the perfect age and his speed would be welcomed sight for the brown and gold.
Pick 32 would not bother me. But as you say, a first rounder is ridiculous.
We're comparing two very different players who played completely different roles in this example. Hardwick a small defensive type who is a very good user of the pill and Impey who played as a high half forward flank type this season and has average disposal. As I mentioned, stats don't tell the full story but Port fans don't rate him very highly and he has not produced enough to justify is giving pick 32. Pick 42 and a swap of later picks might be a fairer trade.

Rioli might be a closer like for like comparison based on the type of player and role played but even then on current output Impey is a long way behind. Him being contracted and us being the one chasing has seriously inflated the expectation of value. Kennedy from the Giants is an earlier draft pick (taken at 13) yet somehow this value is only a second rounder despite only being in the system two years and showing year on year improvement. Give me a spell.

This is getting weird man. Did Cyril cut you off in traffic or something??
He is the only player I can think of with serious trade value. When the question is asked what would it take to get Lynch I'm struggling to see how we would do it otherwise

I'm actually more interested in keeping Cyril and getting Schache

Either way I deleted my post because I am in the wrong thread!!

Last edited:
Thanks for taking Impey off our hands. Kid is one of those frustrating players with talent and pace but no consistency at this stage. Hopefully a move to Hawthorn will bring more consistency to his game.
We took Impey at pick #21 so if the deal eventuates getting a second rounder for him is fair enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank you for saying this! People getting so excited for Schache when he's showed absolutely nothing at the top level, has motivation issues and question marks on his ticker being where it needs to in order to carve out a career as a key forward.

I would love it if he joined us and made me eat those words with a desert of humble pie - but we need to deal with the reality of his predicament at the Lions - not how promising he was 2 years ago.

Schache is 20 years old and came into the AFL with universal 'big wraps'. Homesick and still young equals cheaper contract and equal potential to Lynch imo. Toss in a professional environment and who knows. Recruiting Schache gives us what we need and manouvering room in the future.

Thanks for taking Impey off our hands. Kid is one of those frustrating players with talent and pace but no consistency at this stage. Hopefully a move to Hawthorn will bring more consistency to his game.
We took Impey at pick #21 so if the deal eventuates getting a second rounder for him is fair enough.

I don't think our board is littered with excitment, but hopefully it proves to be a shrewed trade

Hope Impey gets done quickly. Allows both clubs to move on and asess the rest of trade period.
Yeah. There seems little point in stretching things out on minor issues. Mind you, we would have thought what we offered for O'Meara initially was fair, but we didn't count on Cockbrain being such a cockbrain.

Anderson - pick 15
Impey - 2nd rounder (at this stage somewhere around 30)

Anderson - potential
Impey - potential and more exposure at the elite level

Impey is an upgrade of hartung

I don't think they're the same player so he's not an upgrade.

I think a future second is fine if we back ourselves in to improve next year, could end up being 32 or thereabouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back