Big Footy Book Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Fallen behind a bit here.

Set in Melbourne, essentially two sisters find out they have a half brother and look to connect with him. But things aren't what they seem and the connection could tear the family apart. It was an easy read.

3.5/5

Screenshot 2024-08-21 at 7.39.14 pm.png

Oh man, this was a real slog. 512 pages. The blurb hooked me in - It's Christmas, and half the Partickhill police squad is down with flu. Not good timing, with a series of cyanide poisonings in the area, plus two small boys reported missing in the space of a few days. And then there's the monumental task of providing concert security for rock legend Rogan O'Neill... But for Detective Inspector Colin Anderson, the nightmare is about to get terrifyingly close to home. For a third boy has now gone missing - Colin's own son, Peter. The team race to find the boys before it is too late.

300 pages in before the bloody boy went missing and the author just wrote slabs and slabs of words that were so overly descriptive that I reckon would have added 100 + pages to the book. Some of the characters were likable which was a plus and the once the boy went missing, that part of the book was enjoyable. But I'd not recommend it. And Glasgow at Christmas time seems utterly depressing. The author made it sound like it was the most miserable ****ing place on Earth.

3/5

Screenshot 2024-08-21 at 7.41.08 pm.png

Thoroughly enjoyed this. One of my favourite books I've read this year. Engaging, suspenseful, well written, a great mystery with lots of twists that I personally didn't see coming. Highly recommend.

5/5.

Screenshot 2024-08-21 at 7.46.53 pm.png

Two Lives by Vikram Seth (A Suitable Boy). As a young student, in 1969 VS goes to England and stays with his uncle who is of course Indian, and his uncle’s Jewish German wife. Much later, he interviews his uncle before the end of his life, and also gains access to his late aunt’s correspondence, from which he builds a picture of her life. Fascinating.

300 pages in before the bloody boy went missing and the author just wrote slabs and slabs of words that were so overly descriptive that I reckon would have added 100 + pages to the book.
I really hate this and it’s usually very obvious when a book has been padded to reach a certain size 😟

One of the best, and one of my favourite books I've read this year.

Never read anything by Candice Fox before, but I'll definitely be reading more of her stuff, I found this hard to put down a lot of the time.

It's about a family whose daugther went missing - beleived drowned - and the case has gone cold. So, they take matters into their own hands and take hostages in an FBI lab and threaten to destroy evidence in cases that only has one DNA sample linked to it.

It's freakin' fantastic.

5/5

View attachment 2051898

This is about the #metoo scandal. It's pretty ****ed up what people got away with, and the journalistic investigation that was done to get to the bottom of things is commendable.

It's very good, but messed up, but also worth the read

4/5.

View attachment 2051899
It's worth comparing with Ronan Farrow's Catch and Kill.

Ronan Farrow wrote the second major story about Weinstein, and tells a similar tale about a similar investigation in a very different way.

Fascinating insight into how the system is built to keep these sorts of things under wraps.

1726117693513.png

Read 'The Gates of Fire' earlier this year, which has segued nicely into 'The End of Sparta' which is set ~70 years later

1726117758281.png

Both recommended if you enjoy historical fiction. Likewise if you prefer more character driven rather than events 'A Song of Achilles' is a brilliant read.

Remove this Banner Ad

Big Footy Book Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back