BigAnt Studios to develop AFL Live 3 - Petition

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone talking about how AFL Live 1 was so much better and it should be made because it will sell more are forgetting the other side of the equation. What is the cost.

If AFL Live 2 cost an eighth of what AFL Live 1 did, and they sold half as many games as AFL Live 1 did then your profit margin is going to look a hell of a lot better. even with selling half as many games. Anyone saying True Blue should ignore this has no idea about business.

Not only does that mean they have to use fake names/likeness and call it "Aussie Rules" instead of AFL. But it also means that they are going to in the progress piss off their biggest (only current?) publisher by releasing a competitor to one of their licenses.

Yeh ok , but, they aren't even making the AFL games now anyway, so what other option do they have except crowd funding, Tru Blu decided not to use their best developers.

Big Ant Studios has made a better effort then wicked witch, I have Both AFL live and AFL live 2 I liked AFL Live 1 better because of graphics

It is my belief that AFL Live 1 is one of the best sports games of the modern era. The gameplay is brilliant and the more you play it the more depth you unravel as you increase your skill level it just becomes so fun to play...

I still am excited and enjoy playing it five years later...

It may not have as good a graphics or cut scenes as NBA 2k games but the gameplay is super dooper incredible.

the gameplay is super dooper incredible.

Unless you're in a marking contest or a contest in which the opposition, despite being more than an in-game metre than you, will somehow win the marking contest or have you pinned for holding the ball.

It's the AFL game equivalent of getting a penalty against you in FIFA by Mehmet Yildiraz/Yildaraz

It is my belief that AFL Live 1 is one of the best sports games of the modern era. The gameplay is brilliant and the more you play it the more depth you unravel as you increase your skill level it just becomes so fun to play...

I still am excited and enjoy playing it five years later...

It may not have as good a graphics or cut scenes as NBA 2k games but the gameplay is super dooper incredible.

what? there's terrible input lag, rotten physics, several glitches, AI is practically non existent apart from spoiling which means as long as you can kick on the run your unbeatable even on the highest setting. and it has a very very small number of limited animations. its a great AFL game, arguably one of the best. but it cannot compete with any AAA sports title of the last 5 years.

Last edited:
what? there's terrible input lag, rotten physics, several glitches, AI is practically non existent apart from spoiling which means as long as you can kick on the run your unbeatable even on the highest setting. and it has a very very small number of limited animations. its a great AFL game, arguably one of the best. but it cannot compete with any AAA sports title of the last 5 years.

He definitely has the rose-tinted glasses on.

It was an average game offline. A very fun game online if you had a good opponent, although the fact that you didn't get a win if the opponent quit in the first three quarters, which was frequent, was infuriating.

Oh, and the pre-patch exploit where you could stand so close with the man on the mark that every set shot was smothered.

I had more fun with AFL Live 1 online than most other sport video games. Much more fun than with NBA 2k. Does that make AFL a better game? Not even close, it simply reflects that I like footy a lot more than basketball.

Everyone talking about how AFL Live 1 was so much better and it should be made because it will sell more are forgetting the other side of the equation. What is the cost.

If AFL Live 2 cost an eighth of what AFL Live 1 did, and they sold half as many games as AFL Live 1 did then your profit margin is going to look a hell of a lot better. even with selling half as many games. Anyone saying True Blue should ignore this has no idea about business.

Not only does that mean they have to use fake names/likeness and call it "Aussie Rules" instead of AFL. But it also means that they are going to in the progress piss off their biggest (only current?) publisher by releasing a competitor to one of their licenses.

I think it's obvious that BA was (rightfully) charging more than WW.

Although as a business decision one should have looked at not just AFL Live 2 cost per sales but the series as a whole and developing it. From that point of view, the extra cost on BA probably would have been justified, even if the full rewards were not seen in AFL 2 but perhaps 3 or 4...

He definitely has the rose-tinted glasses on.

although the fact that you didn't get a win if the opponent quit in the first three quarters, which was frequent, was infuriating.

Not sure how much you played online then as this was changed early on as well. Pretty sure once 19 points were scored then you were awarded a victory for a quit. (Think there was also some randomness for other cases as well eg how long game had gone for if it was less than 19pts - memory is a little hazy on that one though)

Not sure how much you played online then as this was changed early on as well. Pretty sure once 19 points were scored then you were awarded a victory for a quit. (Think there was also some randomness for other cases as well eg how long game had gone for if it was less than 19pts - memory is a little hazy on that one though)

I played online lots *cough #2 ranked on xbox live cough* and from day dot. It took a long time to implement a D/C win connection like you say. it was definitely a < 3 qrts = no win condition for a while.

The worst was when you played 5 minutes and were smashing soemone. They'd then put down the controller, only to come back with a minute left in the third and quit.

I played online lots *cough #2 ranked on xbox live cough* and from day dot. It took a long time to implement a D/C win connection like you say. it was definitely a < 3 qrts = no win condition for a while.

The worst was when you played 5 minutes and were smashing soemone. They'd then put down the controller, only to come back with a minute left in the third and quit.

It looks like both our memory's are a bit scratchy - the adjustment to the quitters rule came in the first patch! (went back and read some of the old threads)

It looks like both our memory's are a bit scratchy - the adjustment to the quitters rule came in the first patch! (went back and read some of the old threads)

Yeah but how long did that patch take to come out? at least a month I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RLL3 is out if you want to see what a Big Ant AFL Live could have looked like :)
1497.gif

Rugby League Live 3 is actually a really good game. Started playing today. Starting to learn a bit about rugby and the gameplay and graphics too are very nice.

Even just practicing kicks in drills is lots of fun...

Recommend it for AFL Live fans to check out most definitely, considering modern day AFL contests are very similar to rugby style..

I found having AFL Live skills helped with RLL3 gameplay..

And you're supporting Big Ant and Tru Blu.

Last edited:
Can I just say that the player creation tool that you guys have created for both RLL3 and for DBC is the best player/character whatever creation tool that i've ever used in any game ever. It's certainly streets ahead of any other sports game that i've played. It's really only limited by the user's ability to manipulate it.

Really the ONLY thing that the creation suite is missing is the ability to upload custom logos. The layer system isn't perfect but it's very, very good.

I'm really enjoying RLL3, and i'm not even a league fan really. It makes me a little sad that you guys weren't able to develop another AFL game.

It's sad but it's the reality of the AFL market at the moment. You need to weigh up cost of development against potential sales ..

I'd be surprised if AFL Live 3 is a next gen console release. That seems a big jump for WW..

Probably another iOS release..

Have to wait and see..

If the AFL put more budget into gaming then who knows eh..

It's jist ze way it iz for the moment ..

Could a non licensed game be done? Would the afl be able to complain about a video game where 44 players kick an oval ball through sticks?

The issue here is that TruBlu are the publisher for Big Ant, and also for the AFL Live series. I doubt TruBlu would be happy with Big Ant attempting a release that is in direct competition with their AFL Live series. There is also the matter of licensing, which i'm not sure Big Ant could get without Tru Blu support.

Unfortunately Big Ant isn't a big enough company to be able to afford to piss off their publisher. The Australian market isn't big enough.

I hope i'm wrong.

The issue here is that TruBlu are the publisher for Big Ant, and also for the AFL Live series. I doubt TruBlu would be happy with Big Ant attempting a release that is in direct competition with their AFL Live series. There is also the matter of licensing, which i'm not sure Big Ant could get without Tru Blu support.

Unfortunately Big Ant isn't a big enough company to be able to afford to piss off their publisher. The Australian market isn't big enough.

I hope i'm wrong.

I don't know why they let Big Ant do everything but AFL

Ross if you're reading how much light can you shed on the decision to award you RLL and DBC but cut you from AFL live 2 and then seemingly do nothing with the series after

I hope i'm wrong.
I know it's now how business works but it shouldn't matter if Big Ant release one. Tru Blu have made their bed and chose to lie in it with Wicked Witch (who proceeded to shit the bed but that's another story). If Big Ant released an unlicensed version and it outsold Wicked Witch's, Tru Blu shouldn't have any reason to be upset. That's on them. "Oh you don't like our version outselling yours? Then give us the license back."

Could a non licensed game be done? Would the afl be able to complain about a video game where 44 players kick an oval ball through sticks?

I hope i'm wrong.

Can I just say that the player creation tool that you guys have created for both RLL3 and for DBC is the best player/character whatever creation tool that i've ever used in any game ever. It's certainly streets ahead of any other sports game that i've played. It's really only limited by the user's ability to manipulate it.

Really the ONLY thing that the creation suite is missing is the ability to upload custom logos. The layer system isn't perfect but it's very, very good.

I'm really enjoying RLL3, and i'm not even a league fan really. It makes me a little sad that you guys weren't able to develop another AFL game.

I think this is an issue regarding inappropriate images, although for Bradman on PC you can mod it.

Remove this Banner Ad

BigAnt Studios to develop AFL Live 3 - Petition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back