Games & Recreation BigFooty Death List Game 2024 - May Deaths Be Forever In Your Favour (Host @ClarkeM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lex Mariinos 75 Actor Radio Presenter

Mostly famous for portraying Bruno the racially vilified Italian son in law to Ted Bullpit on Kingswood Country

Also a presenter on Triple J

Different times

I thought he was Greek in the show but it says different

Like American actress Shannen Doherty - who also passed away from a long battle with cancer this year - Lex Marinos's best known character Bruno from Kingswood Country did not entirely depart when he left the show, but rather became an unseen character. Bruno was said to be outside, in the next room, on the other end of the phone or other characters would say they had just spoken with him, but the character did not appear in person in the show's final series. That images of Bruno remained in the opening credits for the last season of Kingswood Country helped add to the illusion that he had never truly left.

Shannen Doherty left BH 90210 in 1994 and never returned, but while her character Brenda Walsh was never seen again in person, she also never left entirely and became an unseen character - just out of sight, on the other end of a phone call, other characters talking about her but she never appeared on camera.

This trope - a seen character becoming an unseen character - is very rarely seen. Some of the few other examples I could think off-hand are Sophie the drama queen younger sister from UK sitcom 'The Worst Week of My Life'; Young Mr. Grace from 'Are You Being Served', the youngest son from US Sitcom 'Step By Step' and to a lesser extent Michelle from the Fuller House spin-off from Full House, where the Olsen twins declined to resurrect the character years later.

Like American actress Shannen Doherty - who also passed away from a long battle with cancer this year - Lex Marinos's best known character Bruno from Kingswood Country did not entirely depart when he left the show, but rather became an unseen character. Bruno was said to be outside, in the next room, on the other end of the phone or other characters would say they had just spoken with him, but the character did not appear in person in the show's final series. That images of Bruno remained in the opening credits for the last season of Kingswood Country helped add to the illusion that he had never truly left.

Shannen Doherty left BH 90210 in 1994 and never returned, but while her character Brenda Walsh was never seen again in person, she also never left entirely and became an unseen character - just out of sight, on the other end of a phone call, other characters talking about her but she never appeared on camera.

This trope - a seen character becoming an unseen character - is very rarely seen. Some of the few other examples I could think off-hand are Sophie the drama queen younger sister from UK sitcom 'The Worst Week of My Life'; Young Mr. Grace from 'Are You Being Served', the youngest son from US Sitcom 'Step By Step' and to a lesser extent Michelle from the Fuller House spin-off from Full House, where the Olsen twins declined to resurrect the character years later.
Beverley Macker on The Royle Family is oft discussed but never seen.

Chuck went back to his planet.

In the case of Chuck Cunningham from Happy Days and other examples like Judy Winslow from Family Matters or Sarah Spooner from the King of Queens, these characters vanished as though they never existed in the first place, never seen or mentioned again nor any explanation for their departures. Some characters are unseen characters like Maris from Frasier and are never once seen, while other unseen characters like Hyacinth's third sister Violet from Keeping Up Appearances finally did make an appearance in person. Other character obviously depart TV shows with an explanation and on some occasions may make a return guest appearance, be referenced by other characters and others are not referenced again.

The ones I mentioned though are the rarest types - characters whose actors had departed the show - but they remained as unseen characters. Like in Step By Step from back in the 1990s, the youngest son who was always slightly superfluous in the large cast was seen less and less in the mid 1990s, and not at all in the final two series with the actor removed from the credits. But the character was not truly gone - he wasn't given a writing out scene such as him departing for London to be foreign exchange student in England for example, nor was he gone without further explanation and never mentioned again like Judy from Family Matters. He clearly was still living in the house, going to school and the other characters mentioned him, it was just that he was not seen on-screen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to imagine a club Aston Villa winning the European Cup although Birmingham City being in the third division these days must be some compensation for them.

Hard to imagine a club Aston Villa winning the European Cup although Birmingham City being in the third division these days must be some compensation for them.

It's not on the same tier as the European Cup/Champions League, but West Ham winning the Europa League a couple of years ago was pretty impressive

It's not on the same tier as the European Cup/Champions League, but West Ham winning the Europa League a couple of years ago was pretty impressive
First trophy in 43 years, I even allowed a little water to leak from my eyes.

Bandwagoned after the 1980 Cup Final hoping for more of the same.

I feel your pain, I followed Leeds one yeat after they won the last English Division One Championship title (Gary McAllister was my first boyhood football hero) and well to say we haven't had much success in terms of silverware is an under statement.

Still cannot ever imagine supporting any one else, for better or worse, I have Leeds blood running through my veins.

Kind of chuffed Will Ferrell is a fan and a minority stake owner now, he was at Elland Rd last Saturday for our game against Burnley (which we lost ;( )

I feel your pain, I followed Leeds one yeat after they won the last English Division One Championship title (Gary McAllister was my first boyhood football hero) and well to say we haven't had much success in terms of silverware is an under statement.

Still cannot ever imagine supporting any one else, for better or worse, I have Leeds blood running through my veins.

Kind of chuffed Will Ferrell is a fan and a minority stake owner now, he was at Elland Rd last Saturday for our game against Burnley (which we lost ;( )
They should have been a massive club. Everything was going right for Leeds at the turn of the century, both the city and the club were flying, then Woodgate/Bowyer, Turkey and some financial decisions that would make Skase look savvy and it totally went to shit and never recovered.

They should have been a massive club. Everything was going right for Leeds at the turn of the century, both the city and the club were flying, then Woodgate/Bowyer, Turkey and some financial decisions that would make Skase look savvy and it totally went to shit and never recovered.

Gary Speed's death hit me hard at the time (and still does)
That crook Ken Bates (I will always have a special hate for Chelsea cause of him) very nearly killed the club.

Remember going to the Charles Dickens Tavern and bawling my eyes out after we lost the League One (old Division 3) play off final to bloody Doncaster Rovers (of all teams) that was my lowest moment as a Leeds fan (along with Speedo's death)

I get both really annoyed and both amused when I read comments from supporters of Giants like Man United or Arsenal saying they are long suffering cause they haven't won silverware/the Premier League in a while.

The couple of magical years/seasons we had under Bielsa were incredible .

Remove this Banner Ad

Games & Recreation BigFooty Death List Game 2024 - May Deaths Be Forever In Your Favour (Host @ClarkeM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back