• 7 - SEVEN

• 8 - EIGHT

• 9 - NINE

• 10 - TEN

• No change.

• Other.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

The biggest gripe I have with the logo is that it doesn't really say to an onlooker that we are a 150 year old club. .......
2. Why are people so deseparate to get 1870 into the logo that it becomes the focal point, it's like this massive insecurity. Essendon, the Hawks, even Geelong a club older than us doesn't have an establishment date in the logo. Does it matter? No. If it suits the logo, chuck a small est 1870 in there, but make it small and not the focal point. 1870 shouldn't be the only thing that defines us. ........
Melbourne FC, established 1858.

It's so obvious from their logo :rolleyes:

Melbournefc.svg.png

Where is the macaroni option?

Good post.

My key points would be similar to your points I quoted, and I'd also say:

1. Why are people so hell bent on distancing ourselves from the 'Power' nickname? We are the Power in the AFL, it's a good nickname, it should stay and should feature in our logo. Hell I dont even know why we need to distance ourselves from our traditional logo of a fist and lightning. I'm sure people could come up with some insanely good logos, rather than these ordinary ones by including a modernised lightning bolt in the design. The concept we'd just chuck a lighthouse, or a black diamond in, etc is silly to me personally, they dont represent the Power or PAFC.

2. Why are people so deseparate to get 1870 into the logo that it becomes the focal point, it's like this massive insecurity. Essendon, the Hawks, even Geelong a club older than us doesn't have an establishment date in the logo. Does it matter? No. If it suits the logo, chuck a small est 1870 in there, but make it small and not the focal point. 1870 shouldn't be the only thing that defines us.

3. I agree the PA monogram is perfect for merch, that's where it should be left.

Agree with your 1870 sentiment.

It meant a lot to be at the forefront before we got one club through, but now the fact that we're the eternal Port Adelaide Football Club is a reality embraced by everyone bar the usual dickhead subset and clueless interstaters who are innocently mistaken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the eternal Port Adelaide Football Club is a reality embraced by everyone bar clueless interstaters who are innocently mistaken.
Shouldn't we be doing all we can to attract people to our brand? If they think we are a club established in 1997 etc etc it makes us uncompetitive brand wise.

Shouldn't we be doing all we can to attract people to our brand? If they think we are a club established in 1997 etc etc it makes us uncompetitive brand wise.

Winning games and premierships will do more to "attract people to our brand" than any logo, catch phrase, establishment date or mascot/nickname. As a relatively new supporter of this awesome club I couldn't care less about when a brand was established so long as it delivers a quality product at a reasonable price.

Winning games and premierships will do more to "attract people to our brand" than any logo, catch phrase, establishment date or mascot/nickname. As a relatively new supporter of this awesome club I couldn't care less about when a brand was established so long as it delivers a quality product at a reasonable price.
Sadly we can only win a premiership on average every 20 or so years. Our club and brand must attract people even when we are not winning premierships.

Last edited:
Our club and brand must attract people even when we are not winning premierships.

Funnily enough, this is a good argument for our current logo.
It's only not appealing to those who link too much to the past.

Here's my 2¢

1. There's nothing inherently wrong with our current logo. It is distinct, presents our nickname and the lightening bolt in a semi-symmetrical design that incorporates our colours with a subtle nod to our most famous guernsey. It reproduces well in various production methods and works at small and large sizes. It's also now 25 years old, so it has — contrary to the opinion of some here — stood the test of time.

2. The main angst towards it is that it doesn't include reference to Port Adelaide. Considering we refer to Port Adelaide almost everywhere else this is a non-issue. (We are Port Adelaide, Port Adelaide football™, PA monogram, etc)

3. Adding in arbitrary iconography like the lighthouse, black diamonds, flags etc at this stage would be counter productive and create unnecessary confusion with our brand identity. Like it or not, we are the Power in the AFL. This is unlikely to change anytime soon. (IMO, nor should it)

4. The One Club configuration with the Power and Magpies logos together is a perfect reflection of what this club is and where it came from. It reinforces what the overwhelming majority of our supporters know to be true; one club, two teams.

5. The options presented — and I say this with all due respect to the respective creators — are amateur attempts at designing something that covers off on a set of arbitrary criteria. (eg: needs to be a crest/circle/shield, must include 1870, must combine chevrons with prison bars etc) Who is to say that these criteria are needed? What research informed their inclusion in the design brief?

6. The PA monogram (#1) is the best of the lot but is best suited to merchandise aimed at a particular subset of our supporter base. As good as it is, not everyone gels with it, which is why it shouldn't be 'elevated' to a corporate logo.

7. With the combination of our best guernseys (Prison Bar, BiB, White BiB, Black with white/teal wings), our mascot, OneClub, PA Monogram merchandise, and the NTUA Scarves, PTV intros, etc, we're one of the better branded clubs in the AFL. You don't have to look too far to see clubs that are far less cohesive in their visual identity.

/thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

BigFooty Port Adelaide logos 2

Back