walkers a legend

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2007
wa south of the river
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
aus cricket, Lakers, w.a
this came to me when i read glen quartermans article in the west Australian his top 10 rivalries go.

1 western derby
2 state of origin
3 Adelaide v port Adelaide
4 collingwood v essendon
5 collingwood v carlton
6 holden v ford
7 east fremantle v south fremantle
8 port adelaide v norwood
9 manly v west suburbs
10 Melbourne's ethnic soccer rivalries

surely this is wrong how can the derby come at number 1 instead of the ashes, anzac day clash, collingwood v carlton, and many others. what are your thoughts on the best rivalries ?

How can the Western Derby be a bigger rivarly then the Showdown?

Showdown splits a state, and runs back all the way to SANFL. where as the Derby is just a slaughter every game. Where West Coast feel all high and mighty.

Id put it

1.State of Origin
2.Showdown
3.Collingwood Vs Essendon
4.Holden vs Ford
5.Collingwood Vs Carlton (would be higher but this is in recent times...)
6.Western Derby
7.Port Adelaide Vs Norwood (carries on to the Showdown)

And the rest I cant comment on.

1.State of Origin
2.Showdown
4.Holden vs Ford
6.Western Derby

Well I wouldn't have the Showdown in the top 3.....doesn't really make a blip on the radar in the Eastern States, which showed last night with under 250k watching the showdown in Melbourne.

Heres my top 5.

1. SOO
2. Anzac Day clash
3. Holden vs Ford
4. Coll vs Carl
5. Showdown
=Western Derby

How can the Western Derby be a bigger rivarly then the Showdown?

Showdown splits a state, and runs back all the way to SANFL. where as the Derby is just a slaughter every game. Where West Coast feel all high and mighty.

Id put it

1.State of Origin
2.Showdown
4.Holden vs Ford
6.Western Derby

Exactly. No way is the dArby bigger than the showdown.

The Ashes. Surely.

Sydney v West Coast would rate highly I would have thought over there?

I think he's talking rivalries with all Australian clubs. Anyway, to not have SOO as number one is just ridiculous. Melbourne v Adelaide in the soccer would start to be a big one soon.

Well I wouldn't have the Showdown in the top 3.....doesn't really make a blip on the radar in the Eastern States, which showed last night with under 250k watching the showdown in Melbourne.

Heres my top 5.

1. SOO
2. Anzac Day clash
3. Holden vs Ford
4. Coll vs Carl
5. Showdown
=Western Derby

Rivalry. Anzac day (Essondon vs Collingwood) doesn't spilt Melbourne? The only thing it does is draws viewers because its the only game on the day.

State of Origin pits the two states against each other. Showdown Splits SA in half, it runs back all the way to the SANFL days. No way would the Anzac day clash be the 2nd biggest rivalry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously he was high. Really really high.

Rugby state of origin should be below AFL/VFL state of origin, Ford V Holden should be higher up too, western derby shouldnt even be top 10.

If we loved our origin as much as the blues ad maroons, we would actually play the competition, and not make up excuses to not play the game.

1. NSW vs QLD in rugby league
2. Holden vs Ford
3. Our SOO
4. Essendon vs Collingwood
5. Derby/Showdown

But you were right, he was out of it when he wrote the article

glen quartermans a fair dinkum goose:thumbsu: Fancy having east and south freo at 7....lol.

And Ashley beat me to it. NSW and QLD state of origin easy, then the Ashes, then Bledisloe cup, then the Derby. Showdown is just a pissy game in a tiny state. It generates NO interest anywhere else.
your right he was comparing the worst guernseys of all time a few weeks ago and made himself look like a nob head

glen quartermans a fair dinkum goose:thumbsu: Fancy having east and south freo at 7....lol.

And Ashley beat me to it. NSW and QLD state of origin easy, then the Ashes, then Bledisloe cup, then the Derby. Showdown is just a pissy game in a tiny state. It generates NO interest anywhere else.
lol obviously you dont understand that the rivalries are meant for AUSTRALIAN ONLY sports/rivalries....

Adelaide United v Melbourne Victory should be, or will soon be in the top 10
lol why?? Its embarrassing mate... I mean 6-0 when we are close enough to be equal with them (or were IMO)

Im always gonna see games vs Sydney more important or a greater rivalry

Remove this Banner Ad

biggest australian sport rivalries

Remove this Banner Ad

Back