Biggest Frontrunner in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

You can add Steve Johnson & Cam Mooney to the list. Geelong do seem to have a lot of front runners.

Were you on the piss with Dids and Heath when doing that post ?
God bless the Collingwood doctor [Dr Nick from The Simpsons was it ?] that knocked him back for Collingwood :thumbsu:

Most of the players you call "frontrunners" are outside players. Why? If the inside players don't feed the ball out to them they'll look and seem crap. Thats why they seem so successful when they're winning but have no impact when they lose. Usually the team who wins more of the ball in close and in contested situations win the match- the more inside ball= better game from the outside players ("frontrunners").

So who as AFL fans should we respect more?

The blokes that win the inside ball or the blokes with the silky finishing skills? Or should we afford them the same respect and take into account their differing roles?

B: Joran McMahon Sam Fisher Joel Bowden
HB: Peter Burgoyne Nathan Bock Andrew Lovett
C: Nathan Eagleton Nathan Foley Nathan Van Berlo
HF: Dale Thomas Nick Riewoldt Des Headland
FF: Stephen Milne Brad Johnson Travis Varcoe
R: Brad Ottens Nick Stevens (c) Simon Goodwin (vc)
INT: Mark Williams, Brent Stanton, Matthew Stokes, Josh Fraser

B: Joran McMahon Sam Fisher Joel Bowden
HB: Peter Burgoyne Nathan Bock Andrew Lovett
C: Nathan Eagleton Nathan Foley Nathan Van Berlo
HF: Dale Thomas Nick Riewoldt Des Headland
FF: Stephen Milne Brad Johnson Travis Varcoe
R: Brad Ottens Nick Stevens (c) Simon Goodwin (vc)
INT: Mark Williams, Brent Stanton, Matthew Stokes, Josh Fraser

He annoys me but there is no way Reiwoldt is a front runner. Champion player.

I wouldnt say Ottens, Fisher or Bock were either.

Wearing my Brown and Yellow hat, Willo might be an arrogant sod, but he was firing when we were pants, not a front runner.

He annoys me but there is no way Reiwoldt is a front runner. Champion player.

I wouldnt say Ottens, Fisher or Bock were either.

Wearing my Brown and Yellow hat, Willo might be an arrogant sod, but he was firing when we were pants, not a front runner.

In my defence I couldn't think of too many KPPs who fitted the front runner category so had to fill the positions with blokes that annoyed/frustrated me too. Being a Port fan, I had to include Mark Williams, arrogant tosser.

I would say a lot of those flashy indigenous forwards or goal sneaks could be called Front runners, but that is really their job.

So who as AFL fans should we respect more?

The blokes that win the inside ball or the blokes with the silky finishing skills? Or should we afford them the same respect and take into account their differing roles?

Probably we should be about even but naturally i think we have more respect for the bloke who wins the hardball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Des Headland at Freo anyway. Good player when he is hot but below freezing when cold (look out for him in 2009 though Freo missed his run and finish badly). Only played 4 games in 2008

I would say a lot of those flashy indigenous forwards or goal sneaks could be called Front runners, but that is really their job.

I dont disagree with your post, but how come it is now ok to say that indigenous players are this or that, but if you said aboriginal players are this or that it would be racist.

Im not having a go at you personally, but does anyone agree if you use the word indigenous rather than aboriginal, you can say almost what ever you want.

This goes for commentators as well as posters.

Bit harsh on Thomas i reckon.

I think his problem is his tank. Cant run full games in the midfield yet. But he does win his own ball and runs hard. Also plays good in big games.

One of the best games ive seen him play was against Port Adelaide last year in the wet. Port won, but he was so clean in the wet and kept us in it. Got cleaned up, but fought on.

Reckon Heath Shaw is more of a front runner than Thomas. Sits behind the ball....only get disposals when he has no opponent. That is a front runner to me.

From other teams, I'd say Dal Santo ranks pretty high but when he lifts he is great. Milne is hot and cold but not a front runner...simply put when he is firing the Saints win. He is inconsistent but not a front runner.

Fiora would have to be up there, as would Jeff Farmer, Des Headland, Warren Tredrea, Travis Johnstone and Tom Lonergan.

Fiora would have to be up there, as would Jeff Farmer, Des Headland, Warren Tredrea, Travis Johnstone and Tom Lonergan.

It's yet to be determined whether Lonergan has the talent to be a good AFL player, but he's certainly not a frontrunner. Did you base it on his two-goal Grand Final, in which Geelong had 15+ other players down on form? :rolleyes:

It's yet to be determined whether Lonergan has the talent to be a good AFL player, but he's certainly not a frontrunner. Did you base it on his two-goal Grand Final, in which Geelong had 15+ other players down on form? :rolleyes:

simply saying that he managed to kick a bag of goals this year...on all the back of a fantastic team delivering it to him. Was rarely sighted in the GF.

I'd like to know the definition of a 'frontrunner'...seems we all have different opinions.

I judge it on players that only play good when your side is winning. But i would also equate it to players who are purely attacking and have no defence...players who play outside the packs and rely on people to get it to them, or players who play loose across half back and pick up cheap possessions.

Reckon Adam Goodes is a bit of a frontrunner. Only polled against bottom 8 sides when he won the brownlow the 2nd time round. Fantastic player, but seems to play his best games against the ordinary opposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest Frontrunner in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back