Bigman’s Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Think it’s worth noting that none of hinge laird or ned look unfit whatsoever, in fact hinge surprised me as he looked fit as a fiddle earlier this week so can’t imagine he missed it by much.

Would be appear all three beat their pb today based on the reaction from the rest of the boys who were cheering them on in the final stretch. hinge came first but blew up a bit after a super fast first lap and was almost caught by ned who had dan jackson along side to help push him. Laird finished third about 5-10 secs behind ned but hard to imagine hes unfit compared to previous years

Once again big numbers today with just Murray dragon and Harry (limited) on the sidelines. Nank trained fully which was good to see after limping off early on wednesday and only apparent injury was taylor who had knee strapped halfway through session but kept training and looked fine.

Interestingly in the final hour there was a full length drill which was basically match sim without stoppages or aggressive tackling, so coaches werent lying about getting right into the footy stuff. some notable player positions included cook in a deep forward role ala mcadam, nank on a wing as oppposed to defence and edwards and bond in middle. Was impressed by the slickness of ball movement, we have some players with real pizzaz on our list now

Thought i would touch on some players individually and happy to respond to questions on those i didn’t

Berry - once again impressive, has definitely leaned down a touch while others have beefed up and is moving better for it. Even put on a lovely sidestep and showed some real pace. kicking very good once again however he trained well last pre season so hopefully not a false dawn this time

Murphy - much to the dismay of his detractors i can’t help but be impressed by his running and physical condition. This time last year I thought he looked a tad stocky but no such issues this pre season. Looks the fittest ive seen him.

Curtin - new boys were kept out of the running as well as some drills so hard to learn too much. I thought it was worth noting however that he already appears to have a good rapport with teammates, lots of high fives and some banter with the likes of bond and Keane.

Thilthorpe - definitely moving the best ive seen him and was involved a number of times presenting well up forward and using his smarts to set up goals.

Rachelle - the boys did power running from one end of the oval to the other multiple times and the rash came out in front almost every time matching or beating the likes of sholl and bond who were the other bests. also incredibly tanned.

Pedlar - kicked a couple goals in the ‘match sim’ and set up another after putting on a lovely don’t argue followed by a sidestep and beautiful kick to rankine.

Edwards - struggled to get involved today which is understandable given the kids are managed and likely fatigued after a tough first week. That said hard not to be impressed by his size, he stands out in the middle with his sheer height and already a solid build. almost as tall as tex standing next to him.

Cook - played almost exclusively forward and along with rankine and berry my standout of the first week. Gut running stood out and found space well near goals. Curious to see if this role persists but he looks super fit and hungry.

Burgess - played forward rather than back and has slotted in very well with his sure hands

Rankine - taking the urine with some of his sidesteps, one even made Keane stand still nonplussed while he danced past. Bit worried he may be training too well too early!!

Dowling - impressed once again. Just such a cool head with the ball and also used a bit of pace on a couple of occasions. still slides on his kicks a bit but the results were almost always effective.

Borlase - forgot to mention him last time but appears to have responded well to the delisting. Looks fit and used the ball really well with some lovely long passes

Gallagher - actually thought he was the stand out of the newbies today. Got involved often in the ball movement drills and his kicking while a bit up and under was definitely improved. Tex provided guidance on a few occasions and looked to get him involved when possible. is super quick and even did a nice side step near goal which he kicked.

Bond - another who I forgot to bring up last report but fitness wont be the reason he doesnt make it. Might have the best rig of all our players and looks to be enjoying an uninterrupted run at it given he was mostly on the sidelines last pre season. took the game on a few times using some nice burst speed even if it didn’t always work out.

Keane - clearly riding a wave of confidence from last year and is already something of a general in defence with the way he sets up the play and takes risks with the ball. Beaten by tex a couple times late in the last drill but looks trim and up and about.
Great update, much appreciated! Good to hear Curtin is getting on with the rest of the boys.

I'm going to play...and get it wrong but 1 out of 3 and I'm happy

Sloane
Dawson
That guy who can't kick a footy
Time Mma GIF by UFC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our list has a lot of upside. There is definite signs our rebuild will be more than a success. By the looks of it, we have set ourselves up for the next decade for a regular tilt for top 4.

A lot of it depends on Rachelle Rankine and Pedlar taking major roles through the guts. Not discounting others but those three are our 3 top 11 picks that have huge potential to turn us from good to great.

I absolutely believe Rankine needs to go through the middle more, I remember exclaiming when Macca kicked the winning goal against Hawthorn that we had found our small forward we needed, skillful and fast...we had one or the other before...and in a way I see that with Rankine (he is not Macca) he is a very skillful small forward who is fast but geez, giving him the ball streaming through the middle...we didn't pay his collateral to be a small forward, surely we saw the bigger picture.

A lot of it depends on Rachelle Rankine and Pedlar taking major roles through the guts. Not discounting others but those three are our 3 top 11 picks that have huge potential to turn us from good to great.

I absolutely believe Rankine needs to go through the middle more, I remember exclaiming when Macca kicked the winning goal against Hawthorn that we had found our small forward we needed, skillful and fast...we had one or the other before...and in a way I see that with Rankine (he is not Macca) he is a very skillful small forward who is fast but geez, giving him the ball streaming through the middle...we didn't pay his collateral to be a small forward, surely we saw the bigger picture.

Well in the next two seasons we will need to rely on our developing mids but if Curtin can come into it than damnnnnn

dont really care about Lairds time. We know he will be as consistent as ever. Or care about Ned in general as a footballer. Tries hard but unlikely to remain on list come 2025 IMO.

Hinge is the one I have high hopes for a huge year and its also a contract year. Another step up from last year and he could be earning a Redman type 650k x 5 type deal (before TPD increases)
To be fair, hinges result could have gone either way.

Rankine is the closest thing to Bungee that we've seen I reckon.

If he could transition to midfielder he'd be one of the better ones getting around.

Totally agree the three mentioned dictate how far and how quickly we get there

Rankine is the closest thing to Bungee that we've seen I reckon.

If he could transition to midfielder he'd be one of the better ones getting around.

Totally agree the three mentioned dictate how far and how quickly we get there
I remember watching Izak in the Under 18 Championships. He was and is the closest player to Bungee in the entire AFL. He knows where to go in a stoppage to get the ball. At times both he and Bungee seemed to be lurking outside a stoppage and the next second they are streaming away with the ball.

Before he did his hammy against Melbourne it looked like he would single handedly drag us over the line. We must give he and Rash more time in the midfield next year.

I'm interested to see what happens with the midfield, its 26yo Dawson and 3 29+ year olds at the moment. Hopefully Rash gets some time in there but can Soligo, Berry or Dowling break in? Sloane shouldnt attend a CBA ever again.
My guess would be
Dawson near 100%
Laird 70% / Crouch 70%
Pedlar / Rachelle the other little.

Dawson is our trump card. Can be outside or inside depending on who is in there. He could well go brownlow. Don't forget how good he was last year and that was with no preseason as mid. Just got moved there during the year.

This is why it's essential one of Laird or Crouch doesn't play

My guess would be
Dawson near 100%
Laird 70% / Crouch 70%
Pedlar / Rachelle the other little.

Dawson is our trump card. Can be outside or inside depending on who is in there. He could well go brownlow. Don't forget how good he was last year and that was with no preseason as mid. Just got moved there during the year.
I always think it's weird when people think CBAs = midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bigman’s Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back