BJ Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they're both slightly overpaid.

Maxwell is being paid in legit aussie currency, not monopoly money, and Goddard is probably getting about 800k or more this year as his contract is front loaded.

One is making more than the other because one is a much better player than the other.

Both still play a very valuable role for their sides.

Maxy is paid overs due to being the skipper, and he's a very good leader, he's a premiership captain and he's an AA, is he a better player than Goddard? no.

Can we compare their wages?
Not really. We're trying to work out if Goddard would get a game ahead of Maxwell in the last 2 years.

The stats say that from 2010-2011 Goddard averaged more kicks, handballs, marks, contested marks, marks inside 50, rebound 50s, goals, behinds, tackles, clearances, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, effective disposals, disposal efficiency, bounces.

Maxwell had more spoils and averaged more time on ground.

Maxwell EDFL standard?

I could quote plenty of them. I just went through a list of examples in the 2nd paragraph of my post of things you've been wrong about.

You said he had one good year, numerous times, including in a thread on "players who had one good year", where your one word answer was "Goddard". Epic fail.

You said he's never played well in the midfield, numerous times. Epic fail.

You've said he can't break a tag, numerous times. Epic fail.

As I said last time we went through all this, it's pretty bloody clear that you only started following Goddard's career after the 2010 finals series, as you seem to be completely ignorant of what he did in all the years prior to that, yet you think you're an expert on him. You may have seen a lot of what he's done since 2010, when he has struggled after injuring his hip in R1 of 2011 (which needed an operation, but he played the whole year with it) and starting slowly last year, after his offseason hip operation, but finishing it well, but he actually had a career prior to that, where he did many, if not all the things you say he can't or hasn't done.

He's even done some of these things since then (like the 3 outstanding games he played on ball late last year, or the one he played against Freo a couple of weeks ago), but you are either ignoring or completely unaware of them as well.

Just one will do.

Not really. We're trying to work out if Goddard would get a game ahead of Maxwell in the last 2 years.

The stats say that from 2010-2011 Goddard averaged more kicks, handballs, marks, contested marks, marks inside 50, rebound 50s, goals, behinds, tackles, clearances, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, effective disposals, disposal efficiency, bounces.

Maxwell had more spoils and averaged more time on ground.

Maxwell EDFL standard?

Maxy is our captain, IMO that makes him the first picked.

Maxy is paid overs due to being the skipper, and he's a very good leader, he's a premiership captain and he's an AA, is he a better player than Goddard? no.

And goddard is paid overs because we had to get him over from another club.

I would love to hear your thoughts on Luke ball, would be very interesting

Goddard ain't no elite midfielder. Does he rank alongside Watson, Selwood, Pendles, Mitchell, Cotchin, Swan, Murphy & Co. You could argue successfully that the likes of Kennedy, Jack, Sewell, Stanton, & Swallow are all better.

Therefore the coin he's on is way overs. About $500,000 would be about right.

Essendon's midfield was thin so they were willing to pay the extra. All clubs have done that at some stage, but let's not pretend he's in the top bracket of on-ballers.

(Didn't mention Ablett because he's on another level)

Damn, i'm getting heaps more Goddard action now he's a Bomber, didn't see many of you when he was a Saint though.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They got him for free and they can fit him in the salary cap, how can anyone possibly argue he wasn't a good signing? They lost NOTHING to get him

Not really how it works, you'll have players requiring a pay rise and you'll have new draftees you have to pay.

Heppell and Carlisle are at the top of that list

How can people still not grasp that you're going to have to pay "overs" to get good players over to your club via free agency and it's pointless to compare to players signing extensions at their existing clubs. Pretty amazing that some of you mouth breathers can figure out how turn on a computer let alone use it.

Remove this Banner Ad

BJ Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back