BJ Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

Goddard ain't no elite midfielder. Does he rank alongside Watson, Selwood, Pendles, Mitchell, Cotchin, Swan, Murphy & Co. You could argue successfully that the likes of Kennedy, Jack, Sewell, Stanton, & Swallow are all better.

Therefore the coin he's on is way overs. About $500,000 would be about right.

Essendon's midfield was thin so they were willing to pay the extra. All clubs have done that at some stage, but let's not pretend he's in the top bracket of on-ballers.

(Didn't mention Ablett because he's on another level)

But Goddard is not a true midfielder. He is a utility similar to what Hird used to be. They can play anywhere bar ruck. Goddard is probably more valuable than the elite midfielders due to his versatility.

It cost them space they could use on other players, ie when Heppel or Carlisle come out of contract. So yes it did cost them something, you can't have a player for "free" pretty simple I woulda thought.
Well you're wrong, if we didn't pay Goddard 700k or whatever he is on this year, then it's gone, we can't magically use it in 2 years when Heppell and Carlisle need to be signed. It was use it or lose it, we used it and got a player that the fans, coaches and players love.

Well you're wrong, if we didn't pay Goddard 700k or whatever he is on this year, then it's gone, we can't magically use it in 2 years when Heppell and Carlisle need to be signed. It was use it or lose it, we used it and got a player that the fans, coaches and players love.

Well you'rewrong. You don't lose it, you have to spend a minimum amount of the salary cap not the whole 100% so you can keep your money. And essendon got him for 4 years not just 2013 so yes it did cost them cap space that can't be used on other players. You really don't get the salary cap do you?

How can people still not grasp that you're going to have to pay "overs" to get good players over to your club via free agency and it's pointless to compare to players signing extensions at their existing clubs. Pretty amazing that some of you mouth breathers can figure out how turn on a computer let alone use it.

And when are you going to learn you don't spend a large % of your salary cap for a bloody HB flanker for 4 years? lol, keep swingng tiger, do you honestly think Goddard was on the market for the Bombers only? he shopped himself around to every Melbourne club, highest bidder won.

Well you'rewrong. You don't lose it, you have to spend a minimum amount of the salary cap not the whole 100% so you can keep your money. And essendon got him for 4 years not just 2013 so yes it did cost them cap space that can't be used on other players. You really don't get the salary cap do you?
Why the hell would one of the richest clubs in the AFL rather pocket 700k than recruit a proven gun, I think it's you that needs to get a grip on the salary cap.

But Goddard is not a true midfielder. He is a utility similar to what Hird used to be. They can play anywhere bar ruck. Goddard is probably more valuable than the elite midfielders due to his versatility.

So you're saying Goddard is more valuable to Essendon than Watson. Sorry but that's ludicrous.

*Hird is an all time great and elite in any position he was playing, Goddard is not.

The important question is: How could the saints not be able to raise Goddard's salary to $700k? Apart from a handfull of elite players like Riewoldt, Dal Santo, Hayes, Montagna... there's really not much anything else that would drain the salary cap. The only logical explanation is that St Kilda has really shit list management where they are wasting money on fringe players.

Why the hell would one of the richest clubs in the AFL rather pocket 700k than recruit a proven gun, I think it's you that needs to get a grip on the salary cap.

So, over the next 3 FA periods your club is stuck paying 700k to Goddard, is Watson even on that sort of coin? how does your club become involved in big FA player movements over the next 3 years with that much of your cap already accounted for? looks to me like Jimmy wanted a quick fix, maybe in more ways than one.

The important question is: How could the saints not be able to raise Goddard's salary to $700k? Apart from a handfull of elite players like Riewoldt, Dal Santo, Hayes, Montagna... there's really not much anything else that would drain the salary cap. The only logical explanation is that St Kilda has really shit list management where they are wasting money on fringe players.

We had the money and then some, but the club obviously didn't think he was worth it. I disagree but that's what they decided.

Saints didn't want him for that price, Watters knew he was going to pay overs if he kept him, he chose correctly IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not just for 2013. You will have younger players that will require a pay rise at some point during his term and that could see somebody squeezed out. How do you not understand this? You can't get anything for free in the afl, it has equalisation measures. Geez I'm done explaining things to you.

Quite the opposite, they are trying to get a more even pay structure rather than having a handful of stars on big money and the rest getting unders. We also got draft picks for Goddard, not just extra salary cap space.

It's not just for 2013. You will have younger players that will require a pay rise at some point during his term and that could see somebody squeezed out. How do you not understand this? You can't get anything for free in the afl, it has equalisation measures. Geez I'm done explaining things to you.
Sorry pal, didn't realise I was talking to Essendon's list manager that knows the contract status of all players.

I have a feeling the Essendon staff may know a bit more about their list management than a St Kilda supporter on big footy.

Simply put, we are paying what we believe he is worth and got him for free.

Sorry pal, didn't realise I was talking to Essendon's list manager that knows the contract status of all players.

I have a feeling the Essendon staff may know a bit more about their list management than a St Kilda supporter on big footy.

If it costs you cap space it isn't free, why can't you see that?

So, over the next 3 FA periods your club is stuck paying 700k to Goddard, is Watson even on that sort of coin? how does your club become involved in big FA player movements over the next 3 years with that much of your cap already accounted for? looks to me like Jimmy wanted a quick fix, maybe in more ways than one.

With Goddard on a front loaded contract and a large increase to salary cap, we'll be fine.

Also With that logic wouldn't you go out and get every single free agent available because its free right?

With Goddard on a front loaded contract and a large increase to salary cap, we'll be fine.
Oh, ok, so seeing how you know about the cap rise do you think it's possible some of the players and managers did as well? or is that a bit far fetched?

Quite the opposite, they are trying to get a more even pay structure rather than having a handful of stars on big money and the rest getting unders. We also got draft picks for Goddard, not just extra salary cap space.

Quite the opposite? No, you just proved my point. They are taking money away from the stars, and giving it to the fringe players. Hence, they didn't have the money to pay Goddard.

I think even with the 700k a season they are paying Goddard they can afford it comfortably even considering the fact that they might need to up other players pays over the next few years. I wouldnt imagine there would be too many players at Essendon commanding big wages at the moment and they did get rid of Monfries last season who was on reportedly around 400k as well. Most contracts in excess of 3 years are usually back ended at some stage as well so with good management Goddards salary shouldnt be too much of a concern to manage

Also With that logic wouldn't you go out and get every single free agent available because its free right?

Okay we are going around in circles here.

We had the spare cap space, thats all I am saying, I would rather have him than not have him and we didn't lose anything.

You're correct, we probably can't score another free agent, but we already got a great one.

Agree to disagree

Remove this Banner Ad

BJ Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back