BJ Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

The tears seem like he had a bit of regret for leaving St Kilda. He left a club that gave so much to him and he gave so much back. A club where he played for 10 years, over 200 games and made a lot of mates.

Don't blame him for the waterworks. He had to do what he had to do. If anyone here was offered more money for their job, they would take it. He loved that club and that club loves him.

Choking up here guys.

wJppRR4.jpg

Goddard desperately wanted to stay at the saints and we shafted him at the contract table (which I'm pissed about btw) so yes ,money was the ONLY reason he left us.

And maybe it was because Essendon was on the way up and your little shitty club is on the way to win a few decades of wooden spoons once again?

I loved it for the same reason I loved seeing Jobe and Dyson skipping in round one, or Hird belting out the song last week. Real emotion. In a game where most players are either robots or being tools on the Footy Show, it's good to see a reminder that they're just people like you and me.

Goddard made a professional choice rather than a personal choice to switch clubs. I don't doubt it was real emotion, and I respect him for putting himself out there like that. If he'd rambled off shit about "the 4 points" nobody would have cared, but now there's a six page thread on it because it was something that we rarely see and more power to him for being real enough that people at least have an opinion on him as a person.

This Essendon season has delivered numerous moments that have made me appreciate football on multiple levels that I never have before, and this was no exception.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember how emotional Ball seemed after Collingwood beat St Kilda in the GF.

The guy has a life, he has aspirations and a future that he needs to take care of.

He made a decision to move to Essendon that he thought was in his own best interests.

Doesn't mean that it won't hurt when the guys he has bled with and trained with his whole career, his mates, get bested by his new team and look to be up shit creek.

Goddard gets wound up, he carries on a little on the field and his outpouring of emotion today, I am fine with that. Whilst I think it is important for coaches and administrators to keep a cool head and sometimes bite their tongue, the Australian need for robotic players is unhealthy.

I also think it is one of the more strange Australian sporting phenomena, as the big codes in the US and Europe don't have the same unhealthy fixation.

In that case of we offered him the same amount of money he still would've left?

See this is where you are wrong. The saints had the opportunity to offer something in the same ball park but didn't. If the saints weren't going down the tubes in all likelihood BJ would still be there and wouldve happily accepted less coin. Alas he is seeking a shot at a premiership (shame on him) and essentially jumped ship before it started sinking.

Do you think if it was Melbourne offering him the extra cash he would've joined..? Think again, players play to win flags just like teams do business to win flags, nothing else! Just ask Doug Hawkins, his biggest regret in footy was not accepting an offer to join the Bombers at the end of 83...

No you don't look any stronger.

last year it was north, port (home) gold coast, and Carlton in the first 4 rounds.

2 away wins coming from behind make this start categorically better than last year.

I dont get people on this earth. He gave what 9 or 10 years of his life to the st kilda football club, it was where he grew grow a boy to a man. Played over 200 games and is a life member. He spent so many hours at the club trying to do his part for the team, then he leaves and people say "he's dead to me". Look what he has done for your club, he has served his time, done enough and i dont know why he left but thats up to him.
He would still love the football club. People just need to grow up and stop holding grudges.

Left only for the coin which is something we will see happen a lot more these days.

He was already well paid at the saints so if he really loved the club/ team mates then he would have stayed.

The saints fans that have a hatred toward him will get over it eventually.

Remove this Banner Ad

BJ Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back