BJ Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

Also length of deal was an issue given age

Not worth what essendon are giving him but they had to give that to entice move

Hasn't got back to 2010 finals form and is being paid like he has

As far as salary goes, it's essentially trading monfries, mcveigh and slattery for Goddard and 2 draftees.

He's very durable, length of deal isn't an issue at all for me as of now.

I'm sorry, he has been good for you, but this is a complete nothing argument. It's like saying Cale Morton is better than Robert Harvey because he has a premiership

I think you mean Mitch. We already know Cale is superior to Robert Harvey, he doesn't need a premiership to prove it, either.

Tonight hurt alot - for a number of different reasons. However... to see BJ show his raw emotion at the end of the game made me realise - I still love you Brendon! Anyone who has ever taken another job for more money, and then wants to bag BJ is a complete hypocrite!

I'm glad some Saints fans are reasonable about the situation.

Judging from his emotion in the footage, it seems like he felt insulted by the Saints offer to him. Obviously he had an idea of what he was worth, particularly with other clubs floating figures to his management. When it came time to deal with the Saints they obviously low-balled him on the offer knowing they had to rejuvenate their list, any money they save can go on recruiting a star. BJ would have been seen as not being around for the next flag so spending big money on him wouldn't make sense for them.

BJ seems like a loyal guy, but there are definitely limits to anyones loyalty, and I guess BJ felt St Kilda didn't value him as much as they should have. Essendon did value him, they're in the right situation (list-wise) to recruit BJ at his age/price etc and that's the reason why he's now a Bomber.

Of course it'd be hard for saints fans to lose a player like Goddard, but I really think it was a case of wrong circumstance for both the saints and BJ. I don't think either should be painted as the bad guy. Saints were right not to break the bank to keep him, and he was within his rights to move on for a better offer under the circumstances. BJ would've been wasted at the saints anyways, they'll take a while to rejuvenate their list, he'll be well retired by their next flag.

I'm sorry, he has been good for you, but this is a complete nothing argument. It's like saying Cale Morton is better than Robert Harvey because he has a premiership
since when did cale morton when a premiership .... I doubt he even gets a game

Can someone bump the threads from back when Roo was filmed crying on the bench at the Gabba after he did his shoulder as a young fella. He was pilloried on here for years about being a sook and a crybaby, it still gets brought up.

Now Goddard spurts a few during an interview and he's "showing some heart"? Random...

He'll get over it once he counts his cash, that's all that matters obviously. in the old days for guys like Barker, Loewe, Harvey etc etc it was worth shedding 200K from your high end market value to stay loyal and play with your mates, but obviously those days are gone. He can't have it both ways though.
players play to win the ultimate ... none of the players mentioned did ... goddard has joined a team ripe for success

Goddard played well for us and to be fair we should of never got him (thanks Carlton). I will always remember his 2010 grand finals for us and his mark was up to now in my life the happiest moment i have had as a saints supporter. I just want him to be honest and say "i went for the money" and stop talking about opportunity and midfield time.

Yeah, they were both fantastic recruiting moves.
Not just fantastic. Some of the best ever, considering that by results-based judging of recruits, only players who play in premiership winning teams could be in that elite bracket. GC really missed a beat picking up that Ablett chap. His performance has been shocking - GC's only won about 7 games over more than 2 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not just fantastic. Some of the best ever, considering that by results-based judging of recruits, only players who play in premiership winning teams could be in that elite bracket. GC really missed a beat picking up that Ablett chap. His performance has been shocking - GC's only won about 7 games over more than 2 years
You have missed the point completely

Its a bit different. I don't have 40,000 people paying to watch me go to work every weekend.

Football clubs are about passion, pride, respect, loyalty. To change your colours for cash, we'll... you sold yourself over.

Lets not forget BJ was getting a decent wage as it was, the majority of people here wouldn't get anywhere near he would. I'd have to work probably 20 years to get his 5 years worth of playing football. Money isn't everything in life.

Some people play football with their mates, some people leave their mates to play for clubs offering them $1,000 a week. Why do some choose the money, and why do some choose their mates?

I just think, surely you don't need to be so greedy with cash. These guys get paid VERY well compared to others. Money shouldn't be the end all.

I don't hate BJ, I just think he made the wrong decision. He put his own interests before what was best for the club. We gave him something we thought was fair, even offered the captaincy, whilst at least giving the club some cash to start the rebuild.

We wanted him, he left for the cash. Cash over his mates. Pretty simple. It wasn't about playing in the midfield, he isn't one.
Don't also forget how he was pissed off at Ball for leaving, and that wasn't even for cash, it was because he hated Lyon.

You should be embarrassed for being embarrassed about an adult showing some heart on live T.V

You come across as one of those pseudo Alpha dog types that beats chest but essentially doesn't have much substance when the real stuff starts
Not one bit embarrassed buddy.

There are plenty of appropriate times to weep in life, that wasn't one of them.

Not playing fake-tough guy at all either, just calling it as I see it. This reminded me of Bubba Watson's press conference before the Masters', just flat out cringe-worthy.

I'd also like to remind you sentimental numpties that Goddard was one of the perpetrators for one of the fights before half-time (think it was half-time anyway).

Remove this Banner Ad

BJ Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back