Black Sheep of the CD Collection?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Re: Black Sheep of the CD Collection?

Originally posted by TheSheik

I suppose my compilations for The Mixtures or the one for Ray Burgess would be right up there.
Loved Ray's work on hits such as Touch Me and as host of Flashez. :D

Originally posted by Leaping Lindner
Amongst the pile of punk and new wave classics in my CD collection you will find Skyhooks' entire catalouge on CD! As well as The best of Slade,Gary Glitter and Sweet. In my defence they were my favourites when I was a teenybopper and I haven't managed to let go yet!

Well, I too have Skyhooks' first album, plus a Slade compilation, a Gary Glitter compilation and a Sweet compilation. I too love them from my high school days, can't get over them really.

Originally posted by clucas91
Some 1950's electronic music that I found in a junk pile.

Really!? Cool!

I was actually watching the special features on The Dish DVD the other day.....there happens to be some fantastic footage from the NASA archives of the Apollo 11 mission......shot at a high speed on real film by cameras mounted absolutely everywhere. And in the background is the most awesome trippy 60's "space" music! Reeealy early analogue synths (and definately a theremin in there too) playing random notes/noises rather than "songs." Pretty cool.

What is the CD called?

Originally posted by gPhonque

Really!? Cool!

I was actually watching the special features on The Dish DVD the other day.....there happens to be some fantastic footage from the NASA archives of the Apollo 11 mission......shot at a high speed on real film by cameras mounted absolutely everywhere. And in the background is the most awesome trippy 60's "space" music! Reeealy early analogue synths (and definately a theremin in there too) playing random notes/noises rather than "songs." Pretty cool.

What is the CD called?

The Collective works of Page and Tutor.

It is VERY strange music. I have no idea who Page and Tutor are...but I will try to explain what the music is like...

Imagine a very distorted bunch of hideous sound effects, then silence...after a moment of silence, a voice will say "Father looks at his watch" followed by another horrible distorted conundrum of sound affects then silence...after a moment of silence a voice "The clock ticks slowly :)confused: )".

Interesting huh?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Black Sheep of the CD Collection?

Originally posted by TheSheik

It's surprising how many songs old Ray had that you know. Also used to watch Flashez too, really enjoyed it as a kid but always thought his sidekick Mike Meade was a crack up.

Love Fever (written by Vanda/Young) and Sad Rock and Roll (written by Greg MacAinsh).I've got a demo of the 'hooks doing that somewhere!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Black Sheep of the CD Collection?

Originally posted by Leaping Lindner

Love Fever (written by Vanda/Young) and Sad Rock and Roll (written by Greg MacAinsh).I've got a demo of the 'hooks doing that somewhere!
Also loved seeing Ray get torn to shreds by the audience on Countdown.

Originally posted by clucas91

The Collective works of Page and Tutor.

It is VERY strange music. I have no idea who Page and Tutor are...but I will try to explain what the music is like...

Imagine a very distorted bunch of hideous sound effects, then silence...after a moment of silence, a voice will say "Father looks at his watch" followed by another horrible distorted conundrum of sound affects then silence...after a moment of silence a voice "The clock ticks slowly :)confused: )".

Interesting huh?

That's bizarre! I want it!

'Duke Lion Fights the Terror' by Big Dumb Face

*hangs head in shame*

Originally posted by the REAL dingo

any good?
I looked at it about 3-4 years ago when it first came out, but didn't have the cash at the time, time went by and i kinda forgot about it...

U.N.K.L.E - Psyence Fiction . . . .

Yes, it's worth getting. It's a fairly hard album to describe, as there is quite a multitude of content on the album. I guess it's more of a concept album in some ways, in the fact that it has so many guest appearances, and attempts to somewhat capture 'some' of the style of each guest into a trip-hop format.

I don't listen to it very often, but it's worth having.

The oddest one I have is "Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet" by Gavin Bryars. Totally at odds with the rest of the pile, although it's not really a black sheep because I quite like it.

Basically it's 10 seconds of a homeless man singing "Jesus' blood never failed me yet" looped for 72 minutes, with a changing orchestral backing and accompanied for the last few minutes by Tom Waits. Strangely hypnotic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Deestroy

:eek:
Hey! I went through a period of 90's craptronica!

The fact that I have the Los Del Rio 'Macarana' ALBUM highlights the disastrous period! I'm ok now, i got professional help (AC/DC - Razor's Edge):D

Los Del Rio isn't a bad Album actually, some nice Tango mixes on it.

Originally posted by AlfAndrews
If you consider that album a "black sheep", then I guess you'd see my CD collection as a whole bloody sheep station.

Must go a treat when you have the NZ friends around then, Alf . . .

I like all sorts of stuff, so I have some strange ones in my collection :)

Most of it is 90s alternative/guitar stuff. But some of the gems include:

Ace of Base - Happy Nation
B*Witched (both albums)
Debbie Gibson - all 7(!) albums
Dixie Chicks - Wide Open Spaces
Faith Hill - Breath & Faith
Pet Shop Boys - Very
Bear in the Big Blue House Soundtrack :D
Spice Girls - Spiceworld

And I like every last one of them too.

If we are talking CD's, my 'black sheep' would be The Hollies and Hermans Hermits.

If you want to talk old tapes, then that is a completely different story. Try PhD, Adam And The Ants, Human League, Duran Duran, Michael Jackson (out of place in my music collection, believe me.)

*shudder* WTF was I on in the 80's??? :eek:

Originally posted by carneagles
The oddest one I have is "Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet" by Gavin Bryars. Totally at odds with the rest of the pile, although it's not really a black sheep because I quite like it.

Basically it's 10 seconds of a homeless man singing "Jesus' blood never failed me yet" looped for 72 minutes, with a changing orchestral backing and accompanied for the last few minutes by Tom Waits. Strangely hypnotic.

I was trying to work out why that rang a bell. In was referred to in my poetry lecture a couple of weeks ago. Sounds interesting.

Okay... carry on.

From Al Jolson to Killing Joke, from Hank Williams to RunDMC, from from Patsy Cline to the Pogues, from Richard Wagner Opera to the Bay City Rollers!!!

There isnt any black sheep. Nothing fits together with anything anyway! :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Black Sheep of the CD Collection?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back