Umpiring Blicavs blocking in the ruck

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Scott in his presser stated that you can't do it and it's reportable and a free kick..he's not stupid .....so I think he's worked out a tactic at centre bounce that neutralise,s the oppos ruck by blocking

What would even be the point of just blocking the opposition ruckman and not contesting? Are we seriously expected to believe Blicavs is just trying to impede Meek and not contest the footy? Who do you all think he's blocking for? Let's get real here.

You're allowed to jostle around and put yourself in a better position than your opponent. What you can't do is knee a bloke in the solar plexus because you think he's in your way.
Maybe the midfielders🙄

Chris Scott in his presser stated that you can't do it and it's reportable and a free kick..he's not stupid .....so I think he's worked out a tactic at centre bounce that neutralise,s the oppos ruck by blocking
There's been 2 incidences in 4 weeks.
Both were the same club.
Coincidence?

What would even be the point of just blocking the opposition ruckman and not contesting? Are we seriously expected to believe Blicavs is just trying to impede Meek and not contest the footy? Who do you all think he's blocking for? Let's get real here.

You're allowed to jostle around and put yourself in a better position than your opponent. What you can't do is knee a bloke in the solar plexus because you think he's in your way.

Because he's a crap ruckman. If he neutralises the ruck contest that's a win for blicavs because he can use his athleticism once the ball hits the deck. He knows he's losing the hitout 9/10 times on a fair contest, so he wants to try to cancel it out.

There's been 2 incidences in 4 weeks.
Both were the same club.
Coincidence?

Opposition clubs know that Blicavs is a key player for us, so they get their jabroni ruckman to try to take him out.

Anyway, whatever you think of the tactics we use, you can't do what Meek did according to the AFL. Fine and move on.

Looks like a deliberate strategy to exploit the rules, but it should be a free for a ruck infringement. Sounds like they're happy to make the conversation all about the knee to distract from the real issue. Hopefully the AFL and umpires can identify this and stamp it out.

For the Tiger crowd itching for a fight here, Cox notes that Toby Nankervis has been doing the Geelong tactic for years.

IMO they're well within their rights to use this as a tactic against a bigger ruck. But their opponent should be well within their rights to defend themselves. Meek did that against a guy who wasn't even looking at the ball.

Geelong rucks did this to both Meek and Reeves.

We know it’s a tactic against Reeves because he’s a beanpole with not much strength. Running across the line and wrestling with him negates his ability to do much more than just tap the ball at his feet.

If the AFL want to continue to have the bounce, they need to be completely aware of the tactics being used to block and negate the better tap ruckman, or just do away with it as Cox and others have suggested.

Geelong rucks did this to both Meek and Reeves.

We know it’s a tactic against Reeves because he’s a beanpole with not much strength. Running across the line and wrestling with him negates his ability to do much more than just tap the ball at his feet.

If the AFL want to continue to have the bounce, they need to be completely aware of the tactics being used to block and negate the better tap ruckman, or just do away with it as Cox and others have suggested.

Don't think the bounce will be around for much longer TBH.

For the Tiger crowd itching for a fight here, Cox notes that Toby Nankervis has been doing the Geelong tactic for years.

IMO they're well within their rights to use this as a tactic against a bigger ruck. But their opponent should be well within their rights to defend themselves. Meek did that against a guy who wasn't even looking at the ball.
I'm having a discussion about an incident ...got nothing to do with itching for a fight....I have an opinion and I've share it with the others respectfully

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think the difference is that Toby and Richmond know this tactic is a high risk one, Nank is generally one of the highest free against players in the comp year on year and he’s also copped a few injuries from using the tactic over the years

But we have never once seen Toby or Hardwick try and argue that he is unfairly penalised or should be getting free kicks when opposing rucks raise the knee to protect themselves

I've attempted to align these two images, based on the position of the umpire, the two wingers at top of frame (one of whom is flat-footed), and what you can see of the centre circle.
Clearly, the ball is landing BEHIND where Meeks is standing when he makes contact to Blicavs.

Any suggestion of Blicavs blocking Meeks on this occasion is absolute BOLLOCKS.

1681260996275.png

I've attempted to align these two images, based on the position of the umpire, the two wingers at top of frame (one of whom is flat-footed), and what you can see of the centre circle.
Clearly, the ball is landing BEHIND where Meeks is standing when he makes contact to Blicavs.

Yes. And that frame shows plainly Blicavs looking up, not at Meek, when he cops the knee to the guts. It also shows Meep making high contact. When you've got a bloke over-running the drop of the ball and making illegal contact to his opponent with three of his four limbs, it's very obviously just frothing, delusional, anti-Geelong hatred from anyone trying to make out Blitz is the villain here.

edit: Oh yeah, watch the video. See how Meek takes two or three backwards steps after kneeing Blicavs? He's definitely overrun the drop of the ball to put a block on his opponent. Going in with the knee just makes it worse.

Last edited:

View attachment 1657479
Geez people can give me the sh*ts. Richmond and Hawk fans in particular are some of the biggest nuffs around and Cox has no idea whatsoever.

It is obvious Meek runs past it and you put a knee up to JUMP which is not what he is doing.

Sure Blicavs isn’t a good ruckman himself but that is not the point at all. Meek just sticks his knee in him, you can’t do it, simple.

Yes, he wasn’t contesting. Because he looked at the opposition player, not the ball. Meeks eyes were on the ball

Geez people can give me the sh*ts. Richmond and Hawk fans in particular are some of the biggest nuffs around and Cox has no idea whatsoever.

It is obvious Meek runs past it and you put a knee up to JUMP which is not what he is doing.

Sure Blicavs isn’t a good ruckman himself but that is not the point at all. Meek just sticks his knee in him, you can’t do it, simple.
Your eyes are painted on, and as clueless as ever.

DA7D3C23-F1F6-4EED-B1D7-BE6EB7400EE4.png

View attachment 1657479

This is reminiscent of the desperation of tigers-fans trying to will the football inside the goal posts from the brisbane game last year

Your eyes are painted on, and as clueless as ever.

View attachment 1657530

I would love for people to post a video of themselves jumping off one foot and then raising their knee after they have jumped (because Meek is in the wrong given he raised his knee first), as opposed to what literally everyone does which is raise the knee as you jump because that gives you the momentum and leap.

Watch the video. The ball ends up behind Meek, which is why he has to take a couple of steps backwards to get a hand on it. If you're going to run under the footy to put an illegal block on your opponent, don't lead with your knee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpiring Blicavs blocking in the ruck

Remove this Banner Ad

Back