Remove this Banner Ad

Dan26

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 23, 2000
Werribee
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Blockbuster matches advantaging teams is a myth.

I apologise for the spelling in the title, by the way but I can't delete it for some reason.

Anyway... I am sick of hearing the crap continuously spouted by Joffaboy.

The fact Essendon play Collingwood and Carlton twice a year has virtually nothing to do with the fact that those teams make money. Last time I checked, the majority of the AFL (11 of Collingwood's 15 opponents) get a home game against Collingwood. Essendon and Collingwood make money not because of who they play (as joffaboy would have you believe), but because of their OWN fans turning up. Essendon and Collingwood do not owe their million dollar profits in recent years to the presence of Carlton and Richmond fans at Essendon and Collingwood's home games, for God's sake. :rolleyes:

Let's look at the composition of the draw since the current 16 teams began playing each other in 1997. The clubs that seem to whinge most are the Kangaroos, St.Kilda and the Bulldogs, so let's look at those teams.

Since 1997, the number of home matches against the big-4 (Essendon Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond is as follows)

1. Kangaroos: 60 home games in Victoria from 1997 to end of 2003
20 of those 60 games (33.33%) against the big-4.

2. St.Kilda: 75 home games in Victoria from 1997 to end of 2003
20 of those 75 games (26.67%) against the big-4.

3. Bulldogs: 73 home games in Victoria from 1997 to end of 2003
19 of those 73 games (26.03%) against the big-4.

4. Essendon: 77 home games in Victoria from 1997 to end of 2003
20 of those 77 games (25.97%) against the big-4.

5. Collingwood: 77 home games in Victoria from 1997 to end of 2003
20 of those 77 games (25.97%) against the big-4.

6.Carlton: 77 home games in Victoria from 1997 to end of 2003
18 of those 77 games (23.37%) against the big-4.

But wait, I hear the fans of the smaller clubs complaining that the big-4 can't play themselves (i.e Essendon can't play Essendon), so obviously they are going to play each other less, and that they hardly play any non Victorian sides at home. Well, let's just see about that shall we. Let's see how many Non Victorian sides the 6 clubs have played at home since 1997.

Essendon have played 28 home matches against non-Vic teams out of a possible 77 home matches (36.4%)

Collingwood have played 28 home matches against non-Vic teams out of a possible 77 home matches (36.4%)

The Bulldogs have played 27 home matches against non-Vic teams out of a possible 73 home matches (36.99%)

The Kangaroos have played 21 home matches against non-Vic teams out of a possible 60 home matches (35.0%.) The best result of any team.

St.Kilda have played 29 home matches against non-Vic teams out of a possible 75 home matches (38.67%)

Carlton have played 28 home matches against non-Vic teams out of a possible 77 home matches (36.36%)

So the end result is after 7 years St.Kilda has played only one more home game against low drawing non-Victorian sides than Collingwood and Essendon. ONE MORE! Big friggin deal! I frankly couldn't give a stuff who our 11 home matches are against. I couldn't care less if we only have home games against 2 of the other big 4 teams. The reason the big clubs makes money isn't because of who they play. It's because of who they are.

Re: Blockbuster matches advantaging teams is a myth.

Originally posted by Dan26
The Kangaroos have played 21 home matches against non-Vic teams out of a possible 60 home matches (35.0%.) The best result of any team.
Does that include the SCG and Manuka?

Re: Re: Blockbuster matches advantaging teams is a myth.

Originally posted by DaveW
Does that include the SCG and Manuka?

Home matches in Victoria are home matches in Victoria. The Kangaroos had some matches at the SCG which I believe were underwritten by the AFL. Manuka matches are irrelevant in terms of playing an "interstate" team (which is what these clubs all complain about), because all opponents are interstate. It doesn't matter if Carlton or Port Adelaide visit Manuka. Both those sides are playing away from their supporter base.

Re: Re: Re: Blockbuster matches advantaging teams is a myth.

Home matches in Victoria are home matches in Victoria. The Kangaroos had some matches at the SCG which I believe were underwritten by the AFL. Manuka matches are irrelevant in terms of playing an "interstate" team (which is what these clubs all complain about), because all opponents are interstate. It doesn't matter if Carlton or Port Adelaide visit Manuka. Both those sides are playing away from their supporter base.
But the matches against the six non-Vic sides that would have been in Melbourne have been moved to Sydney/Canberra. Surely you can see that this taints your statistics?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Blockbuster matches advantaging teams is a myth.

But the matches against the six non-Vic sides that would have been in Melbourne have been moved to Sydney/Canberra. Surely you can see that this taints your statistics?

It doesn't matter what matches are in Sydney or Canberra. Due to those matches being away from the supporter base of the away team, the crowd will always be around 10,000 (give or take a few thousand either way.) It's not as if having a home game against Collingwood in Canberra is going to bring in the cash.

And correct me if I'm wrong but the AFL have underwritten a lot of those games anyway, making the financial aspect of the whingeing irrelevant.

The home matches a team gets in Victoria are the ones the fans complain about. We hear complaints like, "We play all the low drawing sides", and "We don't play any of the big-4" and crap like that.

The clubs in question play almost an identical percentage of home games against low drawing opponents as Collngwood and Essendon do. St.Kilda have played 29 interstate teams and Essendon have played 28. So, why do they complain about playing low drawing opponents? Essendon and Collingwood play just as many!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Blockbuster matches advantaging teams is a myth.

It doesn't matter what matches are in Sydney or Canberra. Due to those matches being away from the supporter base of the away team, the crowd will always be around 10,000 (give or take a few thousand either way.) It's not as if having a home game against Collingwood in Canberra is going to bring in the cash.
That wasn't what I was arguing. Point is, they play home matches against those sides.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Blockbuster matches advantaging teams is a myth.

That wasn't what I was arguing. Point is, they play home matches against those sides.

... and those matches are underwritten by the AFL. Normal home games aren't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stats. Don't you love them?

The key points are.
Essendon/Collingwood etc have larger crowds. Fact.
Kangaroos etc have smaller crowds. Fact.

Anzac day games have larger crowds than usual. Fact.

Essendon's/Collingwood's already large total attendances get maximised by playing these fixtures. Fact.

Kangaroo's already small total attendances remain small, by not having any of these fixtures, since Collingwood and Essendon hogs them. Fact.

15,000 extra spectators per annum equates to a sponsorship of how much per year?
So the AFL sponsors these clubs by how much?

Originally posted by Rooboy 96
Rooboy 96 leans back in his chair... and thinks... why is Dan so defensive...if it makes no difference...

GIVE THEM UP!!!

I will give them up. Makes no difference to me. The big clubs make money not because of who they play, but because of who they are. I couldn't care less how many times we play Collingwood or Carlton.

Gotta agree with DaveW

North for example requested interstate fixtures be put in Canberra or Sydney. They were going to get the interstate teams anyway. They just didn't want to play them in Melbourne. They were still drawn to play home games against them, which any draw comparison has to take into account.

You shouldnt include North v a victorian club in Canberra. But a North game in Canberra or Sydney against Port, Freo etc should count, because it was a home game drawn against an interstate opponent, regardless of where it was played.

Originally posted by dave_27
Give Essendon Freo everyweek and we'll still make a million dollar profit.(Not to mention Fremantle as well)

Now if Essendon did that, And Collingwood did it to the dogs, Richmond to North, and Carlton to the Saints, we wouldnt have any teams in trouble.

Sounds like a great solution, So why not?

I will give them up. Makes no difference to me. The big clubs make money not because of who they play, but because of who they are. I couldn't care less how many times we play Collingwood or Carlton.

Pity your club and the other two don't see it that way...

Originally posted by PAfolwr

Kangaroo's already small total attendances remain small, by not having any of these fixtures, since Collingwood and Essendon hogs them. Fact.

Hogs them? 1 out of every 3 Kangaroos home games in Victoria is against a big-4 club. More than any other club in the AFL. Fact.

And I'm not even including ther home SCG game against Richmond (2000) and home Manuka game against Collingwood (2001.)

Hogs them? 1 out of every 3 Kangaroos home games in Victoria is against a big-4 club. More than any other club in the AFL. Fact.
How many of these are on days like Anzac day where the Crowds are larger than normal?

0. Fact.

Now that Easter Monday is recognised as a good day for Football, as long as there are no other games, you can bet your bottom dollar that Collingwood, followed by Essendon, will try and steal it. Fact.

Originally posted by Rooboy 96
so you too believe there is a need for Dan to defend Blockbusters... interesting...

I'm not "defending" blockbusters Rooboy. I am stating that the whingeing about them is unfounded.

If anything, I am "attacking" the whingeing rather than defendng anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Blockbutsr matches advanatgeing teams are a myth,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back