Blockbutsr matches advanatgeing teams are a myth,

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by PAfolwr
How many of these are on days like Anzac day where the Crowds are larger than normal?

How many home games do Collingwood get on public holidays this year? None. Same with Carlton and Richmond.

St.Kilda and Melbourne both have home games on public holidays. Last year, Hawthorn and Melbourne played on Easter Monday and got the same crowd (44,000) that St.Kilda and Richmond got this year.

Essendon came up with idea and invited Collingwood and so they keep it.

I also think the Kangaroos promoted the Friday night game and the AFL should be scheduling the majority of Kangaroos homes games then.

St Kilda should also be playing a majority of their homes games on Saturday nights since they were the ones playing a majority of their games then when they were at Waverly.

Originally posted by Dan26
How many home games do Collingwood get on public holidays this year? None. Same with Carlton and Richmond.

St.Kilda and Melbourne both have home games on public holidays. Last year, Hawthorn and Melbourne played on Easter Monday and got the same crowd (44,000) that St.Kilda and Richmond got this year.
Does having only one game in Melbourne on Friday afternoon not count?
Or are you saying that it's an Essendon's home game this time?

You can answer part B with a simple true or false.
Does playing only one game on public holidays, guarantee larger than normal crowds?

Originally posted by RIPPER_46
How come the kangaroos dont play friday nights anymore?
They used to be on just about every friday night.

ha... it must have become popular... so guess who got them... oh yeah those big two Collingwood and Essendon... after all they needed the help...

Originally posted by PAfolwr

Does playing only one game on public holidays, guarantee larger than normal crowds?

Yes.

But playing them on a public Hoilday instead of Saturday arvo is not the reason for making a million dollar profit. Let's put it all in perspective, for God's sake!

I'd make an intelligent guess, that a public holiday adds 15-20% to the crowd (it also costs more to run a game on a public holiday.)

Re: Blockbuster matches advantaging teams is a myth.

I apologise for the spelling in the title, by the way but I can't delete it for some reason.
Why not go the whole hog and apologise for the crap in your post as well?
3. Bulldogs: 73 home games in Victoria from 1997 to end of 2003
19 of those 73 games (26.03%) against the big-4.

4. Essendon: 77 home games in Victoria from 1997 to end of 2003
20 of those 77 games (25.97%) against the big-4.
It's 77 home games - the fact that we have moved some against an interstate club shouldn't be used to over-state the percentage of home games against the big4.

The point I want to make is that out of 77 home games in 7 years, if there was a even draw, Essendon would play the other 3 20% of their home games (3/15). They get 25.97% of their home games against those clubs.

If the draw was even, we would get 4/15 of our 77 home games against the big 4 (26.67%). We got 19/77 (24.67%).

What happened to that other 2 %?

That's our blockbuster tax. Every club not involved gets hit by this tax. Someone has to lose something if the blockbuster clubs are going to get their extra.

The problem is not just 2% in dollar terms though. It's a chance at a large gate (to us anyway - modest to you) taken away and replaced by a break-even gate (if we're lucky).

I'm not arguing that this is a significant issue in the scheme of things. This isn't the cause of our financial difficulties.

But to argue that it does not disadvantage some teams to the advantage of others is just plain false. It does.

Yes.

But playing them on a public Hoilday instead of Saturday arvo is not the reason for making a million dollar profit. Let's put it all in perspective, for God's sake!

I'd make an intelligent guess, that a public holiday adds 15-20% to the crowd (it also costs more to run a game on a public holiday.)
Who's talking about a million dollars. Let's not get sidetracked.
Point is how much extra $ will this game mean to St Kilda than it would otherwise?
It really is like a sponsorship, but the AFL is not behaving like Robin Hood. It is making sure it gives to the rich that don't need it, and not to the poor that do.
At the end of the day are we talking of how much extra?
Lets see 15,000 people @ ?.
No extra expenses since they are already covered by the spectators that would normally turn up.
Could be the difference between a yearly loss, and a small profit.
Multiply that by 4 or 5 years, and bingo big difference.

How come the kangaroos dont play friday nights anymore?They used to be on just about every friday night.
Because the innovative clubs are rewarded? Because its big money and we cant have North successful?
Damn I give up, I don’t know! What I do know is there must be some fair and equitable reason for it.:rolleyes:

Re: Re: Blockbuster matches advantaging teams is a myth.

Originally posted by K9-54
Why not go the whole hog and apologise for the crap in your post as well?

It's 77 home games - the fact that we have moved some against an interstate club shouldn't be used to over-state the percentage of home games against the big4.

The point I want to make is that out of 77 home games in 7 years, if there was a even draw, Essendon would play the other 3 20% of their home games (3/15). They get 25.97% of their home games against those clubs.

If the draw was even, we would get 4/15 of our 77 home games against the big 4 (26.67%). We got 19/77 (24.67%).

What happened to that other 2 %?

That's our blockbuster tax. Every club not involved gets hit by this tax. Someone has to lose something if the blockbuster clubs are going to get their extra.

The problem is not just 2% in dollar terms though. It's a chance at a large gate (to us anyway - modest to you) taken away and replaced by a break-even gate (if we're lucky).

I'm not arguing that this is a significant issue in the scheme of things. This isn't the cause of our financial difficulties.

But to argue that it does not disadvantage some teams to the advantage of others is just plain false. It does.

Your club can't complain. Of the 77 home games you will play until the end of 2003, only your 4 SCG home games against the Swans were played interstate, and if you weren't contraced to play one home game up there each year, the odds are that home game would be against Victorian side anyway, because the majority of teams are Victorian.

The undsiputable stats are that since 1997 I have seen my club play against interstate teams 28 teams and you have seen yours play 27 times against "low drawing" interstate opponents

It just annoys me when people complain about us playing Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond every year. You've had 19 home matches against them to our 20.

As you said, if you're looking for an excuse for the financial performance of our team, you're going to have to look somewhere else. The AFL draw is not the reason. You play comprable numbers of matches against big-drawing teams and low drawing teams as my club.

Originally posted by topdon
Because they don't rate!! Pure and simple.

This is all commercial television stations care about.

Absolute rubbish, we got over 70,000 attendance during a game in 1994. The friday games also had high ratings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because they don't rate!! Pure and simple. This is all commercial television stations care about.
Well it’s the AFL that let them have their way. This way it just helps the bigger clubs get bigger, and then you (big 4/ interstate supporters) complain when smaller clubs need some money. And they did rate, just just as much as now. Surely the big 4 are big enough to draw the ratings whenever they play? When the smaller clubs finally do get money they are made uncompetitive on the field after being r*ped off the field. And its Essendon and Collingwood supporters who call for a level playing field the loudest!

Originally posted by dogga16
Wasn't that game against a "big 4" club in Collingwood ??

72,216 the offical attendance. It was the Kangas 125th Anniversary game. We used to draw regularly over 50,000 during other friday night games during the 90's.

How many home games do Collingwood get on public holidays this year? None.

Next year it'll be
How many home games do Essendon get on public holidays this year? None.

The year after
How many home games do Collingwood get on public holidays this year? None.

and when you are Dan43 you'll still be spouting the same old sh1t

Don't blame us for having poor administration and managment.
This is the general big 4 argument, but our administration and management had the foresight to pioneer Friday night footy which is worth mega bucks. But who gets the benefit from our great foresight? Not us and through no fault of our own.
Would you be happy if the government just gave me your house because im richer and ill rent it out to someone needy saving them money on gov housing? What not everything is about money do I hear you say? Well bad luck, you shouldve managed your money better and made sure you had more money than me.

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by R00StaR
This is the general big 4 argument, but our administration and management had the foresight to pioneer Friday night footy which is worth mega bucks.

To bad they couldn't rope in more supporters than anyone else.

FWIW you can have your night games. We didn't want them this year and still got them.

Originally posted by K9-54
68050 North vs Bulldogs in 98.

Perfect example, of 2 of the so called poorer clubs, pulling a great crowd to a game.

Why is the Roos v Crows game on a friday night, because channel Eddie told the AFL it wanted to cover the game, to get the ratings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Blockbutsr matches advanatgeing teams are a myth,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back