Injury Blue Healers Medical Room - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see a major positive out of this*; it forces us to play 'small ball'.

Instead of bombing the ball into the forward line, it will make us lower our eyes, look for targets, work the ball inside 50 cleverly. Chip kicks, retaining possession, more goals from midfielders etc.

Then when Charlie and Harry are back, we have more tricks up our sleeves. If you can learn to do it tough, you should fly under easier conditions - kind of like high-altitude training....

Disclaimer: Soapy V's blue-tinted glasses were not harmed during production of this post.

If that happens that would be great, I am hoping that we become better at playing the game with more skill and athleticism as you have said but I don't see us going without tall targets up forward with our depth and at this stage I would not be expecting McKay to miss.

I would hope that we can play with a well balanced game and I hope that we can move the ball quickly and that we know when to get it in long and when to possess the ball a bit more. I think this part of our game is something that will have to evolve naturally.

Could get interesting if Silvagni, Kennedy, Casboult and Dekoning all show good form when McKay and Curnow get back. Hopefully it allows us to take a longer approach to getting them fit and we don't feel forced to bring in underdone players.

Some short/medium term injuries to tall forwards for us isn't a huge worry, we have great depth and a capability to restructure the forward line successfully. If we're the real deal we'll do what good sides do and win with what we've got.

I just hope the two big boys can be reassembled. The Cooney and Daniher analogies don't bode well.

Harry's 'groin' issue is probably a matter of time but a cracked knee cap on top of structural issues will be a serious challenge for Charlie - fingers crossed they are both back and firing sometime in first half of year - I blame SOS.

Here’s hoping H is in good hands. Seems like mismanagement throughout the season which has caused this, from my view.
They definitely played him through this, and were happy for him to be more of a role player due to the restricted movement. They should be able to manage him OK through the pre-season.

I just hope the two big boys can be reassembled. The Cooney and Daniher analogies don't bode well.

My impression is our injury management approach has completely changed recently.

Before: let's play this guy as soon as he can run and jump.

Now: let's play this guy when his injury is fixed.

Even under the new system, there are realities to deal with and we can't wait 5 years for a player to be 100%. And re-injury can still occur under the new method. BUT it seems like we are now treating underlying weaknesses/injuries instead of performing triage on the presenting symptoms.

So, I imagine we will take a longer-term, approach to managing/fixing Harry's groin instead of 'I guess he could play round 1 if we need'.

Last edited:
They definitely played him through this, and were happy for him to be more of a role player due to the restricted movement. They should be able to manage him OK through the pre-season.
Definitely agree with you Jimmae. The way he was kicking through the ball towards the end of the year spoke volumes. 50m snap aside..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just so a headline "Brodie Kemp receives positive news on ACL" but as it's on News Corp I can't read the article.

"Carlton draftee Brodie Kemp is hopeful of ramping up his training after Christmas, having received positive news in his recovery from an anterior cruciate ligament tear.

The Echuca-raised Kemp tore his ACL during a school football game for Geelong Grammar in July but was advised by surgeon Julian Feller on Wednesday that he was ready to resume running.

The good news on the injury front came just hours before Kemp’s day was made even better when he joined Carlton with pick 17 in the AFL national draft."

"Carlton draftee Brodie Kemp is hopeful of ramping up his training after Christmas, having received positive news in his recovery from an anterior cruciate ligament tear.

The Echuca-raised Kemp tore his ACL during a school football game for Geelong Grammar in July but was advised by surgeon Julian Feller on Wednesday that he was ready to resume running.

The good news on the injury front came just hours before Kemp’s day was made even better when he joined Carlton with pick 17 in the AFL national draft."
Very positive, should really be able to get into some good work under Russell.

I hate this thread.

Every time I see it bumped I think of Nancy Kerrigan.

PLEASE CREATE A NO DISCUSSION ONE!
Technically, your post bumped the thread again.

Guessing this one will too, ffs

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Blue Healers Medical Room - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back