List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be madness to use another high value pick on a small forward.

Even if Owies does go we still have Williams, Motlop, Moir, Durdin, Fantasia and cheap options at the trade table.

And to go out on a limb, I'm not sure playing four small forwards is our go. This isn't Transformers were they all combine to form Optimus Kernahan...though admittedly that would be very cool.
When was the last time we used a high value pick on a small forward?

100%

Corey isn't a small forward. Play him in the midfield in the VFL and see what he can produce.
Dylan Moore from the Hawks said he was a pure midfielder and had to learn his forward craft and now heā€™s one of the best.

Credits Luke Brest for his improvement. Maybe Corey needs some luck with injuries and a good mentor.

Still don't understand why we delisted Martin. Especially if there is reportedly interest in him. If nothing else, the token picks may have given us some points in case bids come earlier than expected for the Campo boys.
It's not like we owe Martin any favours. If anything, he owes us. Poor Austin. Very very poor.

Anyone heard of any KPDs we are into?
Surely Haynes doesnā€™t fix it upā€¦maybe the club is keeping Sam durdin because they donā€™t think we can get another mature age KPD?
Ideally
In: Houston, Haynes, Rosaā€™s, KPD, speedy mid (again would love hear who we are into), campo boys, pick 11
Out: owies (good trade bait and can turn him into rosas and a 2nd rounder), Akeui, Mirkov, Marchy, Martin, cunners, Jack Carroll (trade), Matt carroll

This is the way Austin should attack the trade period imo.
Trade our future 1st for two firsts from either swans or tiges (18,19 or 17,20) and use one of them and a future 2nd for houston, then use the other first rounder for a nice speedy inside mid from another club.
So trade our future pick 18, for current year 18 and 19

Like your thinking

So trade our future pick 18, for current year 18 and 19

Like your thinking
Got zero inside info, but Noah Balta free agent next year. Maybe just looking at Haynes to hold the fort for a year and then make a big play at him?
Or maybe Jed Busslinger at dogs? I know he re-signed so clearly isn't home sick or desperate to get to WA, but could be another option. If not the current trade period but also 12 months time. Wouldn't want to play VFL every week and has now had a couple of years of development under his belt.
At the risk of bringing in another Marchy (talented kid who can't stay on the park), is Josh Gibcus worth a look at?

Still don't understand why we delisted Martin. Especially if there is reportedly interest in him. If nothing else, the token picks may have given us some points in case bids come earlier than expected for the Campo boys.
It's not like we owe Martin any favours. If anything, he owes us. Poor Austin. Very very poor.
No club prepared to trade for Martin, so what were the options? Sign him up again for another year?

Martin is worth Rhys Palmer compo, heā€™s as cooked as they come.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our first pick last year for a start.

Durdin was a high value pick

Motlop was a high value pick.

Williams is a significant chunk of coin.

Moir was Pick 29 and is 188cm. Not a small fwd

Durdin was Pick 37
Motlop was Pick 27
Williams was a FA and recruited to play midfield

Not sure I would classify any of these as "high value" picks

Ben Dickson highlighted that the AFL tweaked the rules around stoppages after round 10. They reduced the delay in restarting the game by about half. The timing roughly matches our decline and the surge of teams like Hawthorn, Brisbane and Bulldogs. They are all much quicker teams than Carlton, and were able to exploit the new gamestyle. Our lack of pace and our shocking run with injuries is what cruelled us. Maybe the coaching team was also slow to cotton on to what was such a major change in the game.
I thought we adjusted terribly to the new HTB interpretation, the other tweaks as you say could have made things worse.

I thought it was notable in that West Coast game how far up the ground he was pushing. And he looked very comfortable in doing it.

Durdin needs to get over his injury concerns. That's the first issue. Sounds like shoulder surgery which will again limit his pre season.

Hope he can get fit and at least do most of the pre season. If so, I hope it's in the middle.

Durdin has genuine leg speed, is a very good mark and good ball user. There is a bit of Liam Baker about him. I have no doubt if fit and used up the ground and even off HB he would do well.

IMO he is a smart footballer just not a natural small forward

Dylan Moore from the Hawks said he was a pure midfielder and had to learn his forward craft and now heā€™s one of the best.

Credits Luke Brest for his improvement. Maybe Corey needs some luck with injuries and a good mentor.
Having the equivalent of Breust and Gunston would be invaluable. We have neither in the forward line to provide the smart, craft and leadership.

Moir was Pick 29 and is 188cm. Not a small fwd

Durdin was Pick 37
Motlop was Pick 27
Williams was a FA and recruited to play midfield

Not sure I would classify any of these as "high value" picks
It's largely semantics. Moir is there to generate goals and apply pressure...and certainly won't be deployed far from goal for a year or two.

It doesn't matter a jot where Williams was recruited to play. He's a high value forward pocket for the next two years or he's nothing.

I think most would agree early seconds are high value picks, Motlop, Durdin and Moir were our highest list priorities at draft for the year. Even Fog wasn't chump change.

It's a huge amount of resource to direct to the small forward role...partucularly in the context of where most quality small forwards are selected.

Last edited:
Our forward line has many question marks. Fitness will help

HF:...... McKay .........
F: Moir Charlie .......... plus ..........

The gaps need to be filled by smalls
Hopefully Williams has a full pre season
Fogarty or Cottrell can play a defensive role but is that enough?
Motlop is the one I still have hope for
Can the 7th person be a combo of Kemp/Cripps pushing through the midfield?
Do we rotate Walsh, Elijah, Cerra through here?

Durdin I want up the ground

We definitely need to add better options. Rosa, Kostanty are possibles. If Berry is as good as some suggest we seriously need to grab him at 11. It's a real need

Last edited:
Iā€™m worried about Williams. I know he was in and out this season with injuries and what not. But he looked sluggish to me and looked to struggle to run games out. Like a few, needs and hopefully gets a full pre season to really get up and going

He and Gov canā€™t stand up for a full season of AFL footyā€¦notice how they are always flying through pre season but struggle to back up each weekā€¦

I have no inside knowledge but just listening to the SEN this morning I think we will end up with Dan Houston. Sam Edmund cited the 3-club trade between us sending Future 1st to Richmond for a first rounder this year then trading to Port for Houston as he said Port are desperate to get into this years draft. Some steak knives presumably also involved but you can see it working.

The more I think about this the more I'm all in. We need a big KPD but our other Achilles heel is ball movement from half-back. We have seen how damaging Saad is when operating at 100% but he seems to be slowing so Houston ready made replacement and allows us to bring Billy Wilson along in time.

Get speed on the ball out of the back line and all things start to fall into place up forward.

Last edited:
He and Gov canā€™t stand up for a full season of AFL footyā€¦notice how they are always flying through pre season but struggle to back up each weekā€¦
Yeah spot on. Next year will be a big year for those two for various reasons. Iā€™m worried for them come the end of the year log they canā€™t find consistency in their bodies

or you could blame the mids, Cripps aside, for going to water.... and delivering poorly - or not at all - inside 50.

There aren't many 30 a goal small forwards about... 33 goals ranked him #8 of the small forwards (and he dishes off a few too -15 goal assists this year).

And averages just shy of 3 tackles a game....

A few bloody harsh judges here me thinks.

I've been carrying on like a parrot lately about our midfield issues...

But low tackle and pressure numbers, low gbg numbers, low goals, low general impact in games... that's on the small forwards themselves...

Owies is the best of possibly one of the worst group of small forwards in the comp...

Having said that, we aren't going to let him go for nothing. If we can't pry a decent 2nd round pick for him, chances are we'll offer him another contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back