List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought I'd take a look back at our consensus best 23 team (thanks JuddgementDay ) from the start of the year:

FB: Boyd Weitering Marchbank
HB: Newman McGovern Saad
C: Acres Cripps O.Hollands
HF: E.Hollands McKay Fantasia
FF: Motlop Curnow Martin
FOL: TDK Walsh Cerra
INT: Williams Docherty Hewett Kennedy Cottrell

I do think if we'd had that team on the park for the majority of the year, we'd have finished a lot higher than 8th. But...

Anyway, from this "best 23" of this year, we're losing:
Marchbank
Martin
Kennedy (probably)

Additionally, from depth, we're losing:
Cuningham
Akuei
Mirkov
Owies (probably)
Young (possibly)

Haynes is the obvious replacement for Marchbank on the best 23.
Perhaps Moir on track as a like-for-like replacement for Martin's spot.
Cincotta perhaps the current choice for Kennedy's spot.

The likes of JCarroll, Lord, Silvagni, Kemp, Fogarty, Cowan, Binns, CDurdin will be putting pressure on the likes of Fantasia, Motlop & Cottrell, who I don't expect to be in our best 23 when we come to do this consensus thingy again at the start of next season. And that's not taking into account any other mature recruits, or significant progress from the development group (e.g. Lemmey, Wilson, O'Keeffe, Duffy, BCampo, LCampo, other draftees).

More changes to come obviously over the next few months, but will be interesting to see just how different the best 23 looks come next March.

You speak as if trading in players is a slam dunk. Mcgovern, Williams, Cerra, Thomas, Martin. None of them genuine mids or key position, all high salaries and some first round draft picks
Cerra not a genuine mid?

Was ruined by injury this year but a pretty important cog when fit. Clearly our best performing mid first half of '23 when everyone else somehow forgot how to play footy.

I trust Cerra to come out guns blazing next season. The doctor he's going to see this off-season is the same that Yeo and McGovern (the elder) saw last off-season and Yeo put together an awesome year after looking like he was cooked (played 20 games at a very high level after his past 4 years playing 10, 5, 12 and 10 games respectively) and Gov made the AA side after also battling injuries the last few years. Very good track record so far.

Should send our Gov there

I guessed that but didn't want to assume, so left it as it was.

TDK is just further to the point that the top end balance is nigh on perfect. Elite ruck, 2x elite mids, 2x elite forwards, 1x elite KD, spread doesn't get much better than that.

Melbourne won a flag with less. They had two elite key defenders sure, but no elite key forwards.

You need a better class of runner and now pace as the Dees model has been superseded. The Dees did have a class small forward, a lightning quick winger and some burst from stoppage. Their Sparrow/Rivers/Chandler role players are better than our role players too.

With Cody as he turns 18 in January of his draft year, do we have an ability to get him to play with our VFL team for 2026? He's going to have to play seniors somewhere and surely if he commits early enough to be drafted by us we should be able to bring him into our umbrella to begin his preparation. Can't believe they made the rule 18 in the year of the draft, should follow high school rules... you'd have naturally completed year 12 on the year of your draft (if you finished school without re-doing a year).

Further to my post above (post #5,014):-

Isaac Cummings also

If Perryman announced then Houston becoming more likley

Coops93
It's not spin.

just picking up on this data..

Note Sam Walsh is 5th worst kick..(Kennedy is 1st for worst kick inside 50)

Which sort of highlights the point I was trying to make earlier...

It shows its more of a game plan issue rather than the ability of the player..

We as a team long bomb into f50 so it makes sense that two of our mids are in the top 5 for worst kicks into f50.

Isaac Cummings also

If Perryman announced then Houston becoming more likley

Collingwood interested in Perryman

Cumming Sth Aus bound

Our clearance game peaked imo with Dow, Kennedy and Cripps last season.

Cripps is king but Walsh is awful kicking inside 50 too and Hewett lacks hurt factor. Cerra we ran into the ground and now we are acting like Kennedy isn't good enough. In a final where we conceded the first 10 goals our MC thought Kennedy was worth subbing out over Fantasia, Williams, Durdin, Motlop, Cerra, Docherty.....

I dislike our name over structure approach to team selection. Kennedy's perception amongst the fanbase would be a lot better if he actually played mid more often. Carlton has a lot of 3-8 disposal per game c graders who get their preferred role more often than Kennedy did and it was a joke how we ran Cerra into the ground instead. It seems like we learnt nothing from how even Dow in 23 still offered more than Hewett did with a broken hand....

Coops93

We as a team long bomb into f50 so it makes sense that two of our mids are in the top 5 for worst kicks into f50.
Plenty of times this year both Walsh and Kennedy were streaming forward and kicked it to our forwards disadvantage. These were play not long bomb situations.

Crippa was bad last year but really turned it around this season (even on his left)

Coops93

Our forward line had a KPF who barely contested (Curnow) and the worst small forwards in the game. Durdin alone often took up our KPF's space to lead into and often contested them in the air too.

Sam Walsh and Kennedy are average kicks that our structure and coaching made rancid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plenty of times this year both Walsh and Kennedy were streaming forward and kicked it to our forwards disadvantage. These were play not long bomb situations.

Crippa was bad last year but really turned it around this season (even on his left)
yeah, i agree on walsh...can recall lots where his kicks being wayward

not so much kennedy...i just dont recall him having wayward kicks...more that he bombs it long

We are also terrible at halving contests in the forward line and making average/bad kicks look good.

yeah, i agree on walsh...can recall lots where his kicks being wayward

not so much kennedy...i just dont recall him having wayward kicks...more that he bombs it long
The thing is Kennedy is a good kick of the ball, but once CD put out that stat and you were looking for it it really stood out he wasn't kicking it to where the forwards needed it to go.

Coops93

Hack kicks forward have been a known issue for Walsh since his draft year - One of his noted "needs to work on" things in draft reports was impact per disposal, in particular kicks.

His kicking this year was worse than ever, to the point where he was even missing 20m passes to wide open team-mates.

I'm not sure highlighting Walsh helps much.

I assume that getting in Haynes (together with Gov and Weitering) makes Young surplus to requirements?

What do our supporters genuinely feel about this? I donā€™t know much about Haynes. Should we feel put off by his age?

I assume that getting in Haynes (together with Gov and Weitering) makes Young surplus to requirements?

What do our supporters genuinely feel about this? I donā€™t know much about Haynes. Should we feel put off by his age?
Nick Haynes is a good footballer.

My guess that this is meant to be a playing coach situation.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't know much about him either but he turns 33 in May next year.

Hack kicks forward have been a known issue for Walsh since his draft year - One of his noted "needs to work on" things in draft reports was impact per disposal, in particular kicks.

His kicking this year was worse than ever, to the point where he was even missing 20m passes to wide open team-mates.

I'm not sure highlighting Walsh helps much.

If Walsh manages to have a preseason for once I think it'll be less of an issue.

Attitude wise he does himself no favours by demanding the ball when he is in positions where prime Judd and Ablett would struggle to get a good kick off.

So far:
Delisted - Martin, Cuningham, Marchbank
Asked to look elsewhere - Owies, Young, Kennedy

So currently only 2 real changes to our best 23. Need a few more imo. Am hoping our 23 has at least 4 new names to start 2025
Yeah I'm with you. Really only feels like we're scratching the surface at present.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back