Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
Mod Notice:-

Continued from here:-

Continued here:

Just like to thank Aphrodite and the other Carlton mods who started the Bluemours NON Discussion Thread and who have kept it free of chat over the past few years.

It helps so much when you just don't have the time to read through this thread, cheers and great job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love Simmo. All heart and has been my favourite player for years - and I wanted him for captain over Murphs. But if I was to be honest I'd say he will probably finish up this year. Still think Eddie has another year in him for us.
Eddie Betts is a fumbling, chestmark dropping, loses his feet, list clogging 34 year old living on reputation and a vague notion of being a positive influence on 3 indigenous players on our list.....thanks eddie but Carlton needs to move on

00f.jpg

Eddie Betts is a fumbling, chestmark dropping, loses his feet, list clogging 34 year old living on reputation and a vague notion of being a positive influence on 3 indigenous players on our list.....thanks eddie but Carlton needs to move on
That's your opinion and I have mine - which is I completely disagree with you.

I agree that he is past his best but in the absence of other small forwards able to step up in his place, I'm not sure how he can possibly be considered a list clogger.
It's all well & good to point to what may be wrong but in the absence of a meaningful alternative or solution it's a pointless exercise that simply shifts blame from coaches & the list management team to the feet of the individual player.

I must be missing something

When Teague took over, without having Betts in the side, did we not kick enough goals to win 6 of 11?

Is it conceivable that someone else and or a different forward 6 each week may have been more damaging, than having Betts in the side?

Love Eddie, but please no more now

( will probably come out now and kick 12 in the next 3 games)

Simmo is a Carlton champion and is in a way irreplaceable, a f**k’n legend but his time has come we may not like it but time to move on, Love Kruezer he’s past his best imo another Carlton warrior we need to move on, Eddie we need to replace as a small forward but he still does sh*t no one else can do even at his age, trade period will determine, have to find aanother small forward replacement..
E before U
It's what Kreuzer would do.
Hope that helps everyone. :p

I believe so.
Skilled, tough as nails, runs both ways all game, sticks serious tackles, has a football brain, has plenty of mongrel, has balls to take a shot, hits the scoreboard.
A little older than ideal but close enough. May also be a bit of a knob but seems to be liked enough by teammates.
If we get a fair price or better I say we go for it.
Not to mention the important factor that he may actually want to play for us.

Last edited:
Not to mention the important factor that he may actually want to play for us.
This is a valid point.

I suspect there will be a list of 5 or 6 players we make a play for. Work our way from top down but we will be desperate to bring in at least 1 player who would be in our best 5 players.

We will also sniff around the out of contract players who won't cost picks if nothing else than to drive up prices.

Everyone keeps saying we need player x or y.

I reckon we will just work our way down our top list of players that will require trade currency to get across and then we will try to pick up one or two free agents even if they're not absolutely perfect.

We have speed.
Philp, Honey, Fisher, Stocker, Dow.
These boys are very hard to catch - just need to get the ball outside to them without relying on Cripps.

I'd like to see Fisher up the ground a little more because of this very reason.

Definitely not a bad comment. When you continually drop easy mark, the end is usually near. He does put pressure on but when the fundamentals start to fail, you can't take it.

Eddie is a God imo. But let's not kid ourselves. If it was another player of ours dropping as many as he has lately, it would be lamb's to the slaughter on this board. He could easily come out and kick 4 this Tuesday, but there's no denying that the writing is on the wall no matter how we want to sugar coat it.

Agreed, plus the position he plays means he has a limited number of opportunities to impact. He can still pull out a Hail Mary every now and then, but his regression has been pretty clear.

Adelaide supporters were saying similar things in his final year there too. Mentally he is switched on, his defensive pressure and anticipation are still there, but his output has certainly dropped.

The club absolutely needs to keep him on as a coach in 2021 though.

Shiels-No great loss
Kelly-Perhaps
Coniglio-Jury’s out
Gaff-Perhaps

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m actually glad we missed on Coniglio watching him this year. Not worth 1 million per year, and not really a point of difference player.

I think he’s essentially Marc Murphy circa 2013. Still a quality player and strong midfield contributor, but his very best years are probably behind him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do people actually expect or want us to get rid of all 4 of murph, Simmo, Eddie and Kreuz this year? It would be horrifically irresponsible list management imo.

Weve got the 14th oldest list this year, and without doing the maths I would suggest that we’d go almost immediately back down to being the youngest, and often least experienced team in the comp. Leadership has appeared to weigh heavily on Crippa and Doc this year, the solution isn’t to remove nearly all of the other experienced players out of the club.

Experience alone doesn’t win games, but it takes a hell of a lot of the burden off Crippa and co. Not just on field either. At training, talking to media, etc.
I know we all love Walsh, weiters and some of the other young guys but to give them the keys to the car with very little senior support is fraught with danger.

I could see this year being the end for 1 or 2 of the 4. Any more and I fear we leave too much to too few. Let the young guys develop out of the spotlight

Do people actually expect or want us to get rid of all 4 of murph, Simmo, Eddie and Kreuz this year? It would be horrifically irresponsible list management imo.

Weve got the 14th oldest list this year, and without doing the maths I would suggest that we’d go almost immediately back down to being the youngest, and often least experienced team in the comp. Leadership has appeared to weigh heavily on Crippa and Doc this year, the solution isn’t to remove nearly all of the other experienced players out of the club.

Experience alone doesn’t win games, but it takes a hell of a lot of the burden off Crippa and co. Not just on field either. At training, talking to media, etc.
I know we all love Walsh, weiters and some of the other young guys but to give them the keys to the car with very little senior support is fraught with danger.

I could see this year being the end for 1 or 2 of the 4. Any more and I fear we leave too much to too few. Let the young guys develop out of the spotlight
Depends heavily on who we replace them with.

Swap the following:
Betts for Papley
Simmo for Williams
Murphy for Wines or Viney
Kreuzer for a project ruckman

then overall we are not much worse experience wise and have younger players who will likely be part of a concerted finals push for the next 3-8 years.

A fit Kreuzer is hands down our number 1 ruck - offers more than Pitto and TDK still too green. Eddie occupies a position where, to be frank, we are severely lacking in players to fill the role. People are quick to put him out to pasture, but as our second highest goal kicker and leading our goal assists, he offers more than being in the side than being out. With our list, I feel that Murphy and Simmo are the two players than can be more easily replaced.

I reckon we need to move on from rubbish post like yours.

Swap the following:
Betts for Papley
Simmo for Williams

then overall we are not much worse experience wise and have younger players who will likely be part of a concerted finals push for the next 3-8 years.
Replace fisher for Papley not Betts

Swap the following:
Betts for Papley
Simmo for Williams

Wines is contracted till 2022 and Port will want too much for him. Viney would be the better option to target out of those two since he's out of contract and an rfa.

If we did end up with Wines, then highly unlikely we'd also have enough trading commodities to also satisfy the Swans for Papley.

Eddie Betts is a fumbling, chestmark dropping, loses his feet, list clogging 34 year old living on reputation and a vague notion of being a positive influence on 3 indigenous players on our list.
Absolutely embarrassing rubbish ... opinion or not, it is completely incorrect
.....thanks eddie but Carlton needs to move on
Agreed

I must be missing something

When Teague took over, without having Betts in the side, did we not kick enough goals to win 6 of 11?

Is it conceivable that someone else and or a different forward 6 each week may have been more damaging, than having Betts in the side?

Love Eddie, but please no more now

( will probably come out now and kick 12 in the next 3 games)
The key to that is that our list management team recruited him & the coaching staff keep selecting him - any derision should surely go their way?
It's one thing for the club to get caught up in the romanticism of Simmo or Murph seeing some success before their careers come to a close, it's another to actively recruit someone that had given every indication of being on his last legs..

Omg ricky going all in. I love the courage people around here can get very very .....
I appreciate all rumours. Just don’t think we would be stupid enough to give any of our talls for paps
Here’s one for you FaitKouta. One of our Rookies is set to debut. And he’s not Rookie A listed. Shhhh don’t tell anyone!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back