Bluemour Melting Pot XXIX

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see so many similarities between us and Richmond in 2016.

They went into 2016 expecting to make finals. They finished on 8 wins, missed finals, fell apart at the end of the year and lost in the last round by >100 points.

Things looked so bad, there were calls to sack the coach.

Sound familiar?

Well, they kept the coach, stuck to the plan, added the missing pieces in Prestia and Nankervis and won the flag in '17.

It's uncanny how similar the situation is to us now.

I think we also need to stick to the plan, pick up some finishing pieces and we also might win a flag by '17.....

:cool:
Hadn't they played finals 2015?

They went into 2016 expecting to make finals. They finished on 8 wins, missed finals, fell apart at the end of the year and lost in the last round by >100 points.

Sound familiar?

Well, they kept the coach, stuck to the plan, added the missing pieces in Prestia and Nankervis and won the flag in '17.

I think we also need to stick to the plan, pick up some finishing pieces and we also might win a flag by '17.....

Except Tigs played finals 13, 14, 15. It can change quickly but for us if we do everything right that is 2 or 3 years. So the next coach needs 40 games before we can judge. If the club botches assistant coaching appointments, gives away draft picks or let's the current ceo make football department appointments, then it is a death spiral of 10 plus years

Sound familiar?

Agree how similar we look to the ‘16 Tiges. They had a 113 point thrashing in their last game. We should turn it around very quickly. But a new head coach is required, I just think Teague has lost the players now. And I’m not sure that will ever come back with a few new assistants around him. And if Clarkson wants to come, we would be crazy not to.

I’m a big fan of what Lyon has done as a coach and I think he would be great at driving standards and implementing a good defence, but it’s clear why, he was unable to win a premiership, his teams were not good scorers.

In 2009, with the Saints, they were clearly the best team and he had his best points tally of his career, they were the 4th best offence.

2010, when they were a good side, the 8th best offence.

2015, finished top, the 10th best offence.

They arent the numbers of a premiership winning coach, compare that to Clarkson led teams, Ross would of won a flag, of not for the bounce of the ball and a Scarlett toe poke, maybe, but Clarkson could have had another using the same logic.

Theres a reason, one will go down as the best coach of all time and the other won’t have won a premiership.

But Lyon didn’t have a forward line of Charlie, Harry, Mitch, Jack, Martin, Owies, Honey, Durdin etc

At Freo he had a forward line of Pavlich, Walters, Ballantyne, Mayne, Sutcliffe and Zac Clarke.

But in the 2013 Grand Final Pav was 32 by then and Walters was 22 - so neither at their peak.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m a big fan of what Lyon has done as a coach and I think he would be great at driving standards and implementing a good defence, but it’s clear why, he was unable to win a premiership, his teams were not good scorers.

In 2009, with the Saints, they were clearly the best team and he had his best points tally of his career, they were the 4th best offence.

2010, when they were a good side, the 8th best offence.

2015, finished top, the 10th best offence.

They arent the numbers of a premiership winning coach, compare that to Clarkson led teams, Ross would of won a flag, of not for the bounce of the ball and a Scarlett toe poke, maybe, but Clarkson could have had another using the same logic.

Theres a reason, one will go down as the best coach of all time and the other won’t have won a premiership.
Hard to know how Lyon would drive it this time around. A dour team with all creativity knocked out of them would mean another year of hell for supporters. However, I can't believe he'd go with that.

2 grand finals ahead in red time final quarter, one was crueled by the worst bounce you've ever seen
The other had a goal given that hit the post.

One driving factor for me, that moves the needle in his direction is, he hasn't won a flag and is desperate for one.
I'd take either, dont get me wrong.

But in the end, you have to ask yourself, who hungers a flag with us out of the 2?
forget the past

There’s no way to really know or measure who is hungrier, we all will have our opinions, If it was a choice, I want the better coach.

There’s no way to really know or measure who is hungrier, we all will have our opinions, If it was a choice, I want the better coach.
You're right, but we're carlton and we've learned nothing from our past mistakes , so we'll go the malthouse route

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But Lyon didn’t have a forward line of Charlie, Harry, Mitch, Jack, Martin, Owies, Honey, Durdin etc

At Freo he had a forward line of Pavlich, Walters, Ballantyne, Mayne, Sutcliffe and Zac Clarke.

But in the 2013 Grand Final Pav was 32 by then and Walters was 22 - so neither at their peak.

Other than Charlie or Harry, I’m not sure any of the other names will excite anyone, you’ve listed Gov who can’t get on the park, a Cat B rookie, a rookie and a kid who’s played 1 game.

I go back and forth on it.
I just hope it's Clarko but seems unlikely.

Pav had an incredibly long peak...

... Just like the one in the middle of his face ;)

Hodge was a master at leadership, we are a club who's leaders completely lack leadership skills and qualities. If anything he could work with our leadership group and work on their skills in this area. One of our biggest problem is that we lack leadership and strong driving voice out on the field, that's why our standards drop all the time. Hodge would be one of the best gets for our club if he could pass on his knowledge in leadership to our leadership group.

O'Brien looks to have improved 0% in 4 years

Another LoB bash. He actually had 20 possessions and going at 84% effective disposals.

Not sure how you can target one player who’s played 3 or 4 games in 2 years as “the sole player to bag” when the team gets done by 95 points.

Try giving the kid a break.

Last edited:
Hodge was a master at leadership, we are a club who's leaders completely lack leadership skills and qualities. If anything he could work with our leadership group and work on their skills in this area. One of our biggest problem is that we lack leadership and strong driving voice out on the field, that's why our standards drop all the time. Hodge would be one of the best gets for our club if he could pass on his knowledge in leadership to our leadership group.
Whilst I agree on how good a leader he was, I wonder how good or effective he would be teaching it (if you can teach it at all). From a assistant coaching point of view, he would be an awesome get.

Another LoB bash. He actually had 20 possessions and going at 84% effective disposals.

Not sure how you can target one player who’s played 3 or 4 games in 2 years as “the sole player to bag” when the team gets done by 95 points.

Trying giving the kid a break.

it’s only because Dow has been given more praise

need to turn on someone.

(he wasn’t out worst yesterdy)

As mentioned into Hodge but trying to lure Clarkson, had contact with him which is well known.

Footy department is in for a shock, massive changes, the review was damming that's why not being released.

But also talking to Pyke and a few others, Russell is safe.

Conversation with Lyon for director of football, not sure what that is about

As mentioned into Hodge but trying to lure Clarkson, had contact with him which is well known.

Footy department is in for a shock, massive changes, the review was damming that's why not being released.

But also talking to Pyke and a few others, Russell is safe.

Conversation with Lyon for director of football, not sure what that is about

Thanks FB.
Is Hodge being sought as an assistant WITH Clarko, or as HC himself?
Also - is Lyon still a candidate for HC or solely as DoF? Could there be a small chance of Clarko as HC and Ross as HoF? A lot of egos in that group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back