Bluemour Melting Pot XXVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly: This is a triple-compromised draft. It's very unpredictable to start with beyond the top 3-5 players. It's impossible to predict even further because most of the players haven't played football in 15 months. And it's stacked with talent that is F/S or Academy linked. Pick 8 holds very little value to me this year. I'm much, much more furious about giving up pick 30 (that's a different post).

I do wish people would stop with this compromised draft bollocks.

Every draft is unpredictable after 3-5 selections.

Pick 8 holds just as much value as any other year given f/s and academy players existed in drafts before this one and were never draftable by other clubs anyway in reality.

Pick 8 will still give a team this year access to the 8th player that is available to all sides.

So it's value isn't diminished in any way by the draft order.

Lastly it's not about drafting a player with it, it was about getting maximum value as a traded commodity I terms of draft capital for it.

We didn't achieve that.

He'll be a bit undersized but that doesn't mean he can't fill in and do a job to cover injuries.

People didn't think much of Richmond's KPDs outside Rance, but the likes of Grimes/Broad have been able to get it done despite being undersized.
Port's KPDs are all quite short around 193cm even their main ones like Jonas and Clurey.
Some of Sydney's have been doing it for years like Rampe.

Marchbank doesn't have the size and body work of other undersized defenders

Port just added to their deficiency, Aliir, despite their defenders having better body work

Port just added to their deficiency, Aliir, despite their defenders having better body work
He'd be a similar size to someone like Riewoldt but wouldn't be quick enough off the mark to go with him.
Marchbank has more in common with Docherty than he does Jones/Weitering IMO.

You sure?

EmkjKZnU4AAg8ov
Ha ha. So funny. This morning on TR he had:
1) JC
2) Saad
3) Higgins
4) 2MP
5) Zac Williams

Find out how Matt Rendell says its & assume its the opposite

He does mangle the language.

I also had a laugh yesterday afternoon with the manager Tom Petroro trying to explain the rules around Free Agency offers matching those offers (e.g Jeremy Cameron). It's not that difficult too understand but Dwayne clearly struggled to grasp it.

I'm sure he failed Year 8 maths and the more I listen to him I can see Dwayne is like Sam Newman - well spoken and sounds articulate but actually not that sharp.

I do wish people would stop with this compromised draft bollocks.

Every draft is unpredictable after 3-5 selections.

Pick 8 holds just as much value as any other year given f/s and academy players existed in drafts before this one and were never draftable by other clubs anyway in reality.

Pick 8 will still give a team this year access to the 8th player that is available to all sides.

So it's value isn't diminished in any way by the draft order.

Lastly it's not about drafting a player with it, it was about getting maximum value as a traded commodity I terms of draft capital for it.

We didn't achieve that.

No, this year is more compromised than next years.

- Significantly impacted by COVID-19 - recruiters are largely going in blind here compared to prior years and next year (hopefully).
- There are significant changes to the academy system, so future picks are more valuable.

In addition, plenty of recruiters/list managers do not rate this draft past the first few picks.

I'd rather pick 8 next year than this year.

Should take what we can get for LOB, nowhere near our best 25

I have sizeable doubts on LOB making the grade, but I wouldn't be giving him away.

One poster suggested giving him up for an 8-pick upgrade. At that point, I'd rather take my chances on LOB...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon would still have trumped us either way I would assume. We do not live in a perfect world unfortunately.

Nope. Two reasons:

1. They'd only trump us with one club. If Bris agree to split 8 and * beat us, then we still have Cats, Tigers, Pies and Saints we could've worked something out with.

2. 8 + 30 > 7 + 48, so actually, we did have a stronger hand if we wanted to go that path.

Okay, so list size numbers are in.

Minimum of 37 and max of 44.

Am I correct that - as of now - we have 44 on the list (rookies included)?

This would mean that by adding Gibbons to the senior list and needing to add 2 x draftees, we'll need to cut 2 x players.

Who are our unsigned - Kennedy, Polson, Moore?

Latter two go for me, sadly.

Oh really? If you value goal-kicking from your attacking HBF, then Tuohy's 1 every 3 games rates fairly well against Saad's 1 in 10 games. Apart from that, they're pretty damn close.
View attachment 1009134
Yep close unless you count disposal efficiency, bounces and one percentage as important.

Stats tell part of the picture but watching games tells more. I reckon that stats would tell us that Jimmy plunkett was an excellent footballer. He wasn't though.

Not sure if your modus operandi is to downplay saad or paint the picture that we overpaid for him but think that you will be pleasantly surprised next year.

I think we should trade LOB to Coll for a future 2nd.

Can’t see him getting much game time next year (barring injuries) and don’t see where he actually fits in. Wing is his best position however will sit behind all of:
Walsh
Williams
Setters
Newnes
Murphy
Fisher
SPS
Cunningham
Gibbons

He’ll also be behind
Dow
Marchbabk
Williamson
Philp
Kemp who could be used on the wing at times.

Not sure his value goes up next year.

Do you see Marchbank as mainly a defender with ability to play wing? Are they the strings to his bow?

A player with his marking ability, why would he not work playing as a third tall forward/ruck chop out type?

Read an article this morning, think from SEN< good to see they suggest SPS can go back to midfield now we have SaAD
Saads manager said after discussions with Teague it looks like Saads role will be further up the field, utilising his attacking game more. If so I don't know if that moves anyone out of the back 6

I think we should trade LOB to Coll for a future 2nd.

I'd do that deal.

I reckon the Pies are ready to drop down the ladder a bit and I also reckon it would be important to gain more trade capital for next year as well. Having two 2nd rounders in a stronger draft would be a pretty good bargaining chip to combine for another first.

Two 2021 1st + 2022 1st and we can really target an A+ grade player.

Okay, so list size numbers are in.

Minimum of 37 and max of 44.

Am I correct that - as of now - we have 44 on the list (rookies included)?

This would mean that by adding Gibbons to the senior list and needing to add 2 x draftees, we'll need to cut 2 x players.

Who are our unsigned - Kennedy, Polson, Moore?

Latter two go for me, sadly.

Yes, we need to cut 2 out of uncontracted seniors Kennedy, Macreadie, Polson.

Rookies without a contract are Moore, Phillips and Cat B Owies (who I'm sure we'll keep).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back