Bluemour Melting Pot XXVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the romance of draft picks is strong in the thoughts of many, myself included, given it is what we have been conditioned to look forward to every year.

Good outcome overall. Team gains two extremely good football players who slot immediately into the starting 18.

My main issues moving forward:

- Somehow miraculously getting Charlie Curnow onto a football field as a participant in an AFL match
- One or more of Dow, LOB, Stocker becoming respectable AFL players
- Playing Cuningham in a position which allows him to exert influence on an AFL match (such as the midfield)
- Replacing some holes in our list moving forward: KPD reserve (will Macreadie survive the cull and do something with his career?) and small forward, in particular
This. I was the same, prior to this off-season. Supporters from West Coast, Geelong etc don’t care about what goes out, particularly draft selections. They care about bringing in established players that fill a need. Pick 8 or 15 or 25.. it doesn’t matter to them. As you said, we are conditioned to place so much value on draft selections because we are historically big players at the draft, and two, because we have failed to draft anyone of AFL quality outside those early selections (with one or two exceptions). Let’s enjoy that we were in a position to bring in established talent, and let’s be excited about who our new list management team can identify after the first round.

Getting Fogarty for nothing doesn't really change the fact we just gave Essendon a free leg up to Cup 17 by overpaying for a HBF. Picks 6, 7, 8 is a really strong foundation to rebuild from and they already have half a team, we have set them up to be a contender in the not too distant future IMO.
But by getting Saad it’s gonna mean we’ll get there first.

Getting Fogarty for nothing doesn't really change the fact we just gave Essendon a free leg up to Cup 17 by overpaying for a HBF. Picks 6, 7, 8 is a really strong foundation to rebuild from and they already have half a team, we have set them up to be a contender in the not too distant future IMO.
So your more worried about Essendon succeeding than us doing the same, if we gave them 8 and got a 2nd back then you still wouldn’t be happy based on what your saying as it’s all about them.

They need a lot more than what they will get from this trade and draft period, there 2 key backs are both 30+, they have no KF except Wright, they have lost there 2 best half backs, they are looking like not getting Dunkley and are pushing shit up hill to get Caldwell because DoDo is an idiot, they will end up paying Fantasia to not play footy next year the way that is going and you think they are going to be pushing for 17, spare me.

So has DC but he hasn't got any midfield minutes since he was quite good in there, you have to ask the question why? I am not sold on Williams as a full time mid at this stage.

The difference with us Brisbane is they went after a grade proven kids in beams and the Neale, we haven't besides cogs who we didn't get.

The difference is also that we have Cripps. Have drafted genuine key forwards.
Spent our top picks on Weiters and Walsh while they got Schache and Raynor.

Neale and Cameron were fantastic pick ups for them, but they needed them. We needed Williams and Saad, and paid a lot less for them than the Bears.

Any chance we combine picks #32 and #38 (or whatever we have) for a cheeky upgrade into the 20s, use 78 to grab a project player and pick up Gibbons upgrade with a 6th round pick?

Or do we think there is more propsects of taking two pots at mid range kids this year given they could be anything due to no juniors in Vic.

I think the romance of draft picks is strong in the thoughts of many, myself included, given it is what we have been conditioned to look forward to every year.

Good outcome overall. Team gains two extremely good football players who slot immediately into the starting 18.

My main issues moving forward:

- Somehow miraculously getting Charlie Curnow onto a football field as a participant in an AFL match
- One or more of Dow, LOB, Stocker becoming respectable AFL players
- Playing Cuningham in a position which allows him to exert influence on an AFL match (such as the midfield)
- Replacing some holes in our list moving forward: KPD reserve (will Macreadie survive the cull and do something with his career?) and small forward, in particular

Yep I mean the point and excitement of the draft is the potential of drafting players who will become gun AFL players...we got proven, mature guns instead because we're finally attractive enough to entice them to join us. What's the issue, especially when our list has plenty of youth and we had the cap space?

We've built the core of our team through the draft like the premiership teams always do, and are now looking to supplement and fill holes through trade/FA, as premiership teams do.

Brisbane traded first round picks for Cameron & Neale before they had made finals...and those 2 have helped propel them to a top 4 team.
Richmond were slammed for the Prestia trade after finishing 12th...they won the premiership the year after.

Essendon need more than a leg up. They have no credible forwards outside of AMT. Their only two KPDs of note have two years left at best with no quality coming through behind them. One rookie ruckman and a hotch potch midfield.

With luck we will take their only star quality mid next year.

I'd rather be in NMs position, at least in terms of playing list.

No disrespect, but DC is a dumb footballer who struggles to read the unfolding play

Beams cost JDG and Crips, so that was a fail

Neale was a great get, but collective cost is more than Saad and Williams combined
Adding Williams to that who was a Free agent doesn't really change much, you would expect a premier midfielder to cost a lot more then Saad trade wise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well the Roos are being the Roos.. i guess its not as outrageous as some of their other offers in the past.

And Norf were convinced they couldn’t attract targets.

Essendon need more than a leg up. They have no credible forwards outside of AMT. Their only two KPDs of note have two years left at best with no quality coming through behind them. One rookie ruckman and a hotch potch midfield.

With luck we will take their only star quality mid next year.

I'd rather be in NMs position, at least in terms of playing list.
If we paid 8 for Saad then Merrett is going to cost 2021 + 2022 1sts + a player like Cripps, just forget that pipe dream and stay way away from dodo where Austin was comfortably outmatched.

I tend to agree. I think LOB's key problem though is that he's not comfortable in the heat of the kitchen, in AFL. It is unforgiving and you can't have trepidation. I think he feels the heat even when there isn't much, whereas good players feel little heat when there is plenty.

Can he overcome this?....maybe. He's only young. But it is more likely he won't imho.

I bet LOB is a magnificent kick on the track......but in the heat of matchday at AFL level, i think his mind speeds up, when good player's minds speed down.

I'd trade him if there is anything semi reasonable available in return.

What LOB needs is experience at the top level - he's not temperamentally soft, but he got through juniors on his athleticism

Adding Williams to that who was a Free agent doesn't really change much, you would expect a premier midfielder to cost a lot more then Saad trade wise.

See, this seems to be the sticking point for you, which I get, as I have already stated we paid overs

Now, look at the sum of all parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back