Bluemour Melting Pot XXVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Actually in disbelief at the melts in here.

We hit the draft 5 years in a row. We have a large number of 18-21 year olds waiting in the wings. The most of any club. We filled two areas of need, while also addressing speed - our greatness weakness. We added two legitimate B+/A-graders to our list.

Yes it would’ve been a dream to also add another premium midfielder, but at what cost? Was Oliver ever on the table? Merrett? No.

The only hole in our list is a legitimate small forward, and I’m confident we’ll address this at the draft.

Whether you are comfortable or not with Saad’s value, the bottom line is that we have significantly improved our list this off-season. If you’re not happy with that, then I’m at a serious loss.

Agree with 90%

These are where I think you've got it wrong:

1. Speed being our greatest weakness. It's one of our weaknesses, but not the greatest... that'd be kicking efficiency, particularly our i50 delivery.

2. The only hole in our list is a small forward... strongly disagree that's the ONLY hole. Definitely lacking an A grade mid and it's a more pressing concern than any other area on our list. We need at least 1 more A grade mid (hoping it's Oliver next year), we need a quality small forward, we need a swing ruck/forward and we need KPD depth.

Why are we looking to move LOB on when we have the likes of Moore, Phillios and Polson on the list? Based on the media?
No one want's to trade for these guys. If we can squeeze a value pick from the filth worth considering. bundle a few up tomorrow and see what is offered.

He seems fine. He’s expressing his view, and very well I might add. Why don’t you try refute the contents of his post rather than the poster? What do you disagree with specifically?
I don’t really need too. Plenty here have already posted a sensible response that I couldn’t come up with at the time.
But expressing your views by using “schooled and being played like a fiddle” doesn’t sit well with me as sensible.
We had a good player that wanted to come to Carlton and will fill a need for us. We payed overs for him. Not massively though. Saad now walks into our club with the knowledge that we are going to look after him and not make him sit through some bullshit pre season or national draft scenario.
Happy players are better players.
Now get pickled🤣

Nothing to suggest from the statement that Doc won't be right to go round 1, got it early. Robbie Gray had similar last year in the preseason and was good to go round 1.

I'd completely forgotten about Gray having that last year. Good point though.

I disagree with the premise that this period is part of the competition. I believe it is purely a transactional opportunity to improve lists. There is no imperial measurement of winners and losers, just subjective analysis of transactions, players, LMs, PMs, players...
The only imperial, bottom line evidence is played out on the ground, not on Zoom or in boardrooms. We got what we needed, done.

It’s not even metric...

It’s relative value.

Did we use the resources we have to get what we needed ?

Bloody hell. Actually had to do some work today and come back to 40 pages of melts.

We might have slightly overpaid today, but it's not too bad. Will pay off in the long run.

Saad was never getting to us through the PSD. Just would have never happened. North would have definitely takem him.

If slightly overpaying now says to gun players wanting to come to Carlton in the next few years "you nominate Carlton and they will get the deal done" then thats fine.

Would have been a aweful look failing to get Saad done.

It's done now and he is in Navy.

We've just added 2 top dozen players to our club.

Onwards and upwards for the Baggers in 2021

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we are now making a late run at Caldwell, partly because I rate him but mostly just to stick it to *

I feel like there might be a pick swap somewhere tomorrow based on what Austin said on 3AW.

If Fog comes good then could turn out to be a massive massive trade period for our club.

Feel like I'm the only one excited.

We've ****en nabbed the best free agent on the market this year.

Target Saad. Got the early nom. Then got the deal done. Another professional at the club who will work hard and show the kids the way.

Wanted to add to our midfield and small forward depth. Have identified someone with a high ceiling and got the deal done cheap.

Kept our 2021 draft hand in tack to fill our last pieces next year.

Get up and about you miserable lot

Land all targets without using any picks ? How is that even possible though ?
I've previously suggested that we should have looked into using our 2nd rounder on that, but the Geelong trade ruled that out from our 2020 picks. Don't agree that Saad is worth a top 15 pick in this or any draft.

80% disposal efficiency he can't miss that many though .

It's almost like defenders get easy kicks out of defence when sides sit their zones deeper down the field to prevent long kicks... kicking efficiency also defines a kick over 40 metres that doesn't result in a direct turnover as an efficient kick.

But you're talking about disposal efficiency specifically, from a running player that handballs almost as much as he kicks despite having an outside role in transition play, because he knows his limitations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back