Bluemour Melting Pot XXX - Feeling Hot, Hot, Hot! 🔥 🔥 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came out of a meeting.

Have we:
* nabbed Clarko
* sacked Lloyd and Liddle
* traded Cottrell and next year's 4th rounder for Bailey Dale , Tom Papley and Clayton Oliver, plus picks 1 and 2
yet?

We have a depth GWS player rumoured to be interested in joining us.

If we can play JSOS in the ruck, Riccardi can do it too.

It's all dependent on the opposition. There are a lot of sides whose "second ruck" is a medium forward, and you'd expect Riccardi to be able to hold his own there. Against Melbourne, who run the Gawn/Jackson duo, he might struggle a bit.

The Darling comparison isn't a bad one, though Riccardi certainly doesn't have the same raw strength when it comes to a stationary body contest.

Jack Riewoldt might be a closer point of reference. Not overly tall, quick or strong, but not too far off in any of those categories. But makes up for it with good positioning and smart use of the body, as well as being willing to lead hard into space.
We will kill JSos if we continue to play him there, he was great at ground level but we suffered badly in the air at times.

Not if he’s a good operator and can achieve a respectable result.
Coaches are not untouchable nor protected? if they’re tumbling along with no clear direction after 45 / 50 games & poor results, it’s the boards due diligence to ask questions and replace if necessary.
Poor performance is untenable in any sport.

Yep. David Teague would still be the Carlton head coach for 2022 if he wasn’t shit at being a head coaching. Has nothing to do with our next, 100% better (Lyon, Scott, Buckley are all better) head coach.

Come in, get results, make Finals, your job is safe. Go backwards from year to year (6-5, 7-10, 8-14 is going backwards), no game plan, totally expressionless in the coaches box, good bye.

One of the reason I want Ross in there atm is to start afresh.

Set high standards & follow me to Finals.
Follow the rules or you won’t be picked in the best 22. Simple!

Get on with it

BTW - we can’t afford to get rid of players like MCG, we need all the talent we have, but he needs to follow the Boss or stay in the twos

Scott went to the North board, 18 months prior and told them, they needed to rejuvenate the list, they declined and topped up further on older players while cutting a number of younger players

any idea if he would be interested in coaching again ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe, would be worried about clearances and workload of TDK though.

Circling back to the point at hand though - if JSOS can make a fist of it, then I reckon Riccardi could pick up some slack as well. He's a good size and has a reasonable jump on him, and certainly has more strength in his frame than JSOS. Some relief rucks might give him a bit of trouble, but there'd be others who he'd actually have an advantage over.

Are you arguing you wouldn't bother with Jones if his VFL resurgence happened this year? What is it about being a middle of the table side that means we stop experimenting and give up on trying to extract the most of our playing group?
I am arguing that the comparison made between Jones in 2014 and McGovern in 2021 is not an apt one, because of list circumstances. In 2017, Weitering (22 games), Marchbank (16 games), Macreadie (8 games), Rowe (9 games), plus third talls in Plowman (21 games) and White (11 games) (courtesy of Sharks On A Plane ); we came last on the ladder, Macreadie, Marchbank all spent significant time that season injured, White and Rowe were on their last legs. Now, we have a top tier first and second level AFL defender in Weitering and Jones; we have McDonald, Marchbank, Kemp, Williamson; even if you would like to dispute some to all of those names, even in disputing them you are recognising that the list situations are different.

The problem is not with experimenting. The problem is with a 700 thousand dollar contract that even if what is being proposed succeeds is what is being paid to a second KPD. Either renegotiate the contract size to be more commensurate with the position (and risk gaining the reputation for not honouring your contracts) or seek to trade him whilst paying half to 60% of it to get someone to bite for a perennially injured player.

Mitch's issue is and has always been his inability to get out on the park. If he can't get his body right, there's no conversation to be had. I'm cautiously optimistic now that Russell has finally got his way and worked Mitch into decent shape but I keep expecting his hammies to go twang every time he moves faster than a job.

For those calling him lazy, his latest injury came about after a brilliant chase down tackle. At one point v GWS, he sprinted 50m at full speed (as he's bloody quick once he gets going) just to put pressure on the man on the mark. Hoping things have clicked for him, but again, nothing else matters if he can't stay fit.
I hope that things work out for him. If he comes on and forms a role within the ones at Carlton, I have no issue and I'd be willing to admit I was wrr... I was wrr...

But I'm trying to look at this from a holistic perspective: you have a list of 45, and you have an amount of list positions to apportion to KPP across the front and back halves. You have a certain amount of money you're allowed to spend per season, and you have a player who is worth almost double the median player salary, has only played just above half of the games they could've, and has not demonstrated above par AFL performance more than once.

That is not an acceptable situation, but it gets worse depending on how we react from here. Paying 700 thousand for a KPD who is not the first KPD or inside the top 5 for his position is not a good situation, either; you can get an acceptable quality second defender for 400-450 thousand a season.

We need to find a way to turn this current issue into a plus as soon as possible. If he comes on as a forward or a defender, great; he's only worth 700 thousand as a forward, a B+ level midfielder, or if he's top 5 in his position as a defender.

We have three seasons to work it out.

Last edited:
I am arguing that the comparison made between Jones in 2014 and McGovern in 2021 is not an apt one, because of list circumstances. In 2015, we had Rowe and Matthew Watson; that's it. Now, we have a top tier first and second level AFL defender in Weitering and Jones; we have McDonald, Marchbank, Kemp, Williamson; even if you would like to dispute some to all of those names, even in disputing them you are recognising that the list situations are different.

The problem is not with experimenting. The problem is with a 700 thousand dollar contract that even if what is being proposed succeeds is what is being paid to a second KPD. Either renegotiate the contract size to be more commensurate with the position (and risk gaining the reputation for not honouring your contracts) or seek to trade him whilst paying half to 60% of it to get someone to bite for a perennially injured player.

I hope that things work out for him. If he comes on and forms a role within the ones at Carlton, I have no issue and I'd be willing to admit I was wrr... I was wrr...

But I'm trying to look at this from a holistic perspective: you have a list of 45, and you have an amount of list positions to apportion to KPP across the front and back halves. You have a certain amount of money you're allowed to spend per season, and you have a player who is worth almost double the median player salary, has only played just above half of the games they could've, and has not demonstrated above par AFL performance more than once.

That is not an acceptable situation, but it gets worse depending on how we react from here. Paying 700 thousand for a KPD who is not the first KPD or inside the top 5 for his position is not a good situation, either; you can get an acceptable quality second defender for 400-450 thousand a season.

We need to find a way to turn this current issue into a plus as soon as possible. If he comes on as a forward or a defender, great; he's only worth 700 thousand as a forward, a B+ level midfielder, or if he's top 5 in his position as a defender.

We have three seasons to work it out.

Matthew Watson eh Cringle

Can we play all of
McKay
Curnow
Riccardi
Jsos
TDK
2nd Ruck
*McGovern

We have little forward pressure now....

Better question. Are we always going to have all of them fit at the same time? Key stat - the amount of games McKay and CC have played together.

With our injury history, we'll be lucky if we have more than 3 available at any one time
Better question. Are we always going to have all of them fit at the same time? Key stat - the amount of games McKay and CC have played together.
Good points again 👍

Did Barrass blow his load early the other day?
FC was pretty tame.
Lloyd and Liddle still at the club.

The question is, for how long? I reckon both will be off for "better opportunities" soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back