Bluemour XXXV

Remove this Banner Ad

IIRC Bailey Smith was OCD with professionalism as a draftee; strictly monitored his fitness, weight, diet, sleep etc. Didn't touch alcohol.

Maybe he has lost some of that hyper-focus now that he is a celebrity.

Not saying footballers can't have lives outside footy. And its possible that you can maintain professionalism and an Instagram career.

But there is a risk that his professionalism was peaking (pun not intended. OK, maybe a little) as a draftee. And that might explain why his career has plateaued a bit.

Mind you, he was fantastic late 2021 and in 2022 and still solid this year. So I think there's a bit of unjustified 'overpaid spud' hyperbole at play.

BF14, I respectfully disagree, I think we need more players that are dynamic and have some pace especially in the centre square.

Even when chock full of confidence in the backend of the season our failure to spread quickly is the reason why our ball movement is ordinary and mid range, and that’s because we are well overstocked for players that are below average for leg speed and rely on brutal footy to win the contest but lack sparkle and consistent overlap outside of there.

2 firsts would do it, doesn’t matter where they are in the first round if you get the player to nominate you as a club.
Last 2 years have been about getting our cap in order, and if Soapy’s intel is spot on we are in a great position moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
BF14, I respectfully disagree, I think we need more players that are dynamic and have some pace especially in the centre square.

Even when chock full of confidence in the backend of the season our failure to spread quickly is the reason why our ball movement is ordinary and mid range, and that’s because we are well overstocked for players that are below average for leg speed and rely on brutal footy to win the contest but lack sparkle and consistent overlap outside of there.

2 firsts would do it, doesn’t matter where they are in the first round if you get the player to nominate you as a club.
Last 2 years have been about getting our cap in order, and if Soapy’s intel is spot on we are in a great position moving forward.

Imo Smith would be a great get but think the better option is Hugh McCluggage as a Free Agent at the end of 2024.

Our cap should be really good come the end of next year and McCluggage in Navy Blue should be a priority.

If we can bring in 2-3 kids this year to add to last years crop, the Campo twins next year along with McCluggage, we should have built a launching pad at premierships for years to come.

Tyson Stengle is a unrestricted free agent too after being delisted earlier in his career.

Imo Smith would be a great get but think the better option is Hugh McCluggage as a Free Agent at the end of 2024.

Our cap should be really good come the end of next year and McCluggage in Navy Blue should be a priority.

If we can bring in 2-3 kids this year to add to last years crop, the Campo twins next year along with McCluggage, we should have built a launching pad at premierships for years to come.
I guess the counter argument is that Smith might be easier to get out of Footscray, despite not being a free agent like McCluggage. The Scottish Suitace is quite different to most of the other Brisbane mids, & I imagine he'll be offered a significant contract to re-sign/extend.

Brisbane likely finish 2024 at the point end of the ladder again, so would force a trade rather than accept a single compensation pick in the high teens, possibly even as late as early 20s depending on the number of first round father-sons, northern academy bids, & band 1 compensation picks. So the FA vs trade aspect becomes a moot point.

I guess the counter argument is that Smith might be easier to get out of Footscray, despite not being a free agent like McCluggage. The Scottish Suitace is quite different to most of the other Brisbane mids, & I imagine he'll be offered a significant contract to re-sign/extend.

Brisbane likely finish 2024 at the point end of the ladder again, so would force a trade rather than accept a single compensation pick in the high teens, possibly even as late as early 20s depending on the number of first round father-sons, northern academy bids, & band 1 compensation picks. So the FA vs trade aspect becomes a moot point.
True. However if McCluggage decided he wanted to get back to Victoria and picked 1 club only, Brisbane would be somewhat stuck. Won’t re-sign, has picked a club, will get there as we all know would happen.

Yes you’d expect Brisbane to hope for a trade however our 2024 1st or a F1 offered up by his club of choice would really put Brisbane in tough predicament and most likely better than what a compensation pick would be. Do they take it? Do they allow a guy that could have jumped ship back to Victoria a while back get his wish, save money and put it into a greater need? Their midfield looks pretty packed and another Ashcroft to arrive also maybe freeing up money off their books helps them out.

Too many scenarios to work off but I don’t think it would be cut and dry like you mentioned but maybe you’re right 👍

From what his manager said on Gettable a couple of weeks ago, he won't be a FA come the start of next season.

IIRC Bailey Smith was OCD with professionalism as a draftee; strictly monitored his fitness, weight, diet, sleep etc. Didn't touch alcohol.

Maybe he has lost some of that hyper-focus now that he is a celebrity.

Not saying footballers can't have lives outside footy. And its possible that you can maintain professionalism and an Instagram career.

But there is a risk that his professionalism was peaking (pun not intended. OK, maybe a little) as a draftee. And that might explain why his career has plateaued a bit.

Mind you, he was fantastic late 2021 and in 2022 and still solid this year. So I think there's a bit of unjustified 'overpaid spud' hyperbole at play.

The OCD professionalism / non-drinking thing was a red flag IMO in Smith's draft year - that mindset was never going to be sustainable in adult life, let alone the life of a celebrity AFL footballer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I should’ve been more specific. I agree with your point that we need more dynamism in the team, however I don’t see it as a need for our list.

IMHO we will be able to add that layer with the players we already have at the club. For example, Binns and E. Hollands (who have yet to debut for us) and more centre square development/attendances for Walsh, Cerra, Cuningham, C. Durdin, O. Hollands, Z. Williams, C. Curnow, J. Martin etc.

If we’re going to add an established player from another club for a huge chunk of our draft capital, I would much rather target a high quality small forward with elite pace. But as it stands, I would rather back in our recruitment and development teams to do more with less which will keep us in the flag window longer than otherwise possible.

1 million percent correct.

Kid is a gun.Tore it apart against us in the final.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Didn't really tear us apart though. Played well with 23 touches and 2 goals. Played on Doc mainly who had 22 touches and one goal. Guilden did get two coaches votes but Acres got 9 and Walsh had 8 and both had significantly more impact than Guilden.

Smith linked to the Hawks and Cats, which isn't surprising given the cap space both will have end of next year

While our cap space is at a better level, especially next year, I doubt it would be enough for Smith (like most top 8 sides), nor would we have the trade capital with the Campo boys coming

Only way I see Smith at Carlton, would be if he is willing to take market unders

Get Nick Daicos or Petracca.
Make it happen.
I was a bit bewildered.
Was it going to suddenly rain magic Guldens out of the sky? Or from a unicorn's splendid (ass)?

But now I'm up to speed.
Thanks KoPhi.💙
I ask myself why hasn't Austin already got both - we need them and we need them NOW!
I know...right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back